How do you solve a cat problem?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Faerluna;4926142 said:
I wish I could report you to any appropriate authority. Make no mistake that I would in a heartbeat.

What if the animal someone wanted to kill was your dog? Would that matter to you or any of the others so eager to kill cats?

On another note, I'm saddened that activity like this is openly discussed on this board. Not only illegal, but morally reprehensible.

What's next? We talk about how child abuse isn't a crime unless you get caught, since the kids deserved it? Or maybe rape?

So you are equating getting rid of a nuisance cat with Child abuse or rape.

This is the problem with this country. People who have screwed up thinking like you.

Believe it or not... People>than animals.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4926162 said:
:laugh2:

You think that refers to animals?

:rolleyes:

Ah, so schtick then. Gotcha. I didn't realize there was some special reading of that commandment that said "people, but cats are a-ok" at the end of it.

Most people (those that reside in the real world) would surely agree that killing other people's pets is not ok.

There's also no exception in any law anywhere that says things are only illegal if you don't get caught. That kind of thinking is what is wrong, not my position that domestic animals have a right to life.

jnday

Reaction score
Faerluna;4926142 said:
I wish I could report you to any appropriate authority. Make no mistake that I would in a heartbeat.

What if the animal someone wanted to kill was your dog? Would that matter to you or any of the others so eager to kill cats?

On another note, I'm saddened that activity like this is openly discussed on this board. Not only illegal, but morally reprehensible.

What's next? We talk about how child abuse isn't a crime unless you get caught, since the kids deserved it? Or maybe rape?

First, you are crossing the line when you compare child abuse or rape to anything having to do with an animal. A cat isn't a human and shouldn't be treated like one.

Second, by what moral authority does an animal rights person have to judge me? Animal shelters kill more in one day than I could kill in my entire life. I am not eager to kill anything, but I am not going to waste time or money to get an animal to a shelter for them to kill it. If somebody is going to have a cat or dog, they should take the time to make sure it doesn't cause trouble for other people.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
BringBackThatOleTimeBoys;4925926 said:
Somehow this thread has become very long without addressing Cajuncowboy's neighbors biggest crime: I'll bet some of these cats are NOT fixed! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It almost impossible for Cajun to address his neighbour's stupidity. Society doesn't give him alot of options. What I have tried to suggest is other ways of dealing with this cat without him having to deal with putting an animal down. What the neighbour is doing is not fair to him or the others. (Ex. Scratches ont he hood of his other neighbour's car.)

Millions of homeless dogs and cats are put down in the US because a few people like the neighbors in this thread let their four-leggeds roam unneutered. It costs millions if not billions to taxpayers for pounds all over the country to round up and put down. Every Saturday at pet stores like Petco and PetMart, they invite dog and cat rescues to adopt there because of such neighbors that let their pets breed in the streets.....spend untold hours pulling critters out of the pound, paying vet bills, getting them to chill so a decent adopter can pay $75-150 to bring a loving pet home (that's just to cover expenses)

Society has a lot of problems. Many of them are overwhelming like the pet problem. Putting down this cat isn't going to solve the underlying reason why some members of our society don't take responsibility for their pets.

Homeless pets also invites cruelity since they are often a nuisance.

True, but one has to make a decision on whether you will contribute to cruelty or not.

So many problems are because a few being irresponsible. People driving distracted or drunk. Parents that impulse buy a cute kitty or puppy, then let it roam the streets a few months later after junior is bored.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case here also.

In a few hours, I most likely be in a setting like Cajuncowboy will be, someone may speak we are more important than a sparrow, yet God values a sparrow. Or roaming pets.

Unfortunately we live in a society where dogs and cats are valued as human companions. We also live in a society where purposeless killing is frowned upon.

As a youngster I travelled back to China with my parents and ate a meal of dog once. I found that difficult to swallow...literally.

I was also raised in a farm setting and once I had to deal with a litter of feral kittens. I can tell you it still bothers me to this day having to deal with them because we didn't have a barn to keep the animals.

All living beings know when they are going to die if confronted with it.

My family also hunts. Two years ago my second son and I were out and he took down a cow Moose. Not even a few minutes later the two calves came out of the bush looking for Mom. It really imprinted on my son. I took the opportunity to talk to him about the necessity for us to thank God for the blessing of another animals life so we could enjoy a meal of meat.

We didn't need the animal. I could have gone to my local grocery store just as easily and possibly cheaper given the cost of the tags, the quads, the guns, etc.

We are all faced with choices. We use our morality to guide in making the best choices for ourselves. We talk to others in society to elicit opinions, assistance and just share information to check and sometimes recalibrate our moral compass.

Cajun is capable of doing whatever he wants. it's just a matter of him deciding how he will accomplish it. My contribution is to offer suggestions as he first asked in the OP.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Not taking sides but...

If you'd happen to change the coolant in your car and forget to clean up the huge puddle you spilled, your problem would be solved with plausible deniability.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score

...the reason why you may be feeling that an opinion of this sort is present is because in our society cats and dogs are ingrained as companions to humans.

So much so that the border between pets and people are blurred. You can tell by the consumerism in pet stores and how coddled many pets are.

In our house we have (4) cats, a dog, a rabbit and a hamster. At times we have had up to (7) and (3) dogs.

I have had to really get on my horse to find homes for the other animals. They all ended up going to friends of ours.

My personal experience has probably changed my way of thinking when I see a cat or dog on the street. It makes me wish for a good home to every stray, abused or ignored pet out there.

I wish you could find another owner for this cat. Someone who really cares for the animal and would keep it inside and only let it out on a leash in their yard.

This is what we do for our (4) cats by the way. We take them out into our fenced backyard and leash all (4) of them to different objects. They get the outdoors, but they don't get to roam. They are healthy happy animals.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4926229 said:
Not taking sides but...

