Twitter: How Amari Cooper trade hurt the Raiders - 3 years

Shane612

Reaction score
You are so correct on most number 1 receivers having their way with defenses that provide single coverage. IMO Amari is a physical weapon with his blocking and ability to read defenders, along with his ability to hit a home run with a single defensive misstep. I agree that when he is injured it is frustrating knowing what he is capable of doing against even the best defender.
You're describing 90% of all receivers in the NFL.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok. Here it goes....
Cooper is ok as a receiver, but he isn't anything special. He'll get you 1,100 yards. Do you need to pay someone $18,000,000.00 per to do that?
How many times has he been MIA...when the team needed him the most?
Imagine what he could do if he actually wanted to play every game. Maybe he's just too cool for school.
Over a 16 game season, it's not that difficult to get 1,000 yards, for a #1 receiver. This year there are 17 regular season game, so, I'm expecting about 1,300 yards.
Cee Dee Lamb has already past him as a #1 receiver.
Lamb is so much more dynamic than Cooper.

This is a horrible take. Just stop

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Y'all go ahead and keep thinking this team doesn't need Amari because of Ceedee and because of cap space. I think he's the cornerstone that makes the offense dominant. His route running is second to none and his impact in the locker room and with the young WRs has been discussed time and time again. And I think he takes alot of attention away from Ceedee which lets 88 eat. He hasn't disappeared at all this year and from what I've heard has been playing through multiple injuries. Yes, of course with Dak the offense will be good no matter what, but it's currently dominant. If I'm Jerry I find a way to keep Cooper until he unexpectedly falls off or he just has to go to pay Diggs and Parsons. I absolutely love Zeke but I'm cutting Zeke before Cooper, and D-Law before both of them. In this NFL having multiple great pass catchers is a must. Think about the last few teams that have made the SB. All have multiple elite pass catching weapons, not just one #1 WR and some JAGs, which is what we would have if Cooper leaves. Schultz is good but he's no Kelce and either Gallup or Wilson will leave no matter what happens with Amari.
Whats funny is that Amari's contract is actually really really good. People look at the AAV or "100 million". Those are fake numbers. His contract was basically 2 years, 34 million

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If/when he gets healthy really watch the passing game in this offense flourish. Especially once Gallup also gets back.

Coopers playing with busted ribs. You can see it too.

Zman5

Reaction score
What do you expect them to say?

What are you talking about? I am going by how they are playing us on the field. Not what they said. The way the opposing defenses pay more attention to Cooper should tell you who they think is more dangerous to do more damage to their defenses.

Last edited:

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
:hammer:

I wish everyone would read and understand what you just said. Well put. This is why, no matter how much one likes Cooper (including me), it might be best to make him a June 1st cut (if not traded before the trade deadline next week) and use some of his savings to resign Gallup at a reasonable team-friendly price that works for both parties. The same needs to be done to D-Law and his overpaid contract. Players with overpaid contracts whose performance is not living up to their pay and whose backups are proving they can fill in and play well, need to be cut or traded if this team wants to seriously afford to keep a majority of this playoff capable team intact.

There is no winning either way. If you pay selective players too much you will lose other players. If you don’t play those selected players too much you lose them to free agency. An NFL GM has tough decisions to make that fans will always second guess, no matter what decision is made.

Also when it comes to paying players on their second contracts, there isn’t many IF ANY team friendly contracts. Second contracts are always a team value hindrance. If anyone can point one out I’ll be surprised.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Voch put up a video showing Amari triple covered on a play. If teams are using multiple defenders to take away Cooper that means Ceedee is likely getting single coverage. Ceedee is gonna win single coverage more often than not. The reason the offense is so good is because teams have to pick there poison between the different receiving options and rushing attack as well. Dak doesn't have to force the ball to Amari. The yardage might not be there every game but he is still impacting the game. Do you think Schultz is statistically top 5 among tight ends if he is the #1 or #2 option?

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the trade and think it was a great deal for us. But, to fairly judge it, you have to figure out what we might have done with both the pick and the $20M per year we gave Cooper. What if we drafted AJ Brown and signed a guy like Hargrave for the middle of our DL or used the money on a better CB than Brown? Of course we also might have drafted a guy who never played and overpaid some FA we all sit here *****ing about too :flagwave:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Raiders have done some of the dumbest trades ever. They thought their talent aquisition ability was elite so they traded elite players for ammo only to find out they really shooting blanks. Just goes to show you how hard it is to replace a guy like cooper even if he is always nicked up.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it's about timing and who we have developing behind the high-paid players. We don't have anyone behind Cooper/Lamb that looks promising so if we cut Cooper we're looking at signing someone else, or throwing a 1st/2nd round pick at the position to start immediately. Compare that to LDE where we have Golston developing nicely, and Basham looking okay cover....it's much easier to cut/trade Lawrence with a couple of guys already on the roster looking capable to cover his position. The other position is OT given Steele looks a starter but I'm not sure I'd go in that direction either because Tyron has his neck/back issues and it's so damn hard to find a good OT outside the 1st round.

Valid point about Cooper/Lamb. When Gallup, Wilson and Brown sign elsewhere, there is no-one left. I think they will try to sign Brown or Wilson again, assuming they don't dump Cooper and his contract. Brown is not the receiver Wilson is, but he is a good blocker in the run and screen game. I think the Cowboys are going to go DE, WR, OG/OT, S, CB, LB in the draft in some order. I assume they think they can be as successful drafting in 2022 as they have been the past couple of years.

J12B

Reaction score
We gave up a 1st for the right to make Cooper one of the highest priced WRs in the league. I'm a fan of Cooper, but not of the trade.

Sure it came with a high cost, but this team needed a true #1 and Cooper has delivered great production.

Creeper

Reaction score
Football games. Was this a trick question?

The Cowboys are 26-21 in the 47 regular season games Cooper has been in Dallas. Do you know what their record is in the 47 games prior to Cooper's arrival? 26-21. They won 1 playoff game and lost 1 playoff game.

I have no doubt that Cooper made them a better team in 2018 considering who their WRs were before Cooper arrived. They had no legitimate #1 receiver. Beasley was the best WR they had and he is purely a slot guy. Gallup was a rookie. Terence Williams was probably the best of the rest which included Alan Hurns and Tavon Austin. But in the end, the Cowboys have the same record in the same number of games they played before he arrived. And I know about 2020 and Dak being injured but Romo was injured in 2015 when the Cowboys went 4-12 so it kind of evens out.