How bad is the depth gonna be next year

DStar22

Reaction score
Already lost the 2 backup DEs in Fowler and Armstrong.

Lost starting LB - LVE for his career

Lost starting C, RB and potentially LT.

Trying to get rid of WR #3.

Still more to come.

Not many draft picks this year and expecting anything after your top 3 picks is dumb.

There’s a problem of simply having enough bodies much less quality ones.
I predict a 4th and 5th round RB and LB starting

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No one knows how bad anything will be until we complete free agency, make our draft picks and see how things play out when training camp and the regular season begins. The doom and gloom on the board is the worst I’ve seen in awhile. Most of the fan base is preparing for the worst in 2024.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score

Still more to come.

Not many draft picks this year and expecting anything after your top 3 picks is dumb.

Agreed, I'm struggling to see how 2024 results in a winning record for the Cowboys. Still time for Jerry to make some moves, but hope is fading fast.
It’s March lol.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s March lol.
Yep, still time but still a significant amount of holes on this roster too. I’ll be patient but I won’t sing Jerry’s praises and write this team in for 12 wins again until I see something to actually move the needle.

jay94

Reaction score

Still more to come.

Everything is true, but our WR3 is a WR 5 on other teams, likely out of the league with in 2 years, really our WR 2-4 needs improvement.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
No one knows how bad anything will be until we complete free agency, make our draft picks and see how things play out when training camp and the regular season begins. The doom and gloom on the board is the worst I’ve seen in awhile. Most of the fan base is preparing for the worst in 2024.
You make a good point.. we really don't know.

I think the GB game broke some fans.. and I think I should throw myself in that camp.. I haven't felt this gloomy for some time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Still more to come.

I look at it as … how good can the depth be next year…..

With the change over in some players, it could be better. As many fans thinks half the roster or more are jags anyway.

All teams go through a 20% to 35% roster change every year anyway.

We lost 5 or 6 players so far. Still have 10 or 11 of our own not signed anywhere yet.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You make a good point.. we really don't know.

I think the GB game broke some fans.. and I think I should throw myself in that camp.. I haven't felt this gloomy for some time.
The beatdown by the Packers completely deflated the fan base and our inactivity in free agency along with no big name signings has further demoralized the fans.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
It’s March lol.
And haven’t seen the number restructures we typically see by this time to create cap space. Why not restructure Diggs or resign CeeDee?

Those guys aren’t going anywhere anyway and would give you space to replace the guys you lost. This roster needs more than just replacing it needs upgrading badly.

But we can’t even focus on that due to current issues. Draft picks rarely make a huge difference year 1 so just relying on April is dumb. Even a great LT or Center needs a year in an NFL weight room and time to understand DL moves. Tyron wasn’t great year 1.

Big_D

Reaction score
This team has serious holes and a stupid front office. It's not a great combo. A huge step backwards is coming.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The beatdown by the Packers completely deflated the fan base and our inactivity in free agency along with no big name signings has further demoralized the fans.
Honestly I think its more the sense that 2024 is just a matter of going through the motions to get to 2025 for this team. They haven't made some easy moves to free up cap space like extend Lamb. All coaches are on expiring deals, your QB is on an expiring deal, and all their free agent signings so far have been 1 year deals.

Nothing at all wrong with the Lewis & Kendrick signings so far, but I'm yet to see anything to change my mind that they're focused in on 2025. I'll get through the draft and see what they do before I really sour on this team for this year though.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Honestly I think its more the sense that 2024 is just a matter of going through the motions to get to 2025 for this team. They haven't made some easy moves to free up cap space like extend Lamb. All coaches are on expiring deals, your QB is on an expiring deal, and all their free agent signings so far have been 1 year deals.

Nothing at all wrong with the Lewis & Kendrick signings so far, but I'm yet to see anything to change my mind that they're focused in on 2025. I'll get through the draft and see what they do before I really sour on this team for this year though.
With the most part the NFL is becoming like the NBA. You know mostly who’s gonna be there at the end by the end of April.

2 years ago Dallas didn’t replace Amari and it proved fatal vs SF

Last year they went in with only 4 LBs and it killed them.

So for all Stephen wants to say about acquiring guys throughout the year, your team is mostly done in April. And winning 12 games vs bad teams or struggling teams (Lions, Phil at the time Dallas played them), doesn’t change the roster isn’t good enough.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
jerry's preparing for 2025, dakless. It's a good idea. good job jer, save that money. You could go broke anytime.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Depth isn't even a consideration. How bad will our STARTERS be?
I agree! I think the Cowboys will struggle just to field a competitive team. I think 10 wins would be a very positive outcome in 2024.

Reactions: CWR

Big_D

Reaction score

This goes way beyond being demoralized. This FO is truly disgusting and would never think twice when it comes to overpaying their own guys. They couldn't afford a 4M RB after paying out 40 the past 3 years.?? LOL That kind of stupidity should deflate everybody. It's pathetic. This team isn't ever winning a dam thing with these clowns. I thought good things might happen with these 3 years but that rug has been pulled right out from underneath them by their own moronic FO.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How bad the depth will be depends on the injuries. If we remain healthy we'll be fine. If they actually play football then the depth will be a problem.