How does McCarthy make the Cowboys better?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Getting your team to post season and having them playing their best football at that stretch is what makes a champion. All catch the phrases are out the window at that point.

The Cowboys stunk it up on offense when you look at their one score losses. If I recall, they were not very good overall in redzone efficiency. With a top 10 D and a top 10 O, they should have won the weakest division in the league.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would genuinely have preferred Urban Meyer. He proved to be a championship coach at multiple stops. I just don't believe in McCarthy. He had both Favre and Rodgers, and made 1 SB in 13 seasons, and that season, he backed into the playoffs as the 6th seed, and got lucky.

My biggest objection to getting rid of Garrett is I just didn't believe Jerry was going to hire someone better. I don't think McCarthy is better than Garrett. Meyer is better. And at least his teams knew how to play defense.

I didn't like Lincoln Riley or Matt Rhule for the same reason - their teams in the Big 12 don't play defense. Guys, I'm just not seeing how McCarthy is an improvement. Yeah, he doesn't clap...but surely everyone realizes that is a petty reason to hate Garrett.

In the end, I was tired of Garrett in Dallas, too. But I think my concerns about Jerry doing the same ol' thing have proven to come true. Yes, McCarthy is the shiny new Christmas present, so some think that this year's beany baby is better than last year's Cabbage Patch Doll. I think both of them, Garrett and McCarthy, are a couple of Pet Rocks.

Honestly, Marvin Lewis would have been a better choice than McCarthy. At least Lewis knows defense. And I don't even like Marvin Lewis.
I had high hopes of getting Lewis as a DC. I'm not sold on Nolan, not even a little bit.

75boyz

Reaction score
Sheesh Its not about being offensive or defensive minded at this point . We have good talent on both sides . Its about making them play with effort and be accountable . Its about not being out coached when it matters in game adjustments .
Fixing ST and recognizing its time to change kickers before it costs you the season . If we had Mac coaching this team this year we make the playoffs and win at least 10 games .

This team needs discipline and Garretts Mr Rogers approach wasnt gettin it . Now its time for a Patton type approach effort or fear the consequences

I agree with every last word you posted here but fear the owner/GM has fooled the fans again if you think your last sentence will be the true culture.

Something about the whole retaining Moore as the play caller rubs me the wrong way.

It is obviously a wait and see situation at this point but my gut says this could very well be Moore as Garrett and McCarthy as Wade all over again.

Hope I'm wrong.

DFWJC

Reaction score
McCarthy needed to step away for a year and get refocused and energized.
Green Bay probably did the right thing for both him and them.

I realize that there's a big age difference (among other things), but at the college level, it's a little bit like what happened with Mack Brown at Texas. He lost the joy in what he was doing and things grew stale. Now he's reenergized and loving coaching again with fresh outlook.

visionary

Reaction score
I said it’d be a terrible hire before we hired him. I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it.

He’s not known as a great game manager. He’s an offensive coach whose defenses are usually garbage.

He wasn’t smart enough to make Aaron Jones the lead back and he went 11-16-1 in his last 2 years with Green Bay (a team that just won 13 games and reached the NFC title game with a rookie coach).

I really, really hope I’m wrong about this guy.

from the guy who was one if the biggest Garrett supporters despite 10 years of proven mediocrity, I will take this as a ringing endorsement of MM

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I said it’d be a terrible hire before we hired him. I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it.

He’s not known as a great game manager. He’s an offensive coach whose defenses are usually garbage.

He wasn’t smart enough to make Aaron Jones the lead back and he went 11-16-1 in his last 2 years with Green Bay (a team that just won 13 games and reached the NFC title game with a rookie coach).

I really, really hope I’m wrong about this guy.

Dallas did what they always do with their coaches and went the conservative safe route.

Their 3 Championships came with guys they pulled from the College ranks that were flashy hires.

Dallas needed to make a big flashy move and instead that went the retread route.

Hopefully McCarthy pulls an Andy Reid but the more he talks the more I see a stubborn game day coach that doesn't think their playcalling is / was a problem.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
well he doesnt clap, so for some, that makes him better. He has a SB win, so he is obviously a fantastic coach. Funny that his fans will use that argument, but if you use that same criteria on, oh I dont know, Barry Switzer... they say BUT, BUT BUT....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So, I'm wondering if Mike McCarthy is Fool's Gold for Cowboys fans. How is he not EXACTLY what the Cowboys just got rid of?
How is McCarthy not Jason Garrett? Are you serious?

And McCarthy isn't here just for one side of the ball. The head coach isn't just an OC.

Looking back at it, his first four years in GB his defenses in points allowed finished #6, #22, #7, #2. Does he get credit for that?

Nav22

Reaction score
from the guy who was one if the biggest Garrett supporters despite 10 years of proven mediocrity, I will take this as a ringing endorsement of MM
LOL you don’t know what you’re talking about. I was one of Garrett’s biggest supporters???
:laugh:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
at this point i wouldnt care if he ate a whole pizza on the sidelines.

he is putting together a new staff, hopefully installing new philopshies and ideas. Listen to his players and plays the hot hand. I also hope he attacks weaknesses and doesnt stand there and say "Gee Wally, the other team needs to win too"

Install a winning culture, get things streamlined, evaluate and make changes.

I also hope Cowboy Nation gets behind him so if he is looking at 4th and 1, GO FOR IT BABY, we back you.

75boyz

Reaction score
as dumb as we often seem the FO is, this has probably been thought out for some times

MM may have been hired to implement a defense, and I think MM has know he has to deliver a defense in his next gig and went to school, wouldn't you?

Nolan is likely not an after thought - the biggest issue here is how fast can Nolan field a serious D, or rather how fast can MM?

but here's the rub, you still have this FO doing the talent accumulation, which could very well mean we're a few years from contention - even with great coaching

I'm not as big fan of Will as many, where's the depth anywhere on this D considering contracts ? ... none.

considering a system change how many of the 17 defensive FAs do you want back?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/dallas-cowboys/
I'd be surprised if 6 of the are resigned

it's not like they didn't have this conversation with MM -putting a decent D on the field as challenging as the O, I'm sure they are putting a "process" in place to get it did

Outstanding post and insight.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He hired the best coach for the Cowboys.

It just so happens he is an offensive coach.

Doesn't change the fact he was the best choice.
But did McCarthy hire the right defensive coordinator? I highly doubt it...Nolan's track record should have thrown up a red flag.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I have no answer to this, as its anyone's guess. One thing for sure, there will be no insistent clapping on sideline.

dallasdave

Reaction score
McCarthy needed to step away for a year and get refocused and energized.
Green Bay probably did the right thing for both him and them.

I realize that there's a big age difference (among other things), but at the college level, it's a little bit like what happened with Mack Brown at Texas. He lost the joy in what he was doing and things grew stale. Now he's reenergized and loving coaching again with fresh outlook.
And has that burn to win some Super Bowls :yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock:

Kaiser

Reaction score
The biggest question for Cowboys fans is why Jerry insisted on hiring an offensive minded coach in Mike McCarthy for a team that already has the #1 offense in the NFL..

images.ashx

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This thread is dumb. The Cowboys were a pathetic 8-8 in 2019. Asking how MM can make them better is a weak question. I think the readers here are more interested in how MM can get the Cowboys to the Super Bowl again and on multiple occasions. There's not much doubt about the Cowboys getting better, that's a low bar. Let's talk about how we get back to the promised land!!!!