How do you measure home field advantage?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wrote a computer program back in the late 80’ early 90’s time frame.
Though I knew it did not mean anything but it was fun to do. Plus I wanted to see if I could do it.

It took the teams total yards offense and defense and gave me the average and the difference between two teams.
As well, the points scored and given up.
The It would give me a prediction based on those differences. I then tried to work in the win loss percentage also.

conclusion. It didn’t matter. :laugh:

I do not remember how often it was correct. I didn’t keep track of too much, but it was around even or slightly above
It was more of a challenge to write it than if the results meant anything

Now today with spreadsheets it would be very easy to do. Depending the factors one uses for win loss percentage as well as difference in yards.
And what weight is given for each.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wrote a computer program back in the late 80’ early 90’s time frame.
Though I knew it did not mean anything but it was fun to do. Plus I wanted to see if I could do it.

It took the teams total yards offense and defense and gave me the average and the difference between two teams.
As well, the points scored and given up.
The It would give me a prediction based on those differences. I then tried to work in the win loss percentage also.

conclusion. It didn’t matter. :laugh:

I do not remember how often it was correct. I didn’t keep track of too much, but it was around even or slightly above
It was more of a challenge to write it than if the results meant anything

Now today with spreadsheets it would be very easy to do. Depending the factors one uses for win loss percentage as well as difference in yards.
And what weight is given for each.
Or any gambling web site. :popcorn:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I would love to debate philosophy with you but I enjoy debating football and the state of our team so much more.
You offered a philosophical argument so that's where I went. Now that you have dodged that philosophical argument, we know your offer to debate philosophy was not sincere.

The point (football related) that I was trying to make was that "homefield advantage" is the advantage you get by playing at home. The advantage isn't simply inspiration or motivation, these are means to an end. What is the end?
Home field advantage is an advantage in many ways. The first advantage is not having to take the time to travel to your opponent's location and sleeping in your own bed the night before the game. The second advantage(which doesn't always occur) is the home crowd showing up to cheer your team on while the visiting team has fewer of the crowd cheering for them. In some locations, the home team crowd is so prevalent they are called the 12th man. The means to an end is recognizing the advantages and capitalizing on them by winning.

The end is that the team plays better and wins more often when they are at home. More often than the alternative, playing "away" games. This means that you literally have a better record at home. How much better? Again, that literally means comparing won-lost records between playing at home and playing away. The difference represents the home field advantage....literally when you subtract win percentage for away games from winning percentage at home."
Being the better team is an advantage of its own the trumps home-field advantage. Take that into account when you are counting home wins and losses. You find out that home-field advantage doesn't really matter if your team is not that good.

Homefield advantage = winning percentage at home - winning percentage away.
That is complete nonscense. The better team has the biggest advantage no matter where they are playing. The equation for that is Better team > worse team. Do you see how much simpler this really is?

The larger that number the more homefield advantaged that you have. Again, look at the Ravens. They won 73% of their games at home this past decade and only 49% at away games. That is amazing....and troubling if you are a Raven fan. This means that the Ravens are dominant at home, surely if a team is winning almost three quarters of their games then they are dominant. And yet, simply relocating the game means that the Ravens lose more than half the time, although barely, 49%.
The Ravens won a few games on the road as well. Their winning was more about being the better team than being at home or away. There is something to be said about the home-field advantage as I have previously explained. I have no doubt some teams capitalize on those advantages more than other teams. The Ravens are one of those teams, but still, their biggest advantage is being the better team most of the time.

This isn't deceptive or corrupt, it is basic and straight, this is why I presented it. I don't have any ulterior motive other than sharing this with fellow Cowboy fans. Now does this guarantee that these numbers will remain constant in the future? Of course not. Teams, coaches, circumstances, these all change. It simply illustrates the current trend.
Follow the trend of winning when you are the better team. This stat is even more amazing than a home-field advantage.

It's no big deal, if this isn't something you are into, that's cool. Believe me, I'm not running for All knowing All Seeing Cowboy Superfan. I don't require anyone to bow in deference to my superior NFL related knowledge and intellect. I've made too many mistakes in the form of really bad predictions to ever think along those lines.
Your self-perceived superior NFL-related knowledge and intellect is nothing but hooey. The better team has the advantage. Period end of discussion.

plasticman

Reaction score
You offered a philosophical argument so that's where I went. Now that you have dodged that philosophical argument, we know your offer to debate philosophy was not sincere.

Home field advantage is an advantage in many ways. The first advantage is not having to take the time to travel to your opponent's location and sleeping in your own bed the night before the game. The second advantage(which doesn't always occur) is the home crowd showing up to cheer your team on while the visiting team has fewer of the crowd cheering for them. In some locations, the home team crowd is so prevalent they are called the 12th man. The means to an end is recognizing the advantages and capitalizing on them by winning.

