How big is Connor Williams really?

Creeper

Reaction score
In at least 3 of the Cowboys losses, the failure to the offensive line blocking, particularly in the running game was at least partly responsible. Inevitably, we all seem to blame Connor Williams first. Some of the blame is deserved but not all of it. The entire line is failing. Against the Jet, even Zack Martin got pushed around.

But Williams intrigues me. He is a second year guy who was highly touted when he entered the draft. Reading the pre-draft reviews of Williams almost no one thought he would fail at the NFL level. Many reviews described him as having a meanness about his game and videos of Williams bullying smaller defensive ends to prove it. I haven't seen any of that at the NFL level yet. He had a 3.7 GPA so he is no dummy and was athletic enough to play LT for UT. That's something, isn't it? Some drafniks had Williamm going in the 1st 20 picks. Some called him on of the best offensive linemen in the draft.

The first time I saw Williams in a Cowboys uniform, it struck me how small he looked next to the other Cowboys offensive linemen and some defensive linemen. His college measurements were 6'6" and 315 lbs. The Cowboys have him listed at 6'5", 320 lbs. But he still looks a little undersized to me for some reason. Some fans want to give up on him already. I get why, but I am not there yet. He is only 22 years old. He will grow stronger over the next couple years especially if he works hard at it, which apparently he does. I think once he gets stronger, we will see a return of his mean streak.

But still, he looks small to me. Does he look 6'5, 320 to anyone else?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The first time I saw Williams in a Cowboys uniform, it struck me how small he looked next to the other Cowboys offensive linemen and some defensive linemen. His college measurements were 6'6" and 315 lbs. The Cowboys have him listed at 6'5", 320 lbs. But he still looks a little undersized to me for some reason. Some fans want to give up on him already. I get why, but I am not there yet. He is only 22 years old. He will grow stronger over the next couple years especially if he works hard at it, which apparently he does. I think once he gets stronger, we will see a return of his mean streak.

Williams was small when he got here. Down to 296 at the Combine. A real measurement, unlike the random numbers generated for the Cowboys roster.

Last year he said he played at a "light 300". This year, supposedly came into camp at 315 and "noticeably bigger".
https://247sports.com/Article/Texas...owboys-training-camp-Jason-Garrett-134091946/

There were lots of stories about this. In some of the pictures, I think the consensus was a lot of that weight was upper body, and he still needed more sand in the pants. Which is fine and to be expected.

As you point out, he's young, still only 22. None of our great guys had an All Pro year until they were 24. He's still 22. I think he's been fine this year, and people are complaining about him out of habit from last year.

I bet he's beating Frederick at PFF so far this year. Collins is playing great, Tyron is looking healthy, and Zach is a stud playing a little off from injury. Nobody is a bum, and being the worst among these guys is no cause for shame on his part or panic on ours.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In at least 3 of the Cowboys losses, the failure to the offensive line blocking, particularly in the running game was at least partly responsible. Inevitably, we all seem to blame Connor Williams first. Some of the blame is deserved but not all of it. The entire line is failing. Against the Jet, even Zack Martin got pushed around.

But Williams intrigues me. He is a second year guy who was highly touted when he entered the draft. Reading the pre-draft reviews of Williams almost no one thought he would fail at the NFL level. Many reviews described him as having a meanness about his game and videos of Williams bullying smaller defensive ends to prove it. I haven't seen any of that at the NFL level yet. He had a 3.7 GPA so he is no dummy and was athletic enough to play LT for UT. That's something, isn't it? Some drafniks had Williamm going in the 1st 20 picks. Some called him on of the best offensive linemen in the draft.

No, not all of us.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Williams was small when he got here. Down to 296 at the Combine. A real measurement, unlike the random numbers generated for the Cowboys roster.

Last year he said he played at a "light 300". This year, supposedly came into camp at 315 and "noticeably bigger".
https://247sports.com/Article/Texas...owboys-training-camp-Jason-Garrett-134091946/

There were lots of stories about this. In some of the pictures, I think the consensus was a lot of that weight was upper body, and he still needed more sand in the pants. Which is fine and to be expected.

