How come Jimmy was HC for 4 years and Garrette for 1

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yep. Aside from the clashing egos, which was a factor, Jimmy was going to Miami when Shula left, regardless of what happened.

Jimmy was a Miami man. His heart was with that team.

The tragedy is that if Jimmy had stayed with the Cowboys until Shula left in Miami, they're far more likely to have four in a row.
I think the bigger problem was the nonsense "feet entangled" call that they didn't make on Deion in the NFCC the year they didn't win it lol

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I think the bigger problem was the nonsense "feet entangled" call that they didn't make on Deion in the NFCC the year they didn't win it lol

I don't think Jimmy would've brought the "Lets test Deion in the 1st quarter" strategy that Switzer apparently signed off on.

I also think the game management in the 4th quarter would've been different, especially the infamous sideline infraction that Switzer himself caused..

Hard to know honestly, the switch from Switzer to Johnson would've resulted in an entirely different game. I surely trusted Jimmy to win in that game more than Switzer.

visionary

Reaction score
JJ has touched on this before , he stated hes learned from those past knee jerk firings that its typically not worth keep with all the changeover and wants to give the current HC time to develop himself and his system etc..

However I believe that time is or should be coming to an end..

:lmao::lmao2:

Man, you read posts like this after 23 years of mediocrity and you know Jerry has got it made

Only thing better would have been if you started with "Mr Jones " instead of Jerry

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because Garrett is our Tom Landry and we have to wait until he turns into one.

I feel bad for you guys. If you are right and Garrett is your Generations Tom Landry, that's kinda like saying Having a..........

Tofu Burger

Tofu-Burger-with-Mushroom-Sauce-9.jpg

is the same as having a Cheese Burger.......
075aecb6d1553a658717d2538efa022a

Honestly.... I feel like I should tell you guys that I am sorry.............

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[This entire post is totally my opinion]

Very few people understand the logic because:

1. Many people place themselves in Jones' shoes, would not have fired Johnson and would not have even hired Garrett
  2. Few people take time to contemplate why Jones does anything
In Jones' mind, he sees himself as the Sun sitting smack dab in the center of the Dallas Cowboys universe. Dallas had won two consecutive Super Bowls and the public spotlight shown blindly upon the head coach's head. Johnson had become Jones' eclipse, To make matters worse (yes it was indeed possible that it was worse) Johnson was itching to get out of Dallas just as he had at all his previous stops. Stupid termination? Unquestionably yes. Unexpected termination? Not really after you take Jones' narcissism and Johnson's nomadic preference into account.

Garrett sits in a totally different coaching perspective within Jones' head. True. Garrett does not seek the limelight, which satisfies Jones greatly. However, that aspect of their relationship alone does not explain why Garrett has remained his head coach.

As I have mentioned in the past, Jones sees himself possessing a very capable football mind and makes sound football operations decisions. People disagree but only because they disagree with the assessment and automatically dismiss what Jones thinks of himself--which is the only thing of importance from Jones' viewpoint. Jones believes:

• most or all of his roster acquisitions and moves are good enough to compete for championships
  • he has built the best home arena to help his team compete for championships
  • any head coach he picks is a solid choice to lead his team to championships
The last point brings us back to Garrett. And Jones. Why does he keep Garrett on his payroll? The simple answer is he will not hold Garrett accountable for circumstances that would kick other coaches to the curb. It is mostly due to his loyal nature. Jones will forgive one, two or five coaching blunders. He will disregard back-to-back-to-back .500 seasons. Instead, Jones chalks the shortcomings of the team to bad luck because he does not attribute loses to himself. He cannot. Admitting that connection would mean convincing himself he does not have a very capable football mind and makes sound football operations decisions.

Should Garrett lose the players' respect for their head coach and watch his players surrender multiple games in a row?

Well. That would be Garrett's fault and not his doing, would it not?

I would fully expect Garrett's firing if that specific circumstance played out. Do not be (too) surprised if Garrett remains on his payroll if it does not happen.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Jimmy would've brought the "Lets test Deion in the 1st quarter" strategy that Switzer apparently signed off on.

I also think the game management in the 4th quarter would've been different, especially the infamous sideline infraction that Switzer himself caused..

Hard to know honestly, the switch from Switzer to Johnson would've resulted in an entirely different game. I surely trusted Jimmy to win in that game more than Switzer.
Idk, maybe. I was like 6 years old lol

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

1. Many people place themselves in Jones' shoes, would not have fired Johnson and would not have even hired Garrett
In Jones' mind, he sees himself as the Sun sitting smack dab in the center of the Dallas Cowboys universe. Dallas had won two consecutive Super Bowls and the public spotlight shown blindly upon the head coach's head. Johnson had become Jones' eclipse, To make matters worse (yes it was indeed possible that it was worse) Johnson was itching to get out of Dallas just as he had at all his previous stops. Stupid termination? Unquestionably yes. Unexpected termination? Not really after you take Jones' narcissism and Johnson's nomadic preference into account.

Garrett sits in a totally different coaching perspective within Jones' head. True. Garrett does not seek the limelight, which satisfies Jones greatly. However, that aspect of their relation alone does not explain why Garrett has remained his head coach.

As I have mentioned in the past, Jones sees himself possessing a very capable football mind and makes sound football operations decisions. People disagree but only because they disagree with the assessment and automatically dismiss what Jones thinks of himself--which is the only thing of importance from Jones' viewpoint. Jones believes:

• most or all of his roster acquisitions and moves are good enough to compete for championships
The last point brings us back to Garrett. And Jones. Why does he keep Garrett on his payroll? The simple answer is he will not hold Garrett accountable for circumstances that would kick other coaches to the curb. It is mostly due to his loyal nature. Jones will forgive one, two or five coaching blunders. He will disregard back-to-back-to-back .500 seasons. Instead, Jones chalks the shortcomings of the team to bad luck because he does not attribute loses to himself. He cannot. Admitting that connection would mean convincing himself he does not have a very capable football mind and makes sound football operations decisions.

