How did you get roped into becoming a Cowboys fan?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
LOL, was also the biggest NC State fan because of David Thompson but then the point guard for UNC got to me Phil Ford.
Your a Tarheel fan too !
Great I am as well.
When I started getting into sports in the 70's I was drawn to well run , Heavy tradition sports programs,
Cowboys and Tarheels both fit the bill.
I see in your user name that we should probably not talk baseball! LLOOLL

Creeper

Reaction score
My Dad hated the NY Giants despite the fact we lived in the NY metro area. But he liked Tom Landry when he played for the Giants. He also disliked Vince Lombardi for some reason. When Landry was hired to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, my Dad immediately became a fan of the Cowboys. I followed his lead but I was much more of a baseball fan than a football fan at that time. We used to watch the Army Navy game every year and I became a fan of Roger Staubach. When the Cowboys drafted Staubach I became more of a football fan and a fan of the Cowboys. I have been a fan ever since. I should note I was a fan of Don Meredith and the Cowboys before Staubach was drafted but that was because my Dad was a fan. Staubach made me a fan on my own.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
My Dad hated the NY Giants despite the fact we lived in the NY metro area. But he liked Tom Landry when he played for the Giants. He also disliked Vince Lombardi for some reason. When Landry was hired to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, my Dad immediately became a fan of the Cowboys. I followed his lead but I was much more of a baseball fan than a football fan at that time. We used to watch the Army Navy game every year and I became a fan of Roger Staubach. When the Cowboys drafted Staubach I became more of a football fan and a fan of the Cowboys. I have been a fan ever since. I should note I was a fan of Don Meredith and the Cowboys before Staubach was drafted but that was because my Dad was a fan. Staubach made me a fan on my own.
Roger is one of the main reasons I am a Cowboys fan as well.
Very positive role model.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I'm from Massachusetts. For me it was watching them on Thanksgivings, my father being a fan and does anybody remember that old electronic football game? On the box it had the Steelers against the Cowboys and I was always the Cowboys while one of my friends was the Steelers. This is going back to 1984. Cowboys and Celtics are my two die hard teams that I can't miss for sports. Thank god I have my Celtics to get me through the Jones boys debacle.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Once you get roped in it’s hard to work your way out. It’s like being hogtied.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm from Massachusetts. For me it was watching them on Thanksgivings, my father being a fan and does anybody remember that old electronic football game? On the box it had the Steelers against the Cowboys and I was always the Cowboys while one of my friends was the Steelers. This is going back to 1984. Cowboys and Celtics are my two die hard teams that I can't miss for sports. Thank god I have my Celtics to get me through the Jones boys debacle.
And a Debacle it has become.
:thumbdown:

Flamma

Reaction score
I was 30. My age has almost doubled since the last super bowl, so who's feeling the most pain?

I was 28. You have to admit, that age range from '92 to '95 was close to ideal for enjoying the winning. Oh the debauchery!

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Your a Tarheel fan too !
Great I am as well.
When I started getting into sports in the 70's I was drawn to well run , Heavy tradition sports programs,
Cowboys and Tarheels both fit the bill.
I see in your user name that we should probably not talk baseball! LLOOLL

LLLOOOLLL, my Reds are a mess especially with ownership. That gave up before the season started by trading everyone but Joey Votto and thought they would trade him also.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Once you get roped in it’s hard to work your way out. It’s like being hogtied.

The last quarter century has been frustrating, but I'm glad I spent a few summers with my aunt in Garland, TX in the 70s.

Otherwise, I'd probably have been a Browns fan like the rest of my family. Instead, Staubach and Landry got me. :thumbup:

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I was 6 the last time the Cowboys won a SB. Don't remember a thing about it, however what I do remember is probably much better then remembering a SB victory. I remember every Thanksgiving sitting in my grandpas basement, both of us having a small wired space heater keeping our feet warm watching the Cowboys. I wasn't real interested in the game, I spent most of the time diving from couch to couch with a football pretending I was Michael Irvin catching passes. I just remember when I would go to school the following week, I would always pretend I was Troy Aikman throwing bombs.

