How do we "fix" this LB Positional Group?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
We could sign two replacement-level Joe Thomas type LBs and upgrade on LVE and Jaylon. Both of them look cooked.

Collins intrigues me, as he is a Vander-Eschy type of LB with monster size and great mobility. I'll have to watch more tape on him... top 10 is rich for an LB, but the guy is really talented.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seriously, it's time to cut bait and move on. I really do like both players healthy, but it appears to me that neither is ever going to be that.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would help...but it doesn’t matter who the DT’s are if the LB’s don’t know which gap to fill. There were way too many plays where our LB’s were unblocked and still couldn’t make a play on the RB.
This^^^^

cnuball21

Reaction score
Seriously, it's time to cut bait and move on. I really do like both players healthy, but it appears to me that neither is ever going to be that.

Im good giving LVE a chance as he’s still on a rookie deal and is a stud when healthy but it’s time to move on from Jaylon and his outrageous contract.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im good giving LVE a chance as he’s still on a rookie deal and is a stud when healthy but it’s time to move on from Jaylon and his outrageous contract.
I agree, regarding Lve. However, with the move to the 4-3, the team is already going to need more off the ball linebackers. Cutting Jaylon might be more of a 2022 decision. What's important for the team is drafting at least another future starter at the position. This could be an area where they decide to double-dip due to the uncertainty at the position.

morasp

Reaction score
Get better at DT.

I would be surprised if they look at LB early but Moses could be an option later:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Dallas would do well to score a round 3 value at LB.
You plug that guy in next year as the 3rd LB and let him compete with Jaylon and LVE for PT.
It buys you a year to see whats what in the new scheme and to kick the can a year on Van Jaylon.
Once Jaylon's guaranteed money runs out he is a much more easily released player and of course LVE's contract will end.
It does push LB up the needs chart for 2022 but if you have to replace both at least you have a 2nd year R3 guy to lean on.
And of course you can take the money you were paying Van Jaylon in 2022 and go get a FA LB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree, regarding Lve. However, with the move to the 4-3, the team is already going to need more off the ball linebackers. Cutting Jaylon might be more of a 2022 decision. What's important for the team is drafting at least another future starter at the position. This could be an area where they decide to double-dip due to the uncertainty at the position.
I think it's absolutely goofy to talk about cutting a guy you are paying a GTD 9.4$M to.

It's FAR cheaper to restructure his base down as per contract design and save money plus have the player.
Now a 2022 post June cut? Far more likely if he has a bad year in this Quinn scheme.

Donovan Wilson is your 3rd 4-3 LB. It's how teams play it now.
4-2-5 with a box safety as that 3rd backer role.

kskboys

Reaction score
This team will not be good for 11 plus wins for a couple years, unless the right moves are made.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think it's absolutely goofy to talk about cutting a guy you are paying a GTD 9.4$M to.

It's FAR cheaper to restructure his base down as per contract design and save money plus have the player.
Now a 2022 post June cut? Far more likely if he has a bad year in this Quinn scheme.

Donovan Wilson is your 3rd 4-3 LB. It's how teams play it now.
4-2-5 with a box safety as that 3rd backer role.

Yes, in Quinn's scheme Strong Safety plays more like an additional LB inside the box.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think Dallas would do well to score a round 3 value at LB.
You plug that guy in next year as the 3rd LB and let him compete with Jaylon and LVE for PT.
It buys you a year to see whats what in the new scheme and to kick the can a year on Van Jaylon.
Once Jaylon's guaranteed money runs out he is a much more easily released player and of course LVE's contract will end.
It does push LB up the needs chart for 2022 but if you have to replace both at least you have a 2nd year R3 guy to lean on.
And of course you can take the money you were paying Van Jaylon in 2022 and go get a FA LB.

Yea 3rd round is highest i would go. Jaylon probably isnt going anywhere

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yea 3rd round is highest i would go. Jaylon probably isnt going anywhere
There';s no LB I like at 10 that's for sure.
Top of R2? whew it'd have to be a sexy value.
But I have two R3 picks and really need a guy in that LB room.
If other things fall my way and no LB in R3 I also have 2 R4 picks.

EJK24

Reaction score
Every since that first Ram Playoff game, our two young linebackers have been a shell of their former selves. Rams killed Lve/Jaylon with a lot of misdirection running plays and now other teams have followed that same blueprint with tremendous success. Prior to that loss, many were talking about the Cowboys young tandem, as among the best in the entire league.

In my opinion, both lack the necessary instincts that the position requires. They are more athletes then good football players. This pains me to say, as I was a huge Lve supporter prior to his draft. You would think with their elite, physical traits the physical nature of the position would at least be covered. Neither is a good stack/shedder, point of attack type of player, they are more finesse run and hit linebackers then anything else. Playing more of a read/react scheme that Nolan tried to implement was a total disaster. They both should be better in a more traditional, one gap 4-3 scheme, but teams will continue to misdirect us to death until they prove they can stop it! Kind of liked the screen pass two years ago.

I don't think addressing the linebacker group will be the priority this off-season. Almost the entire secondary is littered with fa's, DL has serious needs within the interior. The front office probably would like to see first, if Quinn can salvage their careers as they both were premium draft picks that were considered core players just 2 seasons ago. A decision on Jaylon makes more sense next off-season as well as deciding if they will pick up Lve's 5th yr option on his rookie contract.

Since they are moving back to the 4-3, they are going to need another starter, assuming both Lee/Thomas don't return. Who are some of the top linebackers to this year's class and various things I have heard and read about them:

Parsons Penn State-is quite like Jaylon, has immaturity concerns, struggles with misdirection plays. However, has the Bobby Wagner type of ceiling due to his traits. More of a strong-side LB.

Collins Tulsa-a do it all, elite size linebacker. Many see him as a chess piece in the 3-4 and a strong-side LB in the 4-3. Possesses elite, size/length, but doesn't play like it. I've heard some Lve comparisons.

JOK Notre Dame-many view him as a similar prospect to I. Simmons from last year, who had an ok rookie season with Arizona. He will most likely be a will linebacker on the NFL level. Has elite quickness and strong instincts for the postion. His lack of size could be a concern for some teams.

Bolton Missouri-my number 1 pet cat in the entire draft. He is the total opposite of Parsons, lacks the elite physical traits, probably is maxed out, but is the best at mental processing for the position. Rarely takes false steps and shows up before his blocking assignment reaching him. He remind me of Kendricks from Minnesota. Cowboys probably won't have interest as they usually like the better athletes.

Surratt North Carolina-more of a will LB on the next level, who should make more of an impact in coverage early in his career. Pretty new to the position in which he is still learning. Some question him being too soft.

Browning Ohio State-possesses all the elite, physical traits team look for. He needs to become more of a consistent player, rather then a flash one.

I think all these prospects could go within the top 60 selections, I hope the last two falls to our 3rd rd selection.

Great write - up. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with some of the college LB's and where they fit so ill check out some of the names from above.