How did Stanback do?

FCBarca

Reaction score
aikemirv;2189094 said:
So you discount the foot and shoulder injuries then. They don't count - a declared project and you still want to see him on the field in the first year when we knew when we drafted him that he was coming off a lisc injury and then he hurt his shoulder?

Never mentioned his injuries or lack of PT last season...I went off based on what I saw of him and see how he will be able to transition to WR...That footwork issue looks to be a real achilles heel...Perhaps it will change but even seeing him return kicks, he's not an elusive cutting runner but a straight line speed threat...He's not cut out for being a return guy from anything I've seen, Austin has a lot better footwork for even that than Isaiah

aikemirv

Reaction score
FCBarca;2189145 said:
Never mentioned his injuries or lack of PT last season...I went off based on what I saw of him and see how he will be able to transition to WR...That footwork issue looks to be a real achilles heel...Perhaps it will change but even seeing him return kicks, he's not an elusive cutting runner but a straight line speed threat...He's not cut out for being a return guy from anything I've seen, Austin has a lot better footwork for even that than Isaiah

No, you said you had never seen one take so long to get on the field.

I am assumming you have seen him in person to say that he has footwork issues, because I laugh at these people who can see the WR routes on TV that no one else can see.

By the way, Hey Hostile - you still got that Stanback video from college?

FCBarca

Reaction score
aikemirv;2189240 said:
No, you said you had never seen one take so long to get on the field.

I am assumming you have seen him in person to say that he has footwork issues, because I laugh at these people who can see the WR routes on TV that no one else can see.

By the way, Hey Hostile - you still got that Stanback video from college?

Yeah, I saw him at camp...I didn't leave thoroughly disappointed but I did leave thinking a lot differently than I did before (Very hopeful/excited before)...I kinda went into camp wanting to focus on a few players and he was one of them.

I saw a guy who looked to have some tendency to not get out of his breaks very sharply/crisply or even naturally...You can see he's thinking, perhaps even overthinking...He's working hard, I'll say that...He's got a great work ethic unlike the new whipping boy Bennett.

The contrast is all that more remarkable when you see the other WRs run their routes, it's a big difference...He was the least polished out there in that respect, and definitely the slowest with his footwork.

Maybe I'm obsessing but I'm telling you, when you see his footwork you see he is going to need a lot of time still.

aikemirv

Reaction score
FCBarca;2189245 said:
Yeah, I saw him at camp...I didn't leave thoroughly disappointed but I did leave thinking a lot differently than I did before (Very hopeful/excited before)...I kinda went into camp wanting to focus on a few players and he was one of them.

I saw a guy who looked to have some tendency to not get out of his breaks very sharply/crisply or even naturally...You can see he's thinking, perhaps even overthinking...He's working hard, I'll say that...He's got a great work ethic unlike the new whipping boy Bennett.

The contrast is all that more remarkable when you see the other WRs run their routes, it's a big difference...He was the least polished out there in that respect, and definitely the slowest with his footwork.

Maybe I'm obsessing but I'm telling you, when you see his footwork you see he is going to need a lot of time still.

Ok cool, I thought I remembered you being at camp but I was not sure.

garyv

Reaction score
I just soon let someone else deal with Stanback. I don't like the way he runs routes, doesn't look very fluid in what he does. He is very tenative with everything he does. I would not cut someone that can help the team in order to keep this guy. They might mess with him for two more years and still not have anything, which is what I think will happen anyway. They need to part ways.

Spectre

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2188570 said:
Keep on grasping homie. He was a QB because he has a cannon arm and is smart. He threw a ball 60 yards in the air for a TD while at Washington.

As for his footwork hes clearly a work in progress. When he worked with Irvin he adjusted the way he planted his foot to get more burst. To and the coaches have been working on his body lean as he makes his cuts, keeping his head over his feet as he is making his cuts. As a QB and track star he never had to do that. He only had to sprint.

It has nothing with his ability to perform and everything with him learning things hes never been asked to do before but as Irvin said once he was coached he instantly picked it up meaning hes a quick learned.

Lets not forget that he was hurt for all the OTAs and TC last year so this year is the first year hes had real coaching.

Regardless I bet you cannot name a single route he ran specifically that demonstrates anything you claim.
Sure thing, jive turkey.

I know full well that this board is full of the ever optimistic, see-with-blinders-on, fan who thinks every player we have is a pro bowler and no Cowboy project has any chance of underachieving.

In truth, I like Stanbeck alot and am hoping he does develop into a great receiver. But I'm stating what I believe based on camp reports and my own observation during performances. I still haven't seen enough of him to throw out words like "bust" but apparently if anyone just states their opinion on a player's early performance, the "b" word is all the optimists hear.

It's all good.

I went through the same debate about Carpenter. 1 vs 100. Now all I see is 'Carpenter is a bust' threads from the same people who argued against it then.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
FCBarca;2189073 said:
I can't recall a converted QB to WR taking this long to end up on the field, honestly.

Even Randle El saw action early...I'm just beginning to think Jerry needs to step away from this a little and not obsess about the physical tools Stanback has...Wonder if he's ever going to make it as a WR in this league

"Taking this long"? He was drafted last year and played last year.

He didn't have any catches, but he also had to overcome injuries. And guys such as Ronald Curry and Arnaz Battle are recent QB-to-WR conversions who didn't have a catch as rookies, either, but developed into starters.

Shady12

Reaction score
Those saying to forget about him, ditch him.. I bet there is not one single member of the Dallas Cowboys organization who expected him to even be a good receiver by his second season. HELLO, he was drafted as a project. Any expectations beyond him showing something in year two and producing in year 3 would be insanely moronic and would show a complete lack of any football intelligence whatsoever. And now that project development has been hampered due to injuries in his rookie season. He is showing SOMETHING out there obviously. First of all there's his speed and quickness, real football speed, that we have seen. Then there is the fact that he's supposedly showing something on the practice field as a RECEIVER. He's not a finished product but he's showing that he has the potential to be a player. Obviously there are many nuances to the position beyond just running and catching..some get it, some don't..hopefully he will but I've been pleased with what I've heard. But too early to tell. The coaches and most fans probably realize that but going by this thread obviously some don't get it.