Being the better team is an advantage of its own the trumps home-field advantage. Take that into account when you are counting home wins and losses. You find out that home-field advantage doesn't really matter if your team is not that good.

That is complete nonscense. The better team has the biggest advantage no matter where they are playing. The equation for that is Better team > worse team. Do you see how much simpler this really is?

The Ravens won a few games on the road as well. Their winning was more about being the better team than being at home or away. There is something to be said about the home-field advantage as I have previously explained. I have no doubt some teams capitalize on those advantages more than other teams. The Ravens are one of those teams, but still, their biggest advantage is being the better team most of the time.

Follow the trend of winning when you are the better team. This stat is even more amazing than a home-field advantage.

Your self-perceived superior NFL-related knowledge and intellect is nothing but hooey. The better team has the advantage. Period end of discussion.
Okay, if you say so........Anyway, thanks for the psychological analysis, apparently I have issues.....oh, and your opinions as well. Sorry if my facts offended you.

However, just one more thing.....The difference in home field victories and away victories applies to the same team in the same seasons. Good team, bad team, mediocre team....this has absolutely nothing to do with home homefield advantage. I'm comparing each team to itself under different circumstances. The Raven teams that won three quarters of their games at home is the very same teams that won less than half of their games away. I have tried to explain this as best as I can.....oh well.

And since this is the end of discussion, period, I'll assume that you won't be responding to this current post. Thank you, I am the most grateful for that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How do you measure "home field advantage"?

The answer, I believe, is in the definition. Home field advantage is the value measured by the increase in the probability of winning when the game being played at "home" versus being played "away".

Mathematically speaking, this can be measured by subtracting the winning percentage of away games from the winning percentage of home games and comparing that difference with the other teams.

Let's say a team wins 75% of their games at home and 60% of their games away. The "gap", if you will, is 15%.

I have calculated these gaps for all 32 teams over the past 10 seasons, 2011 to 2020. Here are the results:

Rank _ Tm _ diff
1 _ BAL _ 24%
2 _ GNB _ 23%
3 _ MIN _ 21%
4 _ CLE _ 21%
5 _ BUF _ 20%
6 _ IND _ 19%
7 _ NYJ _ 19%
8 _ MIA _ 19%
9 _ NWE _ 18%
10 _ PIT _ 17%
11 _ ARI _ 16%
12 _ SEA _ 16%
13 _ JAX _ 15%
14 _ CIN _ 14%
15 _ NOR _ 14%
16 _ DEN _ 13%
17 _ HOU _ 13%
18 _ PHI _ 9%
19 _ LVR _ 9%
20 _ CAR _ 8%
21 _ NYG _ 8%
22 _ TEN _ 8%
23 _ LAR _ 7%
24 _ LAC _ 6%
25 _ SFO _ 6%
26 _ DET _ 6%
27 _ WAS _ 6%
28 _ ATL _ 5%
29 _ DAL _ 5%
30 _ CHI _ 4%
31 _ KAN _ 3%
32 _ TAM _ 3%

The Baltimore Ravens have the best home field advantage over the past ten seasons. They won 73% of their home games and 49% of their away game which provided the largest gap of all NFL teams.

Note the last place team. Over the past ten seasons the Buc's winning percentage at away games and home games have been virtually identical. There is almost no influence on the team's results when you consider whee the game is located.

It's rather ironic that the first NFL team to gain a home field advantage for the Super Bowl was the NFL team less likely to be influenced by this achievement.

This also implies that any team playing in Tampa Bay against the Bucs will have the least likely chance of being effected by it.
Generally speaking crappy teams lose almost as bad at home as they do on the road. If you only win a couple games your winning percentage is bad everywhere . Lol

The better teams usually have a better winning percentage everywhere.

The colder weather teams and higher altitude usually have more of an advantage if teams are more equal. And the Cowboys elements at Texas Stadium presented an elements advantage as well.

The other hot weather teams most play in dome stadiums like Hou, Az and NO and give up some of the elements which could help them ( Dallas included now) much like Det and Minn in the north.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The team that pops out the most is Kansas City....worst than Dallas? Announcers always seemed to say how hard it is for teams to come to Arrowhead, guess its not true. And then you have the Browns and the Jets doing better than expected at home.

Yeah, Iiiiii stopped reading after I saw where they put the Chiefs. I live in KC (not for much longer), and I can tell you that's BS.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Okay, if you say so........Anyway, thanks for the psychological analysis, apparently I have issues.....oh, and your opinions as well. Sorry if my facts offended you.

However, just one more thing.....The difference in home field victories and away victories applies to the same team in the same seasons. Good team, bad team, mediocre team....this has absolutely nothing to do with home homefield advantage. I'm comparing each team to itself under different circumstances. The Raven teams that won three quarters of their games at home is the very same teams that won less than half of their games away. I have tried to explain this as best as I can.....oh well.

