How do we stop the Giants' running game?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Kilyin;2428014 said:
I find tackling the ball carrier at or around the line of scrimmage to be an effective means of stopping any running game.

I know you are being sarcastic but that is the real key to stopping the NYG running game. You can't let Jacobs get a head of steam. You need to get penetration and disrupt plays with him.

Zman5

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2428085 said:
I'm sorry are we playing the Giants this week? Umm...no? Well then I don't care how they'd stop that running attack. How they deal with Gore is all that matters this week.

If you truely don't care, why bother to read and post to this thread? :rolleyes:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Zman5;2427944 said:
I got to admit that I was very impressed by how the Giants' ran all over the Ravens. Big mouth Jacobs was running people over including Ray Lewis.

The Giants have the perfect formula for beating a high scoring offense like ours. They can just run it down our throats and keep our offense off the field.

How the heck do we stop that "Earth, Wind and Fire"(man that's gay sounding) running attack?

Will Wade come up with some special scheme that we don't know about?

Well, that's Wades job. To come up with game plans.

By the way, we're playing San Fran next. Lets take care of business first because if we don't we might not make it to a Giants game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Idgit;2428078 said:
This is the right answer, except the 2TD part. They'll run it until we absolutely put the game away on them. At least a three score lead going into the 4th. Not sure that's possible on that team, and I know it's not possible with our teams not getting the kinds of big plays we relied on from offense or defense last year. We'll see if those come back the next few weeks.

Barring that, I think it takes a significant injury or two to stop the Giants. And I doubt they collapse at the end of the year they way we did last year. Most likely scenario for us to beat them is for us to squeak out a narrow win in a high-scoring passing game in NY in winter. Yuck.

The AZ game this weekend will give us a good idea of whether or not that's possible with that pass rush.

Did not do a real good job of making myself clear here. I think we would need to jump out to a two TD lead immediatly. If we could go 14-0, then I think they would have to think about throwing the ball more. They can't afford to get down 21-0. If they did that, the game would be over. However, I like 3 TDs more then 2 so I'm cool with that as well.

:D

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Simple. Get a hat on the ball. Run to it. It works.

Get our guys playing to stop the run. Make a play and not concentrate on making THEE play. They all can't be heroe's.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
I wish people and the media would stop obsessing and drooling over the Giants. I know they beat us but with a beat up football team. I guarantee the Giants don't want to see us in the playoffs with a healthy football team. They look sloppy in a lot of their games but they are winning right now. No one and I mean no talks about how they struggled against the Bengals and had to go to OT to beat them but everyone brings up our struggles with them.

They looked sloppy against Cleveland, against us(we just looked more sloppy), Pittsburgh(again they were more sloppy), gave 30 plus to the Eagles, the 49ers. I think they are a good team but not head and shoulders above everyone else. They have been fortunate so far this year but you know somewhere down the line the will not be and I hope it is against us.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
We need to score on them. Put them in a hole and let them have Eli try and win it. If they get a lead, they will definitely be able to sit on it for long periods of time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I still believe that if you make Eli throw the ball 30-35 times, he'll give some back. This guy is not having a great season this year and while everybody says the Giants have some kinda great OL, they really don't. They have a good run blocking OL but there not great at pass protection. Manning is throwing for 60% this year, which is not great. He's only got 2079 yards in 10 games. Romo has missed 4 games this year and he's got 1887 yards, but he's got the same exact amount of TDs vs INTs, 15 TDs and 7 INTs.

I think that if you put Eli in a position to have to win, he will not do it. JMO but I don't believe Eli is unbeatable. I think that if you get him in NY, in a position where the pressure is on, and the NY fans all over you, he will cave. JMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2428488 said:
I still believe that if you make Eli throw the ball 30-35 times, he'll give some back. This guy is not having a great season this year and while everybody says the Giants have some kinda great OL, they really don't. They have a good run blocking OL but there not great at pass protection. Manning is throwing for 60% this year, which is not great. He's only got 2079 yards in 10 games. Romo has missed 4 games this year and he's got 1887 yards, but he's got the same exact amount of TDs vs INTs, 15 TDs and 7 INTs.

