News: How does the Cowboys secondary stack up against the NFC East?

CCBoy

Reaction score
How does the Cowboys secondary stack up against the NFC East?
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/07/08/cowboys-secondary-stack-nfc-east/

Sep 28, 2014; Arlington, TX, USA; Dallas Cowboys cornerback Orlando Scandrick (32) in game action against the New Orleans Saints at AT&T Stadium. Dallas beat New Orleans 38-17. Mandatory Credit: Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

#2. Dallas Cowboys

Strictly from a talent perspective, the Cowboys secondary is a couple steps behind the rest of the NFC East. Orlando Scandrick is as good as any defensive back you’ll find in the division, but there isn’t much talent surrounding him. Players like Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Barry Church and J.J Wilcox doesn’t inspire confidence that the Cowboys will be able to stop the passing attack.

The real star of the secondary, and the defense as a whole, is defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, who has been squeezing every drop of good football out of each of these players, and did a good job taking an injured defense and keeping it in the middle of the pack in a disastrous 2015.

This secondary is built on a lot of hope. In 2012, the Cowboys signed Carr to a 5-year, $50 million deal, hoping to lock down one side of the defense. Meanwhile, they turned to 6th overall pick Morris Claiborne to shine on the opposite side.

Those moves have not panned out for the team, but they have become role players for the defense. Heading into 2016, with a newