How did Stanback do?

Shady12

Reaction score
Errm, whether he develops into an NFL receiver or not, he does have quicks and wiggle. More so than Austin who looks stiff.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
tomduhain;2186608 said:
Why can't I.S. compete for a back-up "developmental" QB? He played in a decent college program - does he not have the tools? Supposedly he's got a good arm and can certainly run out of the pocket ala Ron Mexico.
Yes, I know we need a REAL back-up QB - one who is not as old as dirt.
The Cowboys would never have drafted him as a qb.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2186589 said:
You are crazy!...Anybody that says Stanback doesnt have the tools to become a WR in this league is on drugs!.

I remember one of Barbers first runs was a Bad run He took outside instead of getting a crucial First down. Everybody was saying He shouldnt play, He didnt have what JJ had and so forth. Look what happened!.
I remember Barber looking pretty bad in his first pre season. He looked slow and didn't have the vision he has now.

Give Stanback some time and I think he'll show something.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Stanback will get a roster spot because Jerry is in love w/ his physical attributes. However, he isn't gonna contribute to our team this year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
FCBarca;2185053 said:
He had a decent reverse on one play but his kickoff returns were pretty poor, IMHO...He isn't a natural returner at all which should remind Jerry that simply sticking a fast guy with size on returns isn't going to equate to success.

For me, his biggest achilles heel in being a receiver much less a returned is his footwork...He just doesn't have much in the way of fluid cutting and elusiveness...Not sure he's going to consistenly get open in this league running routes the way he does

Jerry said at half time his real kick returner wouldn't be returning kicks till game 1. He also made mention of stars playing very limited roles in the preseason. Stanback and company are fill ins trying to earn a slot.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Disturbed;2185077 said:
I agree. No return guy. And I was surprised that he isn't more fluid and sharper in route running. I know he is a project, but I expected a lot more from him tonight.

running being a QB is different running being a WR

it's different footwork, body lean, and I bet some other stuff

he's still learning, as expected...or maybe not

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Stanback is a bust. Why not just get another #2 receiver rather someone who is a work in progress? He just seems to rigid and lacks the wiggle to run good routes. He just doesn't look to be a natural receiver and will take more time to teach him. Why wait while we can try and get someone here and cut him? I'm all for that.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2186784 said:
Stanback is a bust. Why not just get another #2 receiver rather someone who is a work in progress? He just seems to rigid and lacks the wiggle to run good routes. He just doesn't look to be a natural receiver and will take more time to teach him. Why wait while we can try and get someone here and cut him? I'm all for that.

Because He has all the tools to be a Damn good WR if He has time to develop and learn his position. If you cut Him what are you going to get? Jerry and others are not high on this guy for no reason.

It takes time..Look at Tony Romo. He was RAW as hell and He got groomed into who He is now. One of the top Qb's in the game.

Spectre

Reaction score
If he "has all the tools needed to be a great WR" then he would have been a WR.

The point is, he doesn't. So he wasn't. He has many of the tools but is obviously lacking in some area. Sounds/looks like he runs naturally duck-footed or something which will never allow him to get in and out of breaks to run crisp routes.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Spectre;2188557 said:
If he "has all the tools needed to be a great WR" then he would have been a WR.

The point is, he doesn't. So he wasn't. He has many of the tools but is obviously lacking in some area. Sounds/looks like he runs naturally duck-footed or something which will never allow him to get in and out of breaks to run crisp routes.

Keep on grasping homie. He was a QB because he has a cannon arm and is smart. He threw a ball 60 yards in the air for a TD while at Washington.

As for his footwork hes clearly a work in progress. When he worked with Irvin he adjusted the way he planted his foot to get more burst. To and the coaches have been working on his body lean as he makes his cuts, keeping his head over his feet as he is making his cuts. As a QB and track star he never had to do that. He only had to sprint.

It has nothing with his ability to perform and everything with him learning things hes never been asked to do before but as Irvin said once he was coached he instantly picked it up meaning hes a quick learned.

Lets not forget that he was hurt for all the OTAs and TC last year so this year is the first year hes had real coaching.

Regardless I bet you cannot name a single route he ran specifically that demonstrates anything you claim.

alby

Reaction score
re: OP

You can tell this guy has speed, but more importantly--he has football speed. Right now, he just needs to learn how/when/where to utilize it. You can't go 150 mph all the time, you need to see the lanes, set up your blockers, and anticipate where the defense will go. Of course, this skill is extremely difficult to learn and many say it's actually impossible to teach. But, the only way we will ever know is for him to get more reps in the games. I'm still on the "wait and see" approach with this guy. He is definitely a National Football League athlete.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We are continuing our evaluation of Mr Stanback this TC and preseason. The evaulation process will continue thru the year and next. At that time we fully expect to see the maturation of Isiah into a starting quality NFL WR. We think Isiah can develop into a Pro Bowl wide receiver for us.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Those kick returns were so messed up that no one could have done anything with them. Anyone who says Stanback does not have wiggle did not seee him in college.

lspain1

Reaction score
Still too early to judge Stanback, IMO. He was drafted as, and remains, a project. Last season his development was sharply limited by his injury. By any real measure, this is his "rookie" season as an NFL player.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I can't recall a converted QB to WR taking this long to end up on the field, honestly.

Even Randle El saw action early...I'm just beginning to think Jerry needs to step away from this a little and not obsess about the physical tools Stanback has...Wonder if he's ever going to make it as a WR in this league

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goldenrichards83;2185165 said:
I think he is very much overhyped and he may not make the cut this year
ConstantReboot;2186784 said:
Stanback is a bust. Why wait while we can try and get someone here and cut him? I'm all for that.
Prepare for disappointment guys. He will be on the 2008 roster.

aikemirv

Reaction score
FCBarca;2189073 said:
I can't recall a converted QB to WR taking this long to end up on the field, honestly.

Even Randle El saw action early...I'm just beginning to think Jerry needs to step away from this a little and not obsess about the physical tools Stanback has...Wonder if he's ever going to make it as a WR in this league

So you discount the foot and shoulder injuries then. They don't count - a declared project and you still want to see him on the field in the first year when we knew when we drafted him that he was coming off a lisc injury and then he hurt his shoulder?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Stanback had two good returns last year when we stomped the Eagles. I think I'll put more emphasis on a regular season road game against a hated rival than on a first preseason game with a bunch of experimental JAG blockers.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
FCBarca;2189073 said:

That's because not many are picked up. Ronal Curry comes to mind, although I think he did play in one game his first year as a kick returner.

Eit: I forgot Stanback returned kicks last year. Yeah, his first year outdoes Curry's by 2 games and 10 yards.