How do you teach turnovers?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Early in his career Lee was pretty good at picking balls off but other than him I don’t really remember anyone doing much. I think a big problem is they don’t draft a lot of guys with ball skills. A lot of people wanted Thornhill who was a ball hawk in college Cowboys decided on a DT who was trouble in college.

cern

Reaction score
Clearly that’s been the #1 problem on defense for nearly 15 years it seems. Many different DCs/head coaches and players have come through and put up good sack numbers and points/yards per game but never the INTs.

How do other teams like the Patriots do it? Is it more on the scheme or players
Scheme. Picks, in particular, are a result of putting pressure on the qb. We don't do that very well.

kskboys

Reaction score
Early in his career Lee was pretty good at picking balls off but other than him I don’t really remember anyone doing much. I think a big problem is they don’t draft a lot of guys with ball skills. A lot of people wanted Thornhill who was a ball hawk in college Cowboys decided on a DT who was trouble in college.
Worse than that. He was small college project player who appears to only have one good trait, burst off the blocks. Don't get me wrong, that first step of his is phenomenal and may at some point translate into production, but that's an awfully huge chance to take on a project in the 2nd round. Especially w/ a dire need at S and some nice S prospects still on the board.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Clearly that’s been the #1 problem on defense for nearly 15 years it seems. Many different DCs/head coaches and players have come through and put up good sack numbers and points/yards per game but never the INTs.

That’s what we need! Belicheck!!!

Dre11

Reaction score
Techniques can be taught
lol.... once in the NFL you know techniques You Know cover two techniques cover one you know robber techniques you know how to play in phase and out of phase. It's about the player having ball skills. Is he in position to make a play on the ball or is he always trailing

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Scheme. Picks, in particular, are a result of putting pressure on the qb. We don't do that very well.
The tragic part is that is how our Marinelli D is built. RUSH MEN!

Dre11

Reaction score

lol...when the qb can release the ball before you get to your 3rd step how in the hell can you get pressure. at some point your DBs and LBs have to help the DL get home in that case.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
lol.... once in the NFL you know techniques You Know cover two techniques cover one you know robber techniques you know how to play in phase and out of phase. It's about the player having ball skills. Is he in position to make a play on the ball or is he always trailing
I was referring to stripping the ball and ect

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Hard to be aggressive when you play a BBDB scheme.

Marinelli was a terrible DC. He always played it safe.

hopefully KRichard gets the DC job.

JayFord

Reaction score
You practice it

11 men to the ball 6 try to make the tackle five to to rip the ball out

interceptiona you just need to turn your head and gamble when the ball is in the air or you bait the qb into throwing into a hole thats really not there

and finally pressuring the QB is worth more than sacks

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Worse than that. He was small college project player who appears to only have one good trait, burst off the blocks. Don't get me wrong, that first step of his is phenomenal and may at some point translate into production, but that's an awfully huge chance to take on a project in the 2nd round. Especially w/ a dire need at S and some nice S prospects still on the board.

That was my thought on last year’s draft. I hate to knock a pick right after it is made cause I like to follow the 3 year rule but I admit I scratched my head and it is getting harder to see positive in the pick.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Hard to be aggressive when you play a BBDB scheme.

Marinelli was a terrible DC. He always played it safe.

hopefully KRichard gets the DC job.
Richard doesn’t even want DBs to look for the ball. He teaches them to just hit the receivers hands. Can’t wait til he has another job that isn’t here

Chuck 54

Reaction score

It’s not about teaching turnovers or techniques. Every team works on causing fumbles. The secret, and why we stink at it, is because you need to put your playmakers in position to make plays...that requires scheme, creative stunts and blitzes, and calls at the right time because you have a feel for the game and the OC from study and experience.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was my thought on last year’s draft. I hate to knock a pick right after it is made cause I like to follow the 3 year rule but I admit I scratched my head and it is getting harder to see positive in the pick.
I still don't know how you take Hill over Khalen Saunders(KC, 3rd)