And since this is the end of discussion, period, I'll assume that you won't be responding to this current post. Thank you, I am the most grateful for that.
Obviously, the travel and not sleeping in their own bed adversely affects the Ravens players. The "Away-Disadvantage" is a real phenomenon. Does that explain it in a way that you have not tried yet?

JayFord

Reaction score
This team plays much better on the road and as underdogs

and look no further than thanksgiving day games for the lack of homefield advantage its almost disgusting theyve been regularly getting embarrassed on thanksgiving recently

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The answer, I believe, is in the definition. Home field advantage is the value measured by the increase in the probability of winning when the game being played at "home" versus being played "away".

Mathematically speaking, this can be measured by subtracting the winning percentage of away games from the winning percentage of home games and comparing that difference with the other teams.

Let's say a team wins 75% of their games at home and 60% of their games away. The "gap", if you will, is 15%.

I have calculated these gaps for all 32 teams over the past 10 seasons, 2011 to 2020. Here are the results:

Rank _ Tm _ diff
1 _ BAL _ 24%
2 _ GNB _ 23%
3 _ MIN _ 21%
4 _ CLE _ 21%
5 _ BUF _ 20%
6 _ IND _ 19%
7 _ NYJ _ 19%
8 _ MIA _ 19%
9 _ NWE _ 18%
10 _ PIT _ 17%
11 _ ARI _ 16%
12 _ SEA _ 16%
13 _ JAX _ 15%
14 _ CIN _ 14%
15 _ NOR _ 14%
16 _ DEN _ 13%
17 _ HOU _ 13%
18 _ PHI _ 9%
19 _ LVR _ 9%
20 _ CAR _ 8%
21 _ NYG _ 8%
22 _ TEN _ 8%
23 _ LAR _ 7%
24 _ LAC _ 6%
25 _ SFO _ 6%
26 _ DET _ 6%
27 _ WAS _ 6%
28 _ ATL _ 5%
29 _ DAL _ 5%
30 _ CHI _ 4%
31 _ KAN _ 3%
32 _ TAM _ 3%

The Baltimore Ravens have the best home field advantage over the past ten seasons. They won 73% of their home games and 49% of their away game which provided the largest gap of all NFL teams.

Note the last place team. Over the past ten seasons the Buc's winning percentage at away games and home games have been virtually identical. There is almost no influence on the team's results when you consider whee the game is located.

It's rather ironic that the first NFL team to gain a home field advantage for the Super Bowl was the NFL team less likely to be influenced by this achievement.

This also implies that any team playing in Tampa Bay against the Bucs will have the least likely chance of being effected by it.

Vegas typically values it 3 points in a betting line.

Personally, I think it's better when half the crowd aren't visiting fans making their annual road trip to visit the palace near Dallas.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Rank _ Tm _ diff
1 _ BAL _ 24%
2 _ GNB _ 23%
3 _ MIN _ 21%
4 _ CLE _ 21%
5 _ BUF _ 20%
6 _ IND _ 19%
7 _ NYJ _ 19%
8 _ MIA _ 19%
9 _ NWE _ 18%
10 _ PIT _ 17%
11 _ ARI _ 16%
12 _ SEA _ 16%
13 _ JAX _ 15%
14 _ CIN _ 14%
15 _ NOR _ 14%
16 _ DEN _ 13%
17 _ HOU _ 13%
18 _ PHI _ 9%
19 _ LVR _ 9%
20 _ CAR _ 8%
21 _ NYG _ 8%
22 _ TEN _ 8%
23 _ LAR _ 7%
24 _ LAC _ 6%
25 _ SFO _ 6%
26 _ DET _ 6%
27 _ WAS _ 6%
28 _ ATL _ 5%
29 _ DAL _ 5%
30 _ CHI _ 4%
31 _ KAN _ 3%
32 _ TAM _ 3%

We don’t have the fans. They just don’t like making noise

MikeB80

Reaction score
after 2010 or so I started measuring it by how many of the season ticket holders around me were selling their tickets for profit. Usually to visiting fans.

it became a permanent thing a year or two later for most of these people.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jerry Jones destroyed any chance of a real home field advantage. First, he created a stadium that became a tourist attracting. So if someone wants to check it out then better than doing this when your team is visiting the Cowboys?

Secondly, he screwed the average fans. His tickets strategy forces fans to purchase game packages for multiple games with very few tickets available for single games. A lot of these packages are purchased by corporations etc. Joe Fan is left out in the cold.

The folks that now attend games are not of the same intensity during games. Going to a game is actually more of an event than actually sitting there and focusing on the game itself. Many of them will forget about the outcome of the game before they reach home.