How do we "fix" this LB Positional Group?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
1. Improve the coaching
2. Improve the defensive line
3. Draft any of the top 3 linebacker prospects. (Yes there's risk with any of them).
4. No more Sean Lee (as a player).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would rather finally put resources at DT than LBs.

Both proved that they can play very good to elite in the NFL.

Its tough for any LB in the league if your DTs let through all the trash untouched.

If they still suck with a basic 4-3 and good DT play than we draft LB next year or the year after.

I believe that is the more likely route they will take this season. They are going to need to make decisions on both Jaylon/Lve, they will put them in the best positions to succeed. If they still struggle, they will look to replace them moving forward.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I believe that is the more likely route they will take this season. They are going to need to make decisions on both Jaylon/Lve, they will put them in the best positions to succeed. If they still struggle, they will look to replace them moving forward.

Smith had a ton of tackles, yes too many were too far down the field but it's hard to replace even sheer numbers of tackles. LVE recovering from one injury and had another. Possibly a freak thing, but you won't know until he tries to play again. Lee too old, too slow, removing him from the lineup is a no-brainer.

Take a really good linebacker in the draft and stick with Smith and LVE for this year. Can't overhaul the entire linebacking corps in one fell swoop, first of all too many other needs on the team - DT, S, CB, OT.

Linebackers don't play in a vacuum, improving other areas of the defense will help the linebackers, even if the Cowboys don't take one high in the draft. Adding one really good linebacker combined with better DL and DB play will be more of an improvement than adding heavily to one position...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Smith had a ton of tackles, yes too many were too far down the field but it's hard to replace even sheer numbers of tackles. LVE recovering from one injury and had another. Possibly a freak thing, but you won't know until he tries to play again. Lee too old, too slow, removing him from the lineup is a no-brainer.

Take a really good linebacker in the draft and stick with Smith and LVE for this year. Can't overhaul the entire linebacking corps in one fell swoop, first of all too many other needs on the team - DT, S, CB, OT.

Linebackers don't play in a vacuum, improving other areas of the defense will help the linebackers, even if the Cowboys don't take one high in the draft. Adding one really good linebacker combined with better DL and DB play will be more of an improvement than adding heavily to one position...

Numbers wise, if the likes of Lee/Thomas don't return, they still are going to need another linebacker starter for the 4-3 alignment. I believe that will be addressed via fa. Think they will take another linebacker, but it's unlikely in the 1st round. My guess we could see one anytime on day 2 with their 3 picks (1 Comp).

Gaede

Reaction score
Numbers wise, if the likes of Lee/Thomas don't return, they still are going to need another linebacker starter for the 4-3 alignment. I believe that will be addressed via fa. Think they will take another linebacker, but it's unlikely in the 1st round. My guess we could see one anytime on day 2 with their 3 picks (1 Comp).

Agree with this. I think the team will look for a Hitchens/Damien Wilson type, both in free agency and the draft.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Free agent linebacker?

For the most part, Cowboys have not shown they can make good free agent decisions on key players. Cooper was an exception, but he's an offensive player. The Hardy, Thornton, McCoy, Poe, etc. moves were more in line with how it's gone the last few years.

So I don't want them to "fix" linebacker with a free agent.

Really I think who, or what position, they take will depend mostly on how it goes in picks 1-9. Obviously some positions you seldom draft anyway, like punter and kicker. Some can't be upgraded early in the draft, due to cap ramifications (i.e. Zeke) Some positions are fine as is, not that you don't want to improve, but their group performance is sufficient as is (i.e. receiver). Some you can take a chance on (i.e. tight end, if Jarwin is recovering well, and OT, ditto Collins and Smith, and OG, ). And some positions don't have the really "sure fire", as far as ratings go, players in the draft (i.e. DT). And of course if you believe what Jerry is saying, Dak will be the quarterback, be it with a new contract or tagging him again. So quarterback is off the list.

So what position player you might take early can be (if you want to follow the above view) winnowed down to LB, S or CB. Pretty good bet one of those positions will have a top player available at no. 10, likely 3 quarterbacks will go it the first 9, leaving only 6 picks before Dallas' pick. There are 3 very good LB, 2 very good CB and 2 very good safety prospects. That's 7, no matter how the other 6 picks go, Cowboys can clearly grab one top prospect, and for me, any of the 3 positions will help this team.

After that, your player evaluation and drafting skills come into play, and yes some luck, like Diggs being available in the second round last year.

Of course the Cowboys can screw up the draft, they've done it before, but that's not because of available players, just noting what can be done in the draft, as far as players go...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Free agent linebacker?

For the most part, Cowboys have not shown they can make good free agent decisions on key players. Cooper was an exception, but he's an offensive player. The Hardy, Thornton, McCoy, Poe, etc. moves were more in line with how it's gone the last few years.

