Video: How does any coach overcome or fix this?

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Jimmy's assessment is correct. Cowboys players are treated like rock stars even without winning anything.

All the more reason why they need a hard-nosed coach to keep them in check, not one who coddles them. The owner/GM/President will do enough coddling on his own.

But, wait. I thought the players weren't at fault? Is this another thing I was wrong about? The players act like rock stars, and the coaches treat them like so. Jimmy Johnson himself is confirming this. No doubt, coaching would fix these attitudes, but these are grown men. They need to act more mature than this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stabbing each other with scissors, cocaine, a slush house, And drunk driving, that was a successful culture for Jimmy. Just saying, maybe Dallas needs more bad character guys.

I think Bill won a Super Bowl with Lawrence Taylor with the same type of culture.

Maybe the Cowboys need the party house, scissors, illegal substances and total Mayham to be successful.
That atmosphere wouldn't make it today. That was before the multitude of media and pseudo media sources, and before everyone had a personal video recorder with them at all times. All of that would be very public now.

Zordon

Reaction score
When the Bills game was over, I decided to take a shortcut out the stadium through the Pro Shop assuming it would be clear after that abysmal performance. Boy was I wrong. The lemmings in our fanbase were packed in there gobbling up everything in sight. I'm starting to wonder if a big part of the cultural problems with this franchise is the "hero worship" that is pertinent in the fanbase. It seems like no matter what trash product they put on the field there will always be 200 VIPs waiting for Dak after practice for "special access" to him, a line of fans forming around Jerry for a selfie, and a large and powerful business network in the metroplex full of jock sniffers that are willing and waiting to become business partners with Cowboys players.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I missed where Jimmy said the right coach couldn't possibly help part of that entitled attitude.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
When the Bills game was over, I decided to take a shortcut out the stadium through the Pro Shop assuming it would be clear after that abysmal performance. Boy was I wrong. The lemmings in our fanbase were packed in there gobbling up everything in sight. I'm starting to wonder if a big part of the cultural problems with this franchise is the "hero worship" that is pertinent in the fanbase. It seems like no matter what trash product they put on the field there will always be 200 VIPs waiting for Dak after practice for "special access" to him, a line of fans forming around Jerry for a selfie, and a large and powerful business network in the metroplex full of jock sniffers that are willing and waiting to become partners with Cowboys players.

Country Club Culture

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the Bills game was over, I decided to take a shortcut out the stadium through the Pro Shop assuming it would be clear after that abysmal performance. Boy was I wrong. The lemmings in our fanbase were packed in there gobbling up everything in sight. I'm starting to wonder if a big part of the cultural problems with this franchise is the "hero worship" that is pertinent in the fanbase. It seems like no matter what trash product they put on the field there will always be 200 VIPs waiting for Dak after practice for "special access" to him, a line of fans forming around Jerry for a selfie, and a large and powerful business network in the metroplex full of jock sniffers that are willing and waiting to become partners with Cowboys players.
The nail is firmly hit on the head and driven in.

I have found that Cowboys fans, excluding here, I am talking about the real world, are the least knowledgeable football fans I have ever encountered. The fandom is the most likely to have fans that only watch the Cowboys and are not really NFL fans.

Booger knows his fanbase, they're star seekers and predominantly on the O side, follow the ball. You put a team like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 03 Bucs in Dallas and they're not nearly as happy, they want the Triplets. More than any team in the league, the Cowboys are all about the entertainment aspect of the game and PT Booger knows that better than anyone. He doesn't want some 330lb DT clogging up the middle, that ain't sexy.

Prescott upped his salary by doing all of those commercials as much as anything on the field. He's a commodity to Booger.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He hired as tough a HC as he could have hired in Parcells, he even wanted them to earn their numbers. He quickly realized the problem and had that showdown with Emmitt over dominoes. Not a lot of HC's are going to release a star like that but he did. Imagine the surprise among the players. The new sheriff is a badass.

The Owens situation was the most revealing of the entire Jones ownership situation. Parcells didn't want him but got him anyway and tried to get in front of the star thing quickly and Jones intervenes and starts taking Owens to breakfast to soothe his hurt feelings over being "the player". Parcells knew Owens needed to grow up inside to fit that body but Jones kept him a little boy and sure enough when the time was right, the little boy showed up again.

What the hell is that Star? A reward for accomplishing nothing. But that's the MO, the same with his family, everybody gets a job, we'll learn how to do them later. Why wait for rewards? Let's get them now and we'll worry about earning them later.
We dont know who was right with the Parcells TO situation actually

LittleD

Reaction score
Urban " would show discipline " , yet he's caught up and involved in his own scandals ? yeh right . :facepalm:

No he wouldn't because Jerry would step in and take the players side on every issue.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Another HC may not ever be able to overcome the Jones’ effect but it is obvious that Garrett and his mantra is not the answer.

