How can we best defend against the Lamar-Henry rushing combo?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry combined have averaged 297 rushing yards in 2 games.
The Ravens' passing is almost pedestrian, so our sorry secondary will get a break.
But our run defence, as developed by old man Zimmer, will be teSted, teSted with a capital S!
I can't say enough about how sorry our run defense is.
Do you think Old Man Zim can adjust?
I am not holding me breath.

Cowboys 30
Ravens 27

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we ignore their passing game we’ll get burned there. We’ll be so focused on trying to stop Jackson and Henry running the ball, they could hit us with some deep shots down the field. Our defense better show up and play well or we’ll get our butts handed to us for a second straight week. Even getting past the Giants might not be easy if we drop two 1-2.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Baltimore a physical team likes to run has the QB to pull off the RPO has been known to bring tough defenses into the playoffs is 0-2 and desperate. They’re even yapping about Harbaugh’s job in Charm City .

I suggest the Cowboys start fast and not depend on the soccer player so much ….finish drives Dak help out that struggling defense.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
And they won't be tired!
If we ignore their passing game we’ll get burned there. We’ll be so focused on trying to stop Jackson and Henry running the ball, they could hit us with some deep shots down the field.
:hammer:
So beware.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Ravens have the number one offense in rank Dallas is 17th . Each team have 4 TD’s through 2 games which tells me the Ravens move the ball just fine they just haven’t finished drives .

Flamma

Reaction score
If we ignore their passing game we’ll get burned there. We’ll be so focused on trying to stop Jackson and Henry running the ball, they could hit us with some deep shots down the field. Our defense better show up and play well or we’ll get our butts handed to us for a second straight week. Even getting past the Giants might not be easy if we drop two 1-2.
I agree with 75% of what you said there. As for the bold, you should probably choke on your tic tacs for even thinking it.

But seriously, we may have no choice but to commit to stopping the run.

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
Toughen up by playing much more physical. The Cowboys can and will improve on this. Discipline and communication need to improve as well.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lamar will get his rushing yards, he has too much speed. Henry isnot as fast as he used to be, but you must get hands on him early, don't let him get momentum built up with that 245 lb body.

Shut down Henry and the passing game and you have a chance...

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
We have the speed at LB to neutralize Jackson's legs. Spy with Micah and Overshown. Henry is another story. Their receivers don't scare me. IF we are able to slow down the ground game, this is a very winnable game. I'm not very confident that's going to happen.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We have the speed at LB to neutralize Jackson's legs. Spy with Micah and Overshown. Henry is another story. Their receivers don't scare me. IF we are able to slow down the ground game, this is a very winnable game. I'm not very confident that's going to happen.
Jackson didn't run the 40 at the combine but ran a 4.34 at Louisville's speed day.

If by speed at linebacker you mean Parson's 4.39 combine, he's the only lb that can do that, if Jackson runs to the other side of the field from Parsons, none of the other lbs have near that kind of speed.

But one thing to note is that Jackson has had more than a couple of games where he ran all over the defense, but the Ravens still lost. Seldom does one guy win an NFL game all by himself, Jackson can run for 150 yards, but if the Ravens can't put the ball in the end zone, they'll still lose.

Will be watching the game through my fingers, lol...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with 75% of what you said there. As for the bold, you should probably choke on your tic tacs for even thinking it.

But seriously, we may have no choice but to commit to stopping the run.
You honestly believe the Giants game is a gimme? I know we had it easy with them last season, but if we are reeling at 1-2 no way can you just mark that game down as a win. If you trust the Cowboys that much you haven’t been watching them very closely. Not saying we shouldn’t beat the Giants, but it’s not a guarantee. We’ll see how we look on Sunday then analyze that game.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry combined have averaged 297 rushing yards in 2 games.
The Ravens' passing is almost pedestrian, so our sorry secondary will get a break.
But our run defence, as developed by old man Zimmer, will be teSted, teSted with a capital S!
I can't say enough about how sorry our run defense is.
Do you think Old Man Zim can adjust?
I am not holding me breath.

Cowboys 30
Ravens 27
To answer the question in your thread title—We can’t and won’t.

That score…is awfully…. ingenious, don’t you think? This team isn’t going to hold one of the best running teams in the league to 27 when they just allowed old Alvin Kamara what felt like 300+ rushing yards and 10 rushing TD’s. We are going to get gashed and dashed (literally).

This offense ain’t scoring 30 either. Might be more like
Ravens 56’
Cowboys 20 (accounting for a last minute garbage time, stat padding TD from the 60 mil QB)

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
You honestly believe the Giants game is a gimme? I know we had it easy with them last season, but if we are reeling at 1-2 no way can you just mark that game down as a win. If you trust the Cowboys that much you haven’t been watching them very closely. Not saying we shouldn’t beat the Giants, but it’s not a guarantee. We’ll see how we look on Sunday then analyze that game.
Giants may decimate this team. They look better than I thought. Not good, but enough to stop even the best players (which we only have a few of) on this abysmal roster.