How do we stop Westbrook??

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
i honestly think this is the most important matchup against philthy on sunday..if they motion him out into a receiver, sometimes in the slot, who do we matchup with him?? cuz if we contain westbrook our chances of winning become a lot better

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
TheSport78 said:
cuz if we contain westbrook our chances of winning become a lot better

Run and Shot (West Coast Offense) Defense

Containing Westbrook is no easy accomplishment. However, it can be done. Depending on the "look" the Cowboys give us, we'll execute accordingly. What I'm saying is if the defensive "look" is pass defense, Lamar Gordon or Westbrook will lineup in a RB configuration -- but don't forget, Lamar also receives well.

Pass Defense
As such, this opens up the field for Lewis and T.O. to get involved down field. I don't think Bill Parcels will commit to man-to-man, that would be a mistake, but even i a zone configuration the Eagles would kill you underneath.

Blitz Packages

You may have some success trying to blitz McNabb; however, screen passes could be damaging, especially if Westbrook gets his hands on the ball and a few key blocks from Gordon.

I don't know what your offense has, but you can count on some turnovers from Kearse, Brown, Sheppard and possibly Trotter.

We will be watching out for Roy (the demon) Williams -- that's a bad man!

Good hunting; or not.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
LT is 5 times the RB he is, and 3 times the WR he is and we contained him.

but then again, Lamont Jordan is nothing special and he ran all over us. So it depends what defense shows up.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
We only contained LT because they could not keep Gates in to block. If Gates had of played that game, LT or Gates would have went off on us and we would have lost. Gates back, SD is a good team. When they lost Gates, they took LT out of the pi5cture too so he could stay back and protect.

If we played em 10 times with both those guys on the field, I would wager we would lose 9 times and that 10th game would come down to a last minute field goal and the game could go either way

Dont think we had 100% to do with limiting LT in that game. SD limited him prolly more then we did.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
TheSport78 said:
i honestly think this is the most important matchup against philthy on sunday..if they motion him out into a receiver, sometimes in the slot, who do we matchup with him?? cuz if we contain westbrook our chances of winning become a lot better

I agree and that is just the type of player who kills us. Zimmer has yet to find a way of containing him so I think he will have another big day against us.

The Eagles running game is almost non-existent but Westbrook is very effective coming out of the backfield as a receiver. If we focus too much on TO then Westbrook will gash us for some big plays. I would also not overlook LJ Smith or Lewis.

Unless we can put consistent pressure on McNabb and get our offense going early so that we are not playing catchup we are not likely to win this game.

Reaction score
KC did a great job of containing Westbrook. Of course, they did it at the expense of not containing #81 or #82, so I wouldn't focus too much on him, because if you do, T.O. will be dancing on the endzone helmet again.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
If he pulls that **** again, l'll fly to Dallas and pull a Teague on him.

and you can count on Roy doing that anyway

Hiero

Reaction score
westbrook is almost impossible to stop, we'd have to look and see what they did lsat week to contain him. i think dat should try and shadow him best he can

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
impossible?

Hes a threat, but lets not get carried away

I'd rather overestimate an opponent than underestimate one. If you fall alseep on Westbrook it will turn into a nightmare!

Hiero

Reaction score
almost impossible. he can be stopped though just takes the right players and scheme.

dguinta1

Reaction score
He can be stopped but not sure by Dallas' D unless they are completely on their game and with a ton of rookies on D, that can be a tall order.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I'd rather overestimate an opponent than underestimate one. If you fall alseep on Westbrook it will turn into a nightmare!

I agree and given what Westbrook has done in the past to Dallas I doubt we will be overlooking him

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I know all about Westbrook and the problems he causes, but hes not imposbile, if he was hed be an MVP, and the Eagles would never lose.

Hes a pain in the *** out of the backfiled, and as a RB, hes average. And hes a big homerun threat.

Hiero

Reaction score
yes the word almost, means he can be stopped. thats why it says almost impossible. id like to see dat on him.

Hiero

Reaction score
id like to see us use the 2-4-5 more with ferguson and glover in the middle.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
Hes a pain in the *** out of the backfiled, and as a RB, hes average. And hes a big homerun threat.

That's not too shabby of a score card coMing from an opponent fan. Listen, Westbrook is part of a 3-headed monster threat. You'd do well in limiting his yardage at best. But if you concentrate on him too much, the other part of the monster will get you.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Thats fair, but hes not even the best RB in the division.

He may be one of the better WR's tho.

But Childress' creativity gets him insane matchups.

But hes great in open field. Believe me, I know, I was high on him a few years ago.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
Thats fair, but hes not even the best RB in the division.

He may be one of the better WR's tho.

But Childress' creativity gets him insane matchups.

But hes great in open field. Believe me, I know, I was high on him a few years ago.

I agree Westbrook is not a great RB but what makes him very dangerous is his versatility and it has been that versatility that has hurt us in the past when facing the eagles.

Hiero

Reaction score
he isnt really even a running back almost. more like a wr/rb. he gets more catches than runs usually it seems like, and his catches are where most of his yards come from. Mcnabb's offense is basically dump off dump off dump off, go deep, dump off dump off.