How does Frederick retiring affect the salary cap?

ksg811

Reaction score
You don't know that without reading both contracts, the contracts need to be seen to determine that because contracts are usually backloaded in Dallas with money , we need to know years of both contracts, intended money vs. non intended money, and such things. I seriously doubt there isn't money from his two signing bonuses still left on that contract , especially of there's dead money. The presence of dead money, almost guarantee, there's money owed back to the team.

Only $650k of the dead money is original signing bonus money. The rest of it is from the team restructuring and converting his guaranteed base salaries into signing bonuses to defer the cap hits. There is no cash difference for the player, just cap benefits for the team.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So explain it rather than chastising about it
Looks to me we lose 11 mil in cap space but can spread over two years if it’s not official till June 1, less the 600k
How do you see it

The accelerated bonus comes to around 11 mill. That's just about his 2020 cap hit if he played. The net impact on our cap is negligible. People look at the dead but miss what we aren't getting charged if he stayed.

lockster

Reaction score
Only $650k of the dead money is original signing bonus money. The rest of it is from the team restructuring and converting his guaranteed base salaries into signing bonuses to defer the cap hits. There is no cash difference for the player, just cap benefits for the team.
He has had two signing bonuses off both contracts, when a contract gets done earlier than stated, there's going to be bonus money written in from salary from the first contract, but how much, you can't determine without seeing the numbers.

lockster

Reaction score
That's four million by my account at least unless, his contract was up this year just from his second contract.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I

F

If you don't like hearing others complain, then why are you complaining about them complaining? This is another self refuting statement ! You are guilty of the very thing you are accusing another person of. If you don't like it, then ignore it, it's that easy! the conversation obviously isn't owned by you, and you don't improve it by Ur own standards of what you think the conversation should be. Jsmh.

You are right.

I think the conversation should be intelligent and informed.

I ask too much of this once great board.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I'd take him to court and sue him for every dime I could get! He has done us like Ratliff did!!!!!! Stolen millions from our cap !! And team!!!!!! Now he can go hang out with Ratliff and the two of them can laugh about how much they stole from Jerry, Crawford belongs there too, as well as a few others.
Chill dude, he had to retire and u would know that if u knew anything about the disease he is fighting.

lockster

Reaction score
Chill dude, he had to retire and u would know that if u knew anything about the disease he is fighting.
You have no power over my right to free speech, so you can just go chill urself. If you don't like what I say, then mind Ur own business. :).

ksg811

Reaction score
He has had two signing bonuses off both contracts, when a contract gets done earlier than stated, there's going to be bonus money written in from salary from the first contract, but how much, you can't determine without seeing the numbers.

We know the numbers. His rookie contract signing bonus signed in 2013 would’ve been prorated for 4 years through 2016. He signed a 6 year extension in 2016 on top of his last 2 years of his rookie deal for a total 8 year deal. This signing bonus would be prorate for 5 years beginning in 2016 through 2020.

There are no unknown numbers here. This was the last year of bonus proration from his extension. The remaining restructure proration were cap deferrals from the team restructuring his guaranteed base salaries in 2017 and 2018.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
Again you don't know this without seeing the contract. And Fred is no longer sick! If he retired last year, I'd say, I understand why he retired. Dallas was good to him by paying him for a whole year for a NON FOOTBALL INJURY. So, if there's dead money, he's almost certainly got money owed back to the team. This is a game with a cap! A gift to Fred is a chip off the cap. This isn't about being good or bad by a team, but about managing the cap the best way possible. That's what winning teams like new England do. If you don't care about winning, then yes , just don't worry about how much anyone gets paid. Let's just up Crawford's 8 a year to 16 mill a year. After all, he's a nice guy, at least the cowboys think so. :)

I slightly disagree with the "not sick" portion of this. Once he had GBS he has an autoimmune disease for life. I know this because my daughter has a different autoimmune disease. Those that have this issue are extremely at risk in our current environment. Maybe he felt that he could not risk contracting COVID-19, maybe he felt he could not get himself into football shape for whenever football returns, or maybe he is having a slight relapse and decided that he could not go through the rehab process again. All i know is what I saw the last two years, a man who gave everything (rehab wise) to get back onto the field. A man that has been an enormous boon to our community and a class act on and off the field.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Bogus how the contracts work that way when a player retires.

Nonetheless..we have 23 million now and aren’t penny pinching so I doubt it would change much.
That's one way to look at it...the other is now there's another HUGE hole to fill with the same money as before.!!!!!

Adreme

Reaction score
Again you don't know this without seeing the contract. And Fred is no longer sick! If he retired last year, I'd say, I understand why he retired. Dallas was good to him by paying him for a whole year for a NON FOOTBALL INJURY. So, if there's dead money, he's almost certainly got money owed back to the team. This is a game with a cap! A gift to Fred is a chip off the cap. This isn't about being good or bad by a team, but about managing the cap the best way possible. That's what winning teams like new England do. If you don't care about winning, then yes , just don't worry about how much anyone gets paid. Let's just up Crawford's 8 a year to 16 mill a year. After all, he's a nice guy, at least the cowboys think so. :)

Except he is still sick. The fact that he is still sick is NOT in doubt. He is 100% still sick.

Also fun fact every team that has tried to copy the NE way has failed because people will only take less if you are already established yourself as a winner. People will not work the hardships that BB puts a team through if you do have the pedigree to prove it works (also a LOT of lets just say pushing the rules to their limits helps). Also a lot of winning teams still manage to win while treating their players like human beings. Also NE is more notorious for not paying people more than what they think they are worth or for shipping someone out when they think they are done; they are not really known for being the Lions (who btw have not won in 50 years so).

It is easier to view as nothing more than cogs instead of as humans. If they cant walk after they retire, if they die early in pursuit of the goal its just good business. That sort of short-term thinking can help for a season or two, but in the long run the organizations that run that way pay a premium for players because otherwise no free agent will associate with them whereas the good organizations that people have nothing but great things to say get discounts on players and win in the end. So from a quick Google search they probably could publicly go after around 4ish million for cap space but in the long run it would not pay off for them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At least I am a fan of the team, you are just a fan of nastiness and greed.
You call yourself a fan? And nastiness and greed is exactly what your comment looked like. I’m not saying you have to have compassion but damn at least show some form of humanity.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'd take him to court and sue him for every dime I could get! He has done us like Ratliff did!!!!!! Stolen millions from our cap !! And team!!!!!! Now he can go hang out with Ratliff and the two of them can laugh about how much they stole from Jerry, Crawford belongs there too, as well as a few others.
Close your mouth.

Sandyf

Reaction score
You have no power over my right to free speech, so you can just go chill urself. If you don't like what I say, then mind Ur own business. :).
According to u he needs to live up to his contract then owners need hold to what they sign a guy to and not cut him because they don't want to pay him anymore. Works both ways.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Correct. The team has no say over retirement designation but they can cut him and designate him post 6/1, making his retirement date moot for cap purposes.
While true, cutting him removes the ability to go after the signing bonus money and the cap relief that goes with it.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
How does this effect our cap, hate to see such a great young class guy like Fredericks leave us, but now that he is where do we stand with cap dollars? does it free up any money to sign more help?

they make him a post June 1 cut and we split some space for this year and next!