Give a new head coach a try, if he fails after a few years, go find a new one but this process needs to be ended. At least with a different head coach, he shouldn’t be tied to the hip like Jason and be very difficult to remove.

We need Garrett and his philosophy out of the organization for good to stand a chance.......

Zordon

Reaction score
Country Club Culture
Yup.
Booger knows his fanbase, they're star seekers and predominantly on the O side, follow the ball. You put a team like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 03 Bucs in Dallas and they're not nearly as happy, they want the Triplets. More than any team in the league, the Cowboys are all about the entertainment aspect of the game and PT Booger knows that better than anyone. He doesn't want some 330lb DT clogging up the middle, that ain't sexy.
The nail is firmly hit on the head and driven in one why, despite multiple coordinators, multiple schemes, multiple coverages, and multiple personnel, we cannot for the life of us build a formidable defense. It's simply not a priority for this franchise and a lot of that is driven by dollars and sense. Jerry knows this is a white-collar town, with a lot of shallow feeble-minded people that are willing to part ways with their money as long as the Cowboys provide them one thing and one thing only - entertainment. Winning is secondary. With a high-powered offense, you can at the very least sell entertainment to the lemmings. Jerry knows that's where the money is and that's why we are an offensive-centric organization and the defense is an afterthought.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That ship has sailed, he's done. Any man as compettive as he is can walk away from a 62-7 loss as his swan song, he's done inside.
For me, I do not even consider Johnson's level of desire at the end with the Jaguars. Some people want fairy tale endings but there is little-to-zero reason why someone, who left a bad working relationship at 50 years old, would want to re-establish themselves with the exact same person at 76 years old. Seemingly, some people never embrace the poetic words of Sergeant "I'm too old for this <expletive>" Murtaugh.

How old must someone get before some people finally say to themselves enough is enough? Romo is 39 years old. How old must he be before some people stop wanting him to return as a quarterback or coach in Dallas? 76???

/rant

ondaedg

Reaction score
Spot on. Would love to have Jimmy back in Dallas. <sigh>

He has been out of coaching for too long. New offensive and defensive philosophies rule the roost now. Great coach when he was on the sideline.

yimyammer

Reaction score
fanbase, they're star seekers and predominantly on the O side, follow the ball. You put a team like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 03 Bucs in Dallas and they're not nearly as happy, they want the Triplets. More than any team in the league, the Cowboys are all about the entertainment aspect of the game and PT Booger knows that better than anyone. He doesn't want some 330lb DT clogging up the middle, that ain't sexy.

I bed to differ (not argue) but I believe fans want to win and winning creates stars of all shapes, sizes and personalities and gives everyone joy

For example, Refrigerator Perry was a huge DT that clogged up the middle and ran for TDs and people loved him

Kenny Gant became a star win the Cowboys were winning, otherwise everyone would think he was just an idiot running around acting like a shark and if he'd just focus on football, they'd probably win something

Winning is the tide that lifts all boats, makes the most $$ & it should always be the number 1 priority

And for any of you young-ins who don't know who Kenny Gant is, check this out:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He hired as tough a HC as he could have hired in Parcells, he even wanted them to earn their numbers. He quickly realized the problem and had that showdown with Emmitt over dominoes. Not a lot of HC's are going to release a star like that but he did. Imagine the surprise among the players. The new sheriff is a badass.

The Owens situation was the most revealing of the entire Jones ownership situation. Parcells didn't want him but got him anyway and tried to get in front of the star thing quickly and Jones intervenes and starts taking Owens to breakfast to soothe his hurt feelings over being "the player". Parcells knew Owens needed to grow up inside to fit that body but Jones kept him a little boy and sure enough when the time was right, the little boy showed up again.

What the hell is that Star? A reward for accomplishing nothing. But that's the MO, the same with his family, everybody gets a job, we'll learn how to do them later. Why wait for rewards? Let's get them now and we'll worry about earning them later.
Your post exemplifies the old adage, "you get the sort of behavior you reinforce." Any half decent parent knows this and it is why parents should support each other's decisions.

You can't play "good cop, bad cop" with kids and you can't do it with a professional sports team. What good does it do to have a hard-nosed, no nonsense coach, when the Owner/GM is behaving like Santa Claus handing out candy at a mall photo shot.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Barry Switzer handled it. Came in, didn’t do much and kinda coached and won a super bowl

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The answer is by changing the culture and the HC is not responsible for that with the Cowboys. That was the first thing Parcells addressed when he took over, he knew that had to change before anything else changes.
And ultimately the meddling by Jerry was too much.

As it will be for anyone. And why we are basically in a hopeless situation not everyone is willing to accept.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Barry Switzer handled it. Came in, didn’t do much and kinda coached and won a super bowl
And gave away one championship. Maybe another .

But Switzer did prove that if we have the best talent and team we have a better shot with Jerry’s ways despite the dysfunction.