How do you solve a cat problem?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I am really ticked off with a couple of my neighbors. We live in a very nice area and nice homes. But I have a problem with a couple of cats from my neighbors. We have a great bird watching area and my wife and I love all of them that come to feed. We have everything from Cardinals to Blue Jays and mocking birds and yellow finches. The back yard is flush with these birds.

However I have seen my neighbors cats come in my yard several times and attack these birds, kill them and leave them lay on my driveway.They defecate everywhere as well. My neighbors on the other side have the same issue with these cats. I am just about ready to plug these cats next time I see them and take their bodies out in the sticks and dump them.

Before I go postal on these cats is there anything I can lay down along my property line that will detract the cats from coming on my property?

And for the record I have mentioned it to the cat owners and they don't seem that concerned.

And just to be clear, I really hat cats. All of them. They could all shrivel up and die right now and I wouldn't miss them at all.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
air_bb_gun.jpg

joseephuss

Reaction score
Plant catnip in areas of the neighborhood away from your house.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4924167 said:
Before I go postal on these cats is there anything I can lay down along my property line that will detract the cats from coming on my property?

Chinese restaurant delivery menus?

:D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Get a dog
spray them with water
check to see if there are lease laws applicable

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Check with zoning/pet laws and see if cats are allowed to run loose.

Many areas have put in place laws that cat owners are not allowed to do that.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Maybe get some smarter birds? Seriously, how oblivious are these birds in your backyard to predators?

I mean if birds are at a feeder, that seems the time they're the most vigilant, that's just part of their instinct.

Either you have the Seal Team Six equivalent of felines in your area, or the Lenny and Squiggy/s of bird-kind.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4924263 said:
Maybe get some smarter birds? Seriously, how oblivious are these birds in your backyard to predators?

I mean if birds are at a feeder, that seems the time they're the most vigilant, that's just part of their instinct.

Either you have the Seal Team Six equivalent of felines in your area, or the Lenny and Squiggy/s of bird-kind.

:lmao2:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4924263 said:

:lmao2:

Nice.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4924167 said:
I am really ticked off with a couple of my neighbors. We live in a very nice area and nice homes. But I have a problem with a couple of cats from my neighbors. We have a great bird watching area and my wife and I love all of them that come to feed. We have everything from Cardinals to Blue Jays and mocking birds and yellow finches. The back yard is flush with these birds.

However I have seen my neighbors cats come in my yard several times and attack these birds, kill them and leave them lay on my driveway.They defecate everywhere as well. My neighbors on the other side have the same issue with these cats. I am just about ready to plug these cats next time I see them and take their bodies out in the sticks and dump them.

And for the record I have mentioned it to the cat owners and they don't seem that concerned.

And just to be clear, I really hat cats. All of them. They could all shrivel up and die right now and I wouldn't miss them at all.

I've been told Sulphur (sp?) will keep them away.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
There are several products you can try that are safe for the cats as well as any other animals or kids in your area:

- http://www.safepetproducts.com/cat-...gclid=CIawia3EvrQCFUQw4AodNC8AOQ#.UN5Q4qwePmI

- http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/spray-away

- Scatter fresh orange and lemon peels or spray with citrus-scented fragrances. Coffee grounds, vinegar, pipe tobacco, or oil of lavender, lemongrass, citronella, or eucalyptus also deter cats.

- Plant some dense bushes around the feeders so the cats would have difficulty getting through, but the birds can still go to the feeder.

I'll also add that most house cats are only likely to catch the old and the infirm birds. Most birds that are young and healthy will be well aware of the cats presence and will take the appropriate action to avoid them. The only reason you are seeing them is because they are being helped to their demise near your driveway instead of keeling over in the trees.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
If those options don't work, you may want to consider speaking with the neighbor about having an enclosure for the cats built. This way kitties can go outside without causing issues for neighbors.

Many enclosures can be accessed by an unused window or doggy door setup and they can be very nice, depending on how much room you have.

Here's a site with examples of enclosures, from small to large and elaborate:

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm