How did you get roped into becoming a Cowboys fan?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
they will....its been 20 something years and there are hardcore fans that were born in the late 90's who've never seen anything other that 13, 12, 11,10 win seasons multiple times that end in the divisional round
Well, if that's their standard, I wish them nothing but the best.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You’re one of the few I agree with but we’ve had some differences. Lol
Yep, I think we tend to all have our favorite posters.
Then their are those who grind your gears.
I only have 3 on ignore but their are some candidate's that are trying real hard to make it 4.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep, I think we tend to all have our favorite posters.
Then their are those who grind your gears.
I only have 3 on ignore but their are some candidate's that are trying real hard to make it 4.

There’s several posters I no longer have discussions with. They either can’t keep discussions civil or they just enjoy stalking and attacking other posters to annoy them. If I see them breaking a rule I report them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
There’s several posters I no longer have discussions with. They either can’t keep discussions civil or they just enjoy stalking and attacking other posters to annoy them. If I see them breaking a rule I report them.
I here ya, I enjoy most posters here. But not all.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
My son is 12. None of his friends are Cowboys fans. I don’t think they’re a popular team for under-20s. Shocker…

75boyz

Reaction score
Dad got a government job that required moving the family to Memphis, TN when I was only 7 yrs old.
Early 70's.
Memphis had no team. This is long before the existence of Nashville's Titans.

But they played the Cowboys game and the Steelers game on tv every Sunday in the 70s. Those were the 2 teams that were marketed to the Memphis area back then.

So you either went with toothless Terry and that hideous one sided emblem helmet of the Steelers or Roger the Dodger along with Landry's fedora and that captivating star.

Roger was and always will be my guy and the main reason for my fandom.

A large percentage of people who grew up in Memphis Tennessee in the 70s and 80s are still either Steelers or Cowboys fans.

Last edited:

MLB53

Reaction score
Let's say you are a young enough Cowboys fan to where you weren't even old enough to remember the last Cowboys Super Bowl championship back in January 1996.

How in the hell did you get roped into becoming a Cowboys fan? Was it the Joneses and their wit and savvy?

Just curious.

You can always leave

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Here in the UK, the NFL started showing on TV in the mid 1980s. I however became a Cowboys fan because of a certain TV show from the 1970s in which the opening credits showed a helicopter shot over you know which stadium. Kind of ingrained in my brain over the years the TV show ran so when the NFL started showing in the 80s, I knew which team I had to follow.

It would be interesting how many other UK fans are like me and follow the Cowboys because of the Dallas TV show...........I can't be alone!

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Late 70’s they were, seemingly, the only team I saw on tv here in Kentucky. The uniform and NFL films cemented my fandom about the same time.

Tony Dorsett and Too Tall helped a lot. As a 5 year old I liked Ed simply for his name.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I saw the 70’s and beyond so I can’t answer. Maybe they like them because dad and or mom likes them and grow up watching them. My 2 cousins like the fins because there dad is die hard for them. One cousin like the Cowboys until he got to be a teen ager. That’s because he was young in the 90’s and was a bandwagon fan.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Genetics... as a kid, I would watch games with my father. He would, on occasion, tell me to bring him the phone so he could call Tom Landry to discuss a play... even when i knew better, it was still fun.

In our home, three people were spoken of with hushed tones of respect: Tom Landry, Darrell Royal and the pastor at our little church.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let's say you are a young enough Cowboys fan to where you weren't even old enough to remember the last Cowboys Super Bowl championship back in January 1996.

How in the hell did you get roped into becoming a Cowboys fan? Was it the Joneses and their wit and savvy?

Just curious.
I was born into it.
Grew up playing bare foot football on hot cement streets in Dallas, remember running to the grass yards on deep routes to cool the feet.
Selfish I guess.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Just curious.

1977 Dallas Cowboys