If you'd happen to change the coolant in your car and forget to clean up the huge puddle you spilled, your problem would be solved with plausible deniability.

...if any unintended animal got to it also. Also it's turns into a sticky mess as it begins to dry. Stepping into is not desired.

jnday

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4926169 said:
So you are equating getting rid of a nuisance cat with Child abuse or rape.

This is the problem with this country. People who have screwed up thinking like you.

Believe it or not... People>than animals.

If the money, time and effort was put into preventing chid abuse and rape that goes into these animal causes, the world would be a much better place.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
davidyee;4926240 said:
...if any unintended animal got to it also. Also it's turns into a sticky mess as it begins to dry. Stepping into is not desired.

If any other animal got into it in his driveway I'm not sure they would be "unintended".

Hose it off the following morning as it doesn't get tacky for a few days (or so I've been told ;) )

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
jnday;4926245 said:
If the money, time and effort was put into preventing chid abuse and rape that goes into these animal causes, the world would be a much better place.

...people being able to express their humanity through kindness to animals is a good thing.

peopel who are into terrible crimes such as abuse, rape and torture and killing of humans often exhibit this behavior towards animals first as young people or adults.

It is a known trait that many serial killers were abusers of animals and learned to turn off their empathy towards humans by first developing it towards animals.

I'm not equating anyone here on the forum as one of these monsters. Don't get me wrong. But I am saying that kindness to animals is a good thing in society.

We can't right all the wrongs in society in a simple statement, but we can foster good things about our world and not consider it a terrible hardship or nuisance.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4926259 said:
If any other animal got into it in his driveway I'm not sure they would be "unintended".

Hose it off the following morning as it doesn't get tacky for a few days (or so I've been told ;) )

...say to us whether he has a family pet - dog or otherwise?

If there is coolant on the ground from my personal experience on the farm dogs love the surgary taste of coolant.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
davidyee;4926260 said:
...people being able to express their humanity through kindness to animals is a good thing.

peopel who are into terrible crimes such as abuse, rape and torture and killing of humans often exhibit this behavior towards animals first as young people or adults.

It is a known trait that many serial killers were abusers of animals and learned to turn off their empathy towards humans by first developing it towards animals.

I'm not equating anyone here on the forum as one of these monsters. Don't get me wrong. But I am saying that kindness to animals is a good thing in society.

We can't right all the wrongs in society in a simple statement, but we can foster good things about our world and not consider it a terrible hardship or nuisance.

Well said.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Faerluna;4926195 said:
Ah, so schtick then. Gotcha. I didn't realize there was some special reading of that commandment that said "people, but cats are a-ok" at the end of it.

Most people (those that reside in the real world) would surely agree that killing other people's pets is not ok.

There's also no exception in any law anywhere that says things are only illegal if you don't get caught. That kind of thinking is what is wrong, not my position that domestic animals have a right to life.

You surely have no idea of the Bible. It wasn't written to cats or dogs or animals. But since religion is forbidden here I will refrain from giving you the education you so obviously need.

And since the link you provided where you said it was illegal to do so had the clause that I posted which you ignored shows you simply have a warped agenda.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
jnday;4926245 said:

Amen.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jnday;4926088 said:
Don't let them shame you Cajun. Do what you have to do. Some of these solutions will cost too much in time or money and they still might solve the problem. As a general rule, pet owners should keep their animals at home if they want them. This owner does not care. I have a stray cat at my house now that I am going to take care of and I won't feel guilty in the least.

The point is, precisely, that he doesn't *have* to. He's considering escalating a situation by doing something that's going to make the situation worse. There are better solutions, and they're better not just because they don't involve killing the cat. They're better because they result in better outcomes, across the board.

"Though shalt not kill" doesn't apply to animals. "Do unto others" probably applies to killing somebody else's pet, though. At least, I can't imagine any interpretation where it wouldn't.

Your decisions are your own, Cajun. I'm done in this thread, but I hope it turns out that you really were looking for a solution to an actual problem rather than simply looking for a justification for killing your neighbor's pet. Good luck with it.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
davidyee;4926260 said:

First of all let me be clear, I like dogs. However I don't own one. I do not own a cat nor would I ever because they are just dirty and most homes that have them are not as clean as one I would live in. That is not a judgement on cat owners, just my experience.

That said I am against animal cruelty which is why I asked in the OP about other solutions.

However, I do not put people on the same level as animals like some on here seem to do. They have a twisted sense of what is right and wrong. (The whole Bible quote from Fraulena might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, I suspect she is a vegan). Anyway, there is no way I am going to go out and try to find the cat and kill it. But if it continues to come on my property after the chemical boundary is tried and after telling the neighbor that this would be the outcome, then so be it.

Cats are not people. They don't deserve to be abused but they don't have any right to be on my property digging in the garden, crapping in the driveway and killing birds and leaving them lay all around the property. Also, there is no such thing as animal rights. It's complete BS.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Idgit;4926290 said:
The point is, precisely, that he doesn't *have* to. He's considering escalating a situation by doing something that's going to make the situation worse. There are better solutions, and they're better not just because they don't involve killing the cat. They're better because they result in better outcomes, across the board.

"Though shalt not kill" doesn't apply to animals. "Do unto others" probably applies to killing somebody else's pet, though. At least, I can't imagine any interpretation where it wouldn't.

Your decisions are your own, Cajun. I'm done in this thread, but I hope it turns out that you really were looking for a solution to an actual problem rather than simply looking for a justification for killing your neighbor's pet. Good luck with it.

Actually the whole quote is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Lets keep it in context. And since I would want them to come to me first, as I had done and in a civil manner as I have done, I have done as I would have him do to me in that situation. The difference is in how I would handle it vs. the way he handled it.