As you point out, he's young, still only 22. None of our great guys had an All Pro year until they were 24. He's still 22. I think he's been fine this year, and people are complaining about him out of habit from last year.

I bet he's beating Frederick at PFF so far this year. Collins is playing great, Tyron is looking healthy, and Zach is a stud playing a little off from injury. Nobody is a bum, and being the worst among these guys is no cause for shame on his part or panic on ours.
Yup frederick has been off as well.

BigDave95

Reaction score
He bulked up this offseason a little but he was TINY last year. I saw him at the Star last year and couldn't figure out why a linebacker (#52) was working out with the OL. He was half their size. There's no way he should be playing on the inside.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
When he gets older he’ll be better, but can we wait?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
According to this site http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=31020, Williams has given up 1 sack and been called for 4 penalties in 9 games this year. I think we miss him as a pass protector while he's out.

As a run blocker, he's still not strong enough at the point of attack but is good on the move (which he struggled with last year). He's an improving player.

If we can get better at the position, I'm all for it (and maybe Connor McGovern can eventually supply that), but it seems like we always need a scapegoat(s) after bad games.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He's terrible at run blocking, which rules him out as an RT. He's really nothing more than a swing backup now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No ready to throw him to the trash yet. He had a bad game vs Minnesota but has been better lately.

Dallas lost to Minny because of the defense and some terrible play calling not because of Williams.

Prime21

Reaction score
He is not strong enough to be an OG right now and every day I doubt more and more he has the frame to get there. Would love to be wrong because I really liked the pick when we took him but he is not good enough.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
According to this site http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=31020, Williams has given up 1 sack and been called for 4 penalties in 9 games this year. I think we miss him as a pass protector while he's out.

As a run blocker, he's still not strong enough at the point of attack but is good on the move (which he struggled with last year). He's an improving player.
Williams is good in the tough stuff and power will increase as he gets older. Even when Zach made All Pro his first year (at 24), the knock on him was a lack of power.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Trying to get an exact number for weight is a bit of a sucker's game. Programs will always lie about it, and the linemen themselves can lose up to 10 pounds just in water weight over the course of a game.

It comes down to strength, mostly. And yes, size and strength are connected, it's easier for a big man to move heavy things than a little man, but some guys are just stronger than others even at the same weight. If the program weights are to be believed, Maliek Collins plays at 310, and Zack Martin plays at 315. If you asked Collins and Martin to bull-rush each other and see who moves first, basically wrestling Greco style, I'll bet Martin wins it 9 times out of 10.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

His height is 6'5-1/8". That is an official measurement.

He got up to 320 in the off-season; however, players that gain weight like that in the off-season normally don't maintain all of it during the season.

He is likely around 315 and maybe as low as 310.

Connor Williams has been much better than fans/media claim.

He had a few gaffs early in the season that were highly visible including some penalties.

He had 2 penalties in the Skins game and a total of 5 for the season; however, he had 1 in the Eagles game which was the last time he had one.

From the mental side of the game, the is already ahead of La'el when he played OG and probably about even with La'el now.

CW actually shows good strength when he can anchor like a chair under a doorknob but obviously he could still stand to gain about 5 pounds just to have the bulk on off-balance blocks and those types of situations.

CW's has been really good at passing off and picking up pass rushers on blitzes and stunts. La'el always struggled with that when he played OG.

The Cowboys OL scheme is the primary issue. I think Columbo is a good coach for individual technique but he played in a man blocking scheme but the Cowboys run both zone and man blocking. They were at their very best in 2014 running primarily zone blocking with Bill Callahan as the OL coach. Callahan's coaching seemed to stay with the players for a couple of years with his assistant Pollack being the OL coach. The Cowboys blamed some of their struggles in 2017 on Pollack and they hired Alexander for 2018 which was a disaster. The promoted Columbo from assistant OL coach to the top job despite the fact that earlier that year they didn't see him and good enough to take the job which is why they hired Alexander.

lkelly

Reaction score
tenor.gif

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He should play tackle like he did in college, not guard. That’s the real problem. He’s better suited to play lighter defenders...