A SB is something I want more then anything when it comes to this team, but watching the Cowboys for 3 hours on TV a week is something I will always enjoy. No matter how good or bad they are I love watching them. I used to be a real negative guy towards them and would try to ruin everyone else's experience like posters here do, but the older I got I realized that the Cowboys don't impact my actual life very much. Having a kid really changed my outlook on how I view sports teams. Rooting for them to win is literally the only thing I can do when it comes to my actual experience of the Cowboys. I see posters on here who destroy and hate on everything about this team, and even though they think I'm being sarcastic, I actually do feel bad for them. The fact that they have so much animosity towards something out of their control is not normal and definitely not healthy. Call me an optimistic, call me a homer, call me a Jerry lover. It doesn't matter. I get 17-20 days a year to root for a sports team that I really enjoy watching. So what if I'm optimistic about them being better then they might be, it's much...much better then the alternative.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The last quarter century has been frustrating, but I'm glad I spent a few summers with my aunt in Garland, TX in the 70s.

Otherwise, I'd probably have been a Browns fan like the rest of my family. Instead, Staubach and Landry got me. :thumbup:

I was born in Rhode Island and fortunately my family moved to Texas when I was only a few months old or I would’ve probably become a New York Jets fan because of Joe Namath and his guarantee. I have some cousins who became Jets fans because of that. I actually had one of my cousins who was so desperate to break away from the strangle hold the Jets have over him he went to a hypnotist but it didn’t work. :laugh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Two words: Tony Dorsett.
I was a huge Tony Dorsett and Washington R******s fan. I hated the Cowboys, particularly Roger Staubach.
And then ... the Dallas freaking Cowboys drafted Tony Dorsett.
And instantaneously, I became a Dallas Cowboys fan and never looked back.
I don't have the abiding disdain and hatred for the Washington team because I was a former fan. I even rooted for them in their Super Bowl against the Dolphins when Riggo ran roughshod over them.
Of course, however, when we play them I want the Cowboys to beat the brakes off them.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I was 6 the last time the Cowboys won a SB. Don't remember a thing about it, however what I do remember is probably much better then remembering a SB victory. I remember every Thanksgiving sitting in my grandpas basement, both of us having a small wired space heater keeping our feet warm watching the Cowboys. I wasn't real interested in the game, I spent most of the time diving from couch to couch with a football pretending I was Michael Irvin catching passes. I just remember when I would go to school the following week, I would always pretend I was Troy Aikman throwing bombs.

A SB is something I want more then anything when it comes to this team, but watching the Cowboys for 3 hours on TV a week is something I will always enjoy. No matter how good or bad they are I love watching them. I used to be a real negative guy towards them and would try to ruin everyone else's experience like posters here do, but the older I got I realized that the Cowboys don't impact my actual life very much. Having a kid really changed my outlook on how I view sports teams. Rooting for them to win is literally the only thing I can do when it comes to my actual experience of the Cowboys. I see posters on here who destroy and hate on everything about this team, and even though they think I'm being sarcastic, I actually do feel bad for them. The fact that they have so much animosity towards something out of their control is not normal and definitely not healthy. Call me an optimistic, call me a homer, call me a Jerry lover. It doesn't matter. I get 17-20 days a year to root for a sports team that I really enjoy watching. So what if I'm optimistic about them being better then they might be, it's much...much better then the alternative.

Good post. We need the optimists to balance out the indifferent, which I, sadly, have become. But I too don't get as upset with the team's failures and shortcomings as I used to do. Age can soften emotions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

My brother was a Browns fan until his heart got broken when they sold the team. Even worse, he started rooting for Philly right after that.
I was too young to see Staughbach in person, but grew up watching White play. A bunch of us kids played in a huge field and a few were Dallas fans and that's how it all started.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I don't remember all of the details but I remember I was 6 (back in 1976). my dad was watching football on TV. The Cowboys were playing the Commanders (enter sarcasm here as I know who they were called back then LOL). He said The Cowboys would get beat. so I sat down and watched the game with him and the Cowboys won... It was right then I decided I wanted to follow the Cowboys...