How bad is the depth gonna be next year

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
With the most part the NFL is becoming like the NBA. You know mostly who’s gonna be there at the end by the end of April.

2 years ago Dallas didn’t replace Amari and it proved fatal vs SF

Last year they went in with only 4 LBs and it killed them.

So for all Stephen wants to say about acquiring guys throughout the year, your team is mostly done in April. And winning 12 games vs bad teams or struggling teams (Lions, Phil at the time Dallas played them), doesn’t change the roster isn’t good enough.
I dont disagree one bit. Fans have easily called out the issues with this roster before camp the last few years with high accuracy. There is still some time to fill some holes before the draft, possibly pull off another Gilmore type of trade as teams need to get under the cap, and not be as dependent upon the draft, but that window isnt much longer. They still need another backer, RB, C, LT, DT in addition to several depth pieces. Those cant all be JAGs and rookies or this team is en route to 8 wins.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Honestly I think its more the sense that 2024 is just a matter of going through the motions to get to 2025 for this team. They haven't made some easy moves to free up cap space like extend Lamb. All coaches are on expiring deals, your QB is on an expiring deal, and all their free agent signings so far have been 1 year deals.

Nothing at all wrong with the Lewis & Kendrick signings so far, but I'm yet to see anything to change my mind that they're focused in on 2025. I'll get through the draft and see what they do before I really sour on this team for this year though.
We seem to be setting ourselves up for a down 2024. We’re staying with McCarthy who should have been fired after the debacle to the Packers. We’re bringing back Mike Zimmer who Jerry fired as the DC years ago. We’re losing players to free agency and all we’ve done is sign a 32 year old LB. We have nothing at RB currently but a midget who averaged 1.9 a carry last season and wasn’t even activated for a few games.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
No one knows how bad anything will be until we complete free agency, make our draft picks and see how things play out when training camp and the regular season begins. The doom and gloom on the board is the worst I’ve seen in awhile. Most of the fan base is preparing for the worst in 2024.
I'm expecting another 12-5 season with an early post season exit.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm expecting another 12-5 season with an early post season exit.
I’m not expecting another 12-5 season. I don’t have a good feeling about next season. It’s going to be tough rebounding from the playoff loss. We don’t have the money to improve the team and have gotten worse with the players we’ve lost. The running game could be an even bigger problem next season. We have nothing at RB. We may have to hit a grand slam in the draft to avoid a down season,

CowboyChris

Reaction score
We don’t have the money to improve the team and have gotten worse with the players we’ve lost.
that’s not true, it’s been well documented that by redoing a few contracts and not touching Dak’s we could’ve had plenty of resources to sign some players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
that’s not true, it’s been well documented that by redoing a few contracts and not touching Dak’s we could’ve had plenty of resources to sign some players.
If everything that’s been documented is accurate you would think the team would be doing it and signing more players. One of the big concerns was our running game and right now we have nothing at RB. We’ve gotten worse in an area that was already a problem.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what Stephen is spinning. They’re looking for lower priced players because they’re going to need plenty of cap space to re-sign three players with huge contracts that don’t show up for the playoffs.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
If everything that’s been documented is accurate you would think the team would be doing it and signing more players. One of the big concerns was our running game and right now we have nothing at RB. We’ve gotten worse in an area that was already a problem.
it is accurate and we will have to redo those contracts, why this hasn’t happened yet is beyond me. it’s inevitable

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
it is accurate and we will have to redo those contracts, why this hasn’t happened yet is beyond me. it’s inevitable
Only the Joneses know exactly what the situation is. They have three huge bank breaking extensions coming up, which is keeping the team from signing high priced free agents.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Interesting to seewhat the CAP would be if we'd re-signed: Fowler, Armstrong, Biadasz and Tyron.
Did Fowler /Armstrong want the money and DQ ‍♂️, what does it cost us to keep them? Is Badass worth a second C1 type money.....Tyron, uncertain what his market is, he may have to wait until after the draft.
They could've made it work with restructures with room to spare, but I guess they figured pushing the cap forward would only result in futility. Why mortgage the future when you don't believe in the present? They could've maybe signed one of the top DT's and solidified the front 7, but that would leave little room to address defensive end. They could've signed a top RB, but what kind of line would they run behind? They did bring in a nice piece in Kendricks, but I think that's more to get the defense moving under Zimmer than to infuse talent.

They still need to find a way to sign Parsons and Lamb to long term contracts and I think that's what this offseason is about. Stephen said it himself that the philosophy is to keep the core intact, and build around them. That's their "all in", which I don't necessarily disagree with. I just wish they would've been more transparent, without providing false hope.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Already lost the 2 backup DEs in Fowler and Armstrong.

Lost starting LB - LVE for his career

Lost starting C, RB and potentially LT.

Trying to get rid of WR #3.

Still more to come.

Not many draft picks this year and expecting anything after your top 3 picks is dumb.

There’s a problem of simply having enough bodies much less quality ones.
bad

Dutton

Reaction score
I’m waiting for them to sign a couple of free agents like Dontari Poe

ghst187

Reaction score
Depth isn't even a consideration. How bad will our STARTERS be?
This!
Considering we absolutely bombed last years draft, we don’t even have decent cheap labor the plug in.

Reactions: CWR

Dutton

Reaction score
They could've made it work with restructures with room to spare, but I guess they figured pushing the cap forward would only result in futility. Why mortgage the future when you don't believe in the present? They could've maybe signed one of the top DT's and solidified the front 7, but that would leave little room to address defensive end. They could've signed a top RB, but what kind of line would they run behind? They did bring in a nice piece in Kendricks, but I think that's more to get the defense moving under Zimmer than to infuse talent.

They still need to find a way to sign Parsons and Lamb to long term contracts and I think that's what this offseason is about. Stephen said it himself that the philosophy is to keep the core intact, and build around them. That's their "all in", which I don't necessarily disagree with. I just wish they would've been more transparent, without providing false hope.
The core disappears when it counts.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
How bad the depth will be depends on the injuries. If we remain healthy we'll be fine. If they actually play football then the depth will be a problem.
No LT1, C1, and RB1, RB2.

2023 draft didn’t help.

Bad.

A lot of pressure on WillM to find players.

Short turnaround time to get them ready to play.

Plus Dak butt hurt level bravo over his $$$$.

Plus Big Mike and his jacked up basic offense.

Fun time ahead.