I think that if you put Eli in a position to have to win, he will not do it. JMO but I don't believe Eli is unbeatable. I think that if you get him in NY, in a position where the pressure is on, and the NY fans all over you, he will cave. JMO.

I agree. I think Eli bread and butter is the play action but if you make NY 1 dimensional and force Eli to carry the load he loses his effectiveness.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Zman5;2428312 said:
If you truely don't care, why bother to read and post to this thread? :rolleyes:

Because it's a forum and that's what you do on a forum? Did you expect everyone who posts in this topic to be all "YEAH! Lets talk about how to stop the running game of the team we're not playing again for a handful of weeks!"

I'm saying that it won't matter what anyone says, or thinks, about how to stop the Giants running game this week. This week is about Gore and the Niners.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2428501 said:
Because it's a forum and that's what you do on a forum? Did you expect everyone who posts in this topic to be all "YEAH! Lets talk about how to stop the running game of the team we're not playing again for a handful of weeks!"

I'm saying that it won't matter what anyone says, or thinks, about how to stop the Giants running game this week. This week is about Gore and the Niners.

And you stop Gore the same way you stop Jacobs. You win the battle up front.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
"WE" aren't playing the 49ers this week. The Dallas Cowboys are. We're fans. We're not players or coaches. Jerry Jones does not need you to focus on Frank Gore or the 49ers this week. We can look ahead and talk about the Giants - it's ok....

BraveHeartFan;2428085 said:
I'm sorry are we playing the Giants this week? Umm...no? Well then I don't care how they'd stop that running attack. How they deal with Gore is all that matters this week.

Zman5

Reaction score
jamesdojr;2429209 said:
"WE" aren't playing the 49ers this week. The Dallas Cowboys are. We're fans. We're not players or coaches. Jerry Jones does not need you to focus on Frank Gore or the 49ers this week. We can look ahead and talk about the Giants - it's ok....

At least someone gets it :hammer: .

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2428027 said:
Not ball control, IMO. The Giants are commited to the running game so as long as they are in the game, they will run the ball. If they run the ball, they will be succesful. You have to score and score until you get the Giants down by enough points to completely take their running game out of the picture. Two early TDs would do it.

That would be nice. They won't give up the run down two scores early but the stress will be there and they will have to pass more than they like. I like the idea of the 46, run blitzes and stacking the box with press coverage. Plaxico bothers me some as we don't match up with him well. Perhaps Henry will have a great game. And you're right about Eli. He is not the QB Romo is by any stretch. He will fold with enough pressure.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Zman5;2427944 said:
I got to admit that I was very impressed by how the Giants' ran all over the Ravens. Big mouth Jacobs was running people over including Ray Lewis.

The Giants have the perfect formula for beating a high scoring offense like ours. They can just run it down our throats and keep our offense off the field.

How the heck do we stop that "Earth, Wind and Fire"(man that's gay sounding) running attack?

Will Wade come up with some special scheme that we don't know about?
I say we worry about stopping the 49ers, Seahawks and Steelers first.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2428504 said:
And you stop Gore the same way you stop Jacobs. You win the battle up front.

Very true.

jamesdojr;2429209 said:

*Shrugs* I am where the team is. I don't get ahead of the schedule cause that's not who they're playing. If you do that's fine, that's your business. For the the Giants do not matter this week, next week, or the week after. Once we get past those weeks then I'll care about the Giants but not a moment before. I don't expect everyone to feel that way though.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
we need to score early and often. Make it a shoot out if they have to lean on Eli to win it's our game. So we stack the box early play man to man with Newman on Plaxiglass and let our front 7 win the battle up front. I wish we had RW to put an 8th man in the box I guess Hamlin would have to do =/