So I don't want them to "fix" linebacker with a free agent.

Really I think who, or what position, they take will depend mostly on how it goes in picks 1-9. Obviously some positions you seldom draft anyway, like punter and kicker. Some can't be upgraded early in the draft, due to cap ramifications (i.e. Zeke) Some positions are fine as is, not that you don't want to improve, but their group performance is sufficient as is (i.e. receiver). Some you can take a chance on (i.e. tight end, if Jarwin is recovering well, and OT, ditto Collins and Smith, and OG, ). And some positions don't have the really "sure fire", as far as ratings go, players in the draft (i.e. DT). And of course if you believe what Jerry is saying, Dak will be the quarterback, be it with a new contract or tagging him again. So quarterback is off the list.

So what position player you might take early can be (if you want to follow the above view) winnowed down to LB, S or CB. Pretty good bet one of those positions will have a top player available at no. 10, likely 3 quarterbacks will go it the first 9, leaving only 6 picks before Dallas' pick. There are 3 very good LB, 2 very good CB and 2 very good safety prospects. That's 7, no matter how the other 6 picks go, Cowboys can clearly grab one top prospect, and for me, any of the 3 positions will help this team.

After that, your player evaluation and drafting skills come into play, and yes some luck, like Diggs being available in the second round last year.

Of course the Cowboys can screw up the draft, they've done it before, but that's not because of available players, just noting what can be done in the draft, as far as players go...

They paid Sean Lee 7 million with an incentive laden contract. They aren't going to enter the draft without covering themselves first. Depending on how their board shakes out, they most likely they would lean more toward corner early on due to positional value as off the ball linebackers usually aren't taken that high due to health at the position. I do think if a Surtain/Farley and Parsons are all available, they would take the best rated corner. Also, if it was down to those two positions, think they feel better with Lve then they do starting Anthony Brown.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was thinking
-Think Parsons have the upside, but won't be that player right away
-Collins has all the makings, recently heard a few question why doesn't he play more physical with that body
-Bolton in the opinion, is the best Mike LB in the class, where the other two fit better as strong-side types.

Any of the three, would bring star potential to the position, but probably have to spend a #1 pick on them. With so much resources already, will they try to salvage Lve/Jaylon first, with a new staff, playing a more simplistic defense?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The only short-term fix is to sign a vet. Releasing Jaylon and signing someone like Avery Williamson would go a long, long way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The thing about Collins, a lot of people just look at him as a cover LB. That's really not all he is. I mean, he can be that for sure but he can also rush the passer. In the Seattle scheme, you need LEO guy. That guy needs to be big enough to rush the passer but also quick twitch. The question will be, is Collins quick enough to be that guy? A lot will depend on combine numbers IMO.

We aren't playing standard 43 anymore guys.

HungryLion

Reaction score
We need physical LB’s. Jaylon is afraid of contact with anyone who is the same size or bigger than him.

LVE is made of glass

cowboyec

Reaction score
fix the interior of our dline or it won't matter who are LBs are.
speaking of LBs there are some i like...monty rice,georgia...barron browning,ohio st...garrett wallow,tcu...paddy fisher,nwestern.
but we need to draft a marvin wilson or alim mcneill or bobby brown or jordan williams.
make life easier for our LBs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
fix the interior of our dline or it won't matter who are LBs are.
speaking of LBs there are some i like...monty rice,georgia...barron browning,ohio st...garrett wallow,tcu...paddy fisher,nwestern.
but we need to draft a marvin wilson or alim mcneill or bobby brown or jordan williams.
make life easier for our LBs.

Agree. If they cannot fix their interior DL, they will continue to struggle no matter who they have playing linebacker behind them.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
In my opinion.
MLB is the biggest need on this team. If you could find a (Rolando Mcclain who was sane and had the brains and work ethic of Lee), then move Smith to Will to utilize his speed, move LVE to Sam so you could utilize his size and strength.............then you could be much better as long as you added a NT/1T who demands a double team.

Ball hawking FS with crazy recognition skills would be the second biggest need.

Needs don't match the way drafts play out though.
The way the draft seems to be laying out:
1) CB
2) FS
3) MLB
3) NT/1T

If Dallas could hit on all four of these, they might have a respectable defense in just one year of "fixing".

They really need to hit on all 4 of these positions, this year.

J-man

Reaction score
Fixing the LB's is easy. You just have to get good LB's who aren't injury prone or passed their prime.

Are there any good, yet affordable FA LB's that are available this year? Than sign one.
If you have a chance to draft one of the dynamic LB's early this year, than draft one.
If you can take a solid LB in the later rds, than take one.
It really is that easy.

Now, can the FO do any of that without screwing it up? That's the hard part.