How did this FO allow Jaylon Smith accrue a year

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Who is talking about last year?
So old boy accrued one year on his contract and he's been on the team for two years. What's your issue?

After seeing the post you just posted... I retract this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is talking about last year?

You talked about the Cowboys using up an accrued year by activating him, and last year was the only year he was activated, and the only accrued year that was used.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
As @Nightman pointed out, almost no one knows what the exact situation is.
Huh.... I posted clarification months ago. Let me go find it...

Ok... Too long ago so I couldn't find that article but here's one from 2 days ago that states the same.... & I quote:

Smith's first season was a redshirt year, as everyone clearly knows. What's lost in that fact is what it means based on the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Having spent the entirety of 2016 on the Non-Football Injury list, there were no games in which he was active and, as such, he didn't accrue a season towards his career. This means, contractually, Smith isn't actually entering the third year of his rookie deal.

He's only entering his second season, as dictated by the CBA. This means following his initial contract expiration following the 2019 season, he won't hit the unrestricted free market.

RFA 2020

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...per-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-118430540

& this is why I don't understand why ppl get/got so upset over him being out for his first year. We lost nothing....

It's like getting angry because water is wet. :huh:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
my posts would be deleted for language and subject matter. All not related to the Dallas Cowboys.
I hope I would get the chance to read them before said abductions...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Huh.... I posted clarification months ago. Let me go find it...

Ok... Too long ago so I couldn't find that article but here's one from 2 days ago that states the same.... & I quote:

RFA 2020

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...per-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-118430540

& this is why I don't understand why ppl get/got so upset over him being out for his first year. We lost nothing....

It's like getting angry because water is wet. :huh:

The issue is that apparently he was paid his full salary for year 1, which may negate what you are saying.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The issue is that apparently he was paid his full salary for year 1, which may negate what you are saying.

Exactly.....even Corry's Tweet is confusing

Until we see confirmation from the FO it will be questioned

OTOH.....I saw on Spotrac that he got guaranteed 4.4m on his deal..... that would be his 2.9m signing bonus and his 2017 base and 750k* of his 2018 salary BUT not his 2016 salary.....so maybe he wasn't paid..... he did collect an on an insurance policy for falling in the draft so DAL didn't feel guilted into paying for his year on NFI

Year ...........Base....... Signing........... Cap Hit
2016......... $450,000.... $730,903.... $1,180,903
2017 ........$745,226 ... $730,903..... $1,476,129
2018.......$1,040,452* .. $730,903 .... $1,771,355
2019.......$1,335,678.... $730,906..... $2,066,584
2020........ UFA

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This guy has gotten more praise and regard as some superstar, than any player in the history of ever, for someone that hasn't really earned it.

No, he really hasn't. At all. In fact, I haven't seen a single legit 100% positive critique of his play, including the OP.

Wood

Reaction score
Stunning when you think about it and think about where his health was in his rookie year that this front office would waste a year by activating him. He wasn't remotely ready nor would he have been in the playoffs if there had been a push.

If this guy turns into a player this year, you have him for 2 years before you have to pay him....

your under-estimating amount of pride Jerry & Stephan have in being right and other NFL teams being wrong.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Stunning when you think about it and think about where his health was in his rookie year that this front office would waste a year by activating him. He wasn't remotely ready nor would he have been in the playoffs if there had been a push.

If this guy turns into a player this year, you have him for 2 years before you have to pay him....
last years experience advanced JSmith's skills therefor his more ready then he would have been

GMO415

Reaction score
Dudes still "Make-A-Wish".....until he proves otherwise. Hope he does.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I just root for the kid as he’s super talented. I can’t see this guy playing anywhere else but Dallas considering the chance they took on him. I don’t see him accruing a season that big of a deal.

If anything I’m glad he got the experience he did last year.