How did Stanback do?

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I couldnt catch the entire game, I only seen the second qtr. Miles looked good, The Qb looked like He had down syndrome ( brad Johnson) Felix had a nice run and Stanback had some plays but he really didnt do much with them.

So how did He do overall? Anything good/bad?

FCBarca

Reaction score
He had a decent reverse on one play but his kickoff returns were pretty poor, IMHO...He isn't a natural returner at all which should remind Jerry that simply sticking a fast guy with size on returns isn't going to equate to success.

For me, his biggest achilles heel in being a receiver much less a returned is his footwork...He just doesn't have much in the way of fluid cutting and elusiveness...Not sure he's going to consistenly get open in this league running routes the way he does

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2185039 said:
I couldnt catch the entire game, I only seen the second qtr. Miles looked good, The Qb looked like He had down syndrome ( brad Johnson) Felix had a nice run and Stanback had some plays but he really didnt do much with them.

So how did He do overall? Anything good/bad?

Nothing really of note, but me oh my, oh boy, he is fast.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
FCBarca;2185053 said:
He had a decent reverse on one play but his kickoff returns were pretty poor, IMHO...He isn't a natural returner at all which should remind Jerry that simply sticking a fast guy with size on returns isn't going to equate to success.

For me, his biggest achilles heel in being a receiver much less a returned is his footwork...He just doesn't have much in the way of fluid cutting and elusiveness...Not sure he's going to consistenly get open in this league running routes the way he does

I agree. No return guy. And I was surprised that he isn't more fluid and sharper in route running. I know he is a project, but I expected a lot more from him tonight.

goshan

Reaction score
The fascination with Stanback should probably end.
He doesn't look quick or fluid enough to develop into a RCVR to me.

neosapien23

Reaction score
goshan;2185160 said:

Give him some time. He will do nothing this year, but everyone was saying Austin could never be a reciever and last night he looked pretty could. If by year three Stanback is not at least a number 3 receiver than I will agree with you.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
FCBarca;2185053 said:

This is pretty much spot on. He has no wiggle in his hips and his KR ability was awful. I think he is very much overhyped and he may not make the cut this year but good thing for him is Amendola didn't step up. However he still has a lil time to show something but I wasn't impress at all.

Mash

Reaction score
Stanback is a WR.....I didnt expect to much wiggle out there as a KR

Its like putting Hurd or Austin on KR.....I dont think it suits Stanback and that tells me more about our special teams coach then anything......I think our ST coach has no clue and has pictures of Wade :)

I just hope to see Stanback get some passes in the open field this preseason but as bad as our backup QB's look.....it wont happen anytime soon IMHO.

IMHO a WR trying to make this squad will be done during practice.....because during a preseason game......the WR's are in such a disadvantage because Brad Johnson is Mr Check down and Bartel cant hit a barn door down field. :)

The only way these younger receivers are going to shine....is with Mr Romo throwing them the ball in practice. JMHO

ejthedj

Reaction score
He got WIDE OPEN on a deep fly pattern, but Johnson took too long and got hit as he released.

That looked promising, but otherwise he's still a project

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I dont want to sound rude or anything but it is pre-season and Our Qb's are terrible. You cant judge the players outcome or potential from one pre-season game. he had a great pre-seaon last year.

saying he had a bad game and didnt do much is one thing but saying He doesnt have the ability to make it is crazy.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Mash;2185182 said:
Its like putting Hurd or Austin on KR.....I dont think it suits Stanback and that tells me more about our special teams coach then anything......I think our ST coach has no clue and has pictures of Wade :)

Yea, Austin has looked horrible on the KO return chances he has gotten. Especially the one he returned for a TD in the game against Seattle.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I doubt it will happen, but I'd like to see Stanback in there when Romo is in not just playing with the back ups.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2185196 said:
I dont want to sound rude or anything but it is pre-season and Our Qb's are terrible. You cant judge the players outcome or potential from one pre-season game. he had a great pre-seaon last year.

saying he had a bad game and didnt do much is one thing but saying He doesnt have the ability to make it is crazy.
+10000

Spectre

Reaction score
goshan;2185160 said:
regrettably, I have to agree

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Spectre;2185356 said:
regrettably, I have to agree

You are crazy!...Anybody that says Stanback doesnt have the tools to become a WR in this league is on drugs!.

I remember one of Barbers first runs was a Bad run He took outside instead of getting a crucial First down. Everybody was saying He shouldnt play, He didnt have what JJ had and so forth. Look what happened!.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Stanback's second kickoff return was messed up because it was Coleman's 1/3 of the field and Coleman went up to block instead. Stanback had to run towards the sideline to catch it taking his momemtum in the wrong direction. So he had no chance on that one.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
All Stanback needs is time and experience. The difference with him and Crayton was that Crayton got to learn on the job with the best QB we had. Stanback doesn't have that luxury because our team is too good for him to learn on the job. Therfor, he has to get his reps froms Jags like Brad and Bartel. He will eventually get it together though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Parcells used to speak about how fans and media are "instant evaluators" and boy was he right.

tomduhain

Reaction score
Why can't I.S. compete for a back-up "developmental" QB? He played in a decent college program - does he not have the tools? Supposedly he's got a good arm and can certainly run out of the pocket ala Ron Mexico.
Yes, I know we need a REAL back-up QB - one who is not as old as dirt.