Twitter: Houston Texans hire Jimmy Johnson to advise on GM/HC search

fredp22

Reaction score
Jerry used Garrett as his advisor.
Jerry asked Garrett during his exit interview if MM would be good. Jason said "yes" .
end of search.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Smart way of doing it however the result might not be good since there is more to it than just having all star advisors .

yesfan

Reaction score
I believe the Dolphins have the Texans first round pick next year.

GMO415

Reaction score
Great idea. Jerry's an idiot who failed to hire him as a consultant years ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Still in love with Garrett, huh?
Not at all. But he was arguably one of our most successful coaches the last 25 years and doesn’t appear to have been the problem many claimed he was. My claim was always he was our greatest puppet making the most of his situation with our dysfunctional organization.

Jimmy had already touted Garrett as the next Lions HC and spoken highly of him. I’m not sure why I’d align more with some agenda driven Lynch Mob anonymous yahoo’s on a fan site that notable Cowboy greats like Jimmy and Troy.

Mannix

Reaction score
Jimmy said that we are good with Corky....so, there's that.

aria

Reaction score
..might be a good thing too. Good things happen when Jerry is infuriated. ;)..
I’m not on team tank for draft picks but if I knew it would cause something as drastic as Jerrah hiring an actual GM then I would run for president of team tank.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wow. Never heard of a team doing something like this. I like it.

Actually, there's a tweet out there that it's NOT an advisory committee but the owner is indeed getting advice from all three. Remember he has admitted he'll also get input from Watson.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
So wait, you can actually put together a group of experienced, successful NFL professionals in order to pick their brain and make the beat decision possible for your team? I thought you had to hire the first guy whose name popped up when you Googled "former Superbowl head coach." I wonder if Jerry knows this is allowed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I love jimmy, at this point he is more knowledgeable and up to speed on fishing and beer than he is on cutting edge football....

Like many the game has passed him by strategy wise but he’s perfect in terms of being a judge of character and networking.....not a gm type and way past coaching so a consulting type of role is perfect

grewt to hear
Actually, I believe part of Jimmy’s expertise will always be needed: How to rebuild a strong culture. If you look at his whole career at all levels, Jimmy was a master builder of a strong football culture. Toughness, vision, and how to motivate. Everything we're missing right now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all. But he was arguably one of our most successful coaches the last 25 years and doesn’t appear to have been the problem many claimed he was. My claim was always he was our greatest puppet making the most of his situation with our dysfunctional organization.

Jimmy had already touted Garrett as the next Lions HC and spoken highly of him. I’m not sure why I’d align more with some agenda driven Lynch Mob anonymous yahoo’s on a fan site that notable Cowboy greats like Jimmy and Troy.

It’s pretty safe bet he’d be a candidate, and Jimmy would lend some validation to the hire. I’m sure there are multiple capable candidates on the list, though. It’d be fun to have him back in Texas, though. I like the move to have Jimmy involved by the Texans.