How do you fix penalties?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
LOL, i''m sure that's a taboo specifically listed in the CBA... and also the 8th amendment in the Constitution regarding cruel and unusual punishment. It's right there below the firing squad and above water boarding.
What if it is Michael Jordon's jock strap

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coaching.

Each type of penalty requires different type of correction. The worst imo is pre snap stuff. Should be an easy fix.

Plankton

Reaction score
It's a coaching thing. The Cowboys have been penalized more since McCarthy took over compared to when Garrett was in charge. When Parcells was in charge, they were in the top 10 for fewest penalties. Now, they are in 31st, after being 32nd last year.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'd make the player practice all week with a red star on his helmet. But I'd tell the players it's a friendly support system. The player that messed up needs team support so he doesn't feel so bad. But in reality I'm punishing said player, with the red star.
If you don't call these guys out, nothing will change. So this would be my way of calling them out.

Anything is better than nothing. Got to have a punishment system.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Drafting. Intelligence as a player attribute needs to be given more weight, along with speed, power, etc...
You can't fix stupid.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Benching is the only way because the NFLPA isn't going to allow anything beyond that. There's no depth. Think McVay can bench any of the OL on one that has not been the same in one game this season?

You could see the frustration on Parcells face when he couldn't fix it and I believe that changing from the coaches wagging the tail to the players is what caused him to hang it up.

Back in the day, a player gets a penalty he heads to the sideline and if he played for Bud Grant and it was a pre-snap mental lapse, he stood by Grant.

Today's coaches have to be more player friendly because a QB can get them fired. Just ask Dan Reeves or Mike McCarthy.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Just wondering, how do you fix issues like this? What's the practice for this?
McCarthy isn't capable of fixing it I guess, or else I assume this wouldn't be an issue for years. I don't know why, but its pretty obvious. I don't get it either.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
We have some very talented football players, but in my opinion - there are several of them that are just dumb. That's one of the larger problems to overcome.

Beyond that, it would be helpful to not have a Head Coach and franchise QB publicly question the officiating. Accountability rather than finger pointing.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You go to the team leaders and you get them to rally the team to institute locker room "fines" and accountability. If every player knows they are going to get called out in front of the whole team, it will be in their mind every practice and game.

Just to be clear, I mean a review so that the team agrees it was a foul, what caused it, etc.. Not just blaming a guy, determining was he truly at fault.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Moore deserves some blame for the pre snap penalties. The longer you are out there set and the more you move around, the more opportunities you have for mistakes. The Cowboys seem to move around before the snap a ton and I'm not exactly sure if there is a defined benefit to it.

Just changing the pre-snap routine to set and snap would eliminate a ton of these penalties.