Should Garrett lose the players' respect for their head coach and watch his players surrender multiple games in a row?

I would fully expect Garrett's firing if that specific circumstance played out. Do not be (too) surprised if Garrett remains on his payroll if it does not happen.
Excellent analysis my friend.

Here is the cliff notes version for anybody that didnt read it...……Garrett's job with the Cowboys is not contingent on the win-loss record.

If Garrett was evaluated like every other head coach in the NFL......primarily on team performance....he would have been fired by now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent analysis my friend.

Here is the cliff notes version for anybody that didnt read it...……Garrett's job with the Cowboys is not contingent on the win-loss record.

If Garrett was evaluated like every other head coach in the NFL......primarily on team performance....he would have been fired by now.
lol! 'Cliff notes.' Well said but I would add: Garrett's job with the Cowboys is not contingent on the win-loss record but upon how badly the team will perform over an extended stretch of a season.

9darter

Reaction score
Your egomaniac owner wants total control. Garrett's basically an organizational figurehead who allows for Jerry to have that.

Jason shouldn't be seen as a HC in the traditional sense. He's as much of a real HC as Jerry's a real GM. You have your owner not only overseeing but to a great extend micromanaging all football matters throughout the organization. Obviously with the help/input of some managing key figures in his son, Jason and McClay. But it's Jerry first and last, in a culture of yes men and nepotism. The egomaniac wants to be recognized as the mastermind behind it all, only assisted by his family/inner circle.

I believe Garrett's held to very little accountability - as bizarre as it sounds for a HC. Accountability is put on assistant and position coaches and players to perform. This is why Garrett's still here when coaches are constantly flushed. This is why Linehan is next in line, and not Garrett. Why Jerry seemingly has endless patience with Jason. He's not being judged as a real HC. Jerry's perfectly fine with Garrett - he performs the role like he's intended to as a continuation of Jerry's will.

While not impossible, an organizational structure like this just isn't your best bet to win it all in a highly specialized and competitive league.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dont understand the logic. One won 2 SBs, and got fired. While other never made it past divisional. Has Jerry lowered the bar or will we see Landry kind of a run from Garrett coached teams.

Surely you realize the situation about Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with Jimmy's record. It was 2 big ego's that couldn't co-exist. In the present, Jerry admits he handled things poorly, and Jimmy admits that he antagonized Jerry and really wouldn't have stayed much longer anyway, which was Jimmy's history.

kskboys

Reaction score
My top three
  1. Jimmy a far superior coach and had excellent assistants (not afraid to have talented football minds by his side on the sideline)
  2. Hershel Walker trade
  3. No salary cap
4. Understanding of how to build a team. (Should be #1).
5. Ability to get players to play. Newton, for example.

blueblood70

Reaction score
:lmao::lmao2:

Man, you read posts like this after 23 years of mediocrity and you know Jerry has got it made

Only thing better would have been if you started with "Mr Jones " instead of Jerry
I said its past due time for change but I was convinced after 2015.. JONES has stated not me that he isn't going to just keep changing coaches at every setback before they've had solid chance..im sick of Garett and SL its time for firings regardless of this years final results unless we are in a Superbowl but even then I might do it..

kskboys

Reaction score

Garrett sits in a totally different coaching perspective within Jones' head. True. Garrett does not seek the limelight, which satisfies Jones greatly. However, that aspect of their relationship alone does not explain why Garrett has remained his head coach.

Nicely done.

Only thing I disagree w/ you on is the thought process. I don't believe Jones ever gets to that point in thought. I think it's: "This is my team, and I am going to run it."

I think he makes individual player moves w/o any thought as to the blueprint of what is needed for super bowl contention. Looking at the time since, he obviously has/had no comprehension of what Tuna did here.

visionary

Reaction score
I said its past due time for change but I was convinced after 2015.. JONES has stated not me that he isn't going to just keep changing coaches at every setback before they've had solid chance..im sick of Garett and SL its time for firings regardless of this years final results unless we are in a Superbowl but even then I might do it..

Let me try to spell it out for you (and others like you) yet again

The reason jones is not firing Garrett has nothing to do with the idea that Garrett needed time to learn. This continued garbage is heaped upon the heads of fans only and only because Garrett is a spineless jellyfish and bends over for Jerry at every occasion so jerry is 'comfortable ' with Garrett

So please try to pay attention

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nicely done.

Only thing I disagree w/ you on is the thought process. I don't believe Jones ever gets to that point in thought. I think it's: "This is my team, and I am going to run it."

I think he makes individual player moves w/o any thought as to the blueprint of what is needed for super bowl contention. Looking at the time since, he obviously has/had no comprehension of what Tuna did here.
[Bold] That is his thinking process. In my opinion, Jones entertains others' input--like Parcells. However, he has a preset conception that the best blueprint exists and has always existed inside his skull. That is what I continuously harp upon.

People have this preconceived unchanging notion that Jones will do what they think he should do--like strictly adopting someone else's blueprint and never straying from it. I believe the reality is that Jones prioritizes his own approach for winning football above all else.

For example, I believe Jones 'knows' Cooper will come in, light up the offense and the team will make a run for a championship this season. Is that likely? There are people who would disagree but that does not matter at all. Jones believes it and that is all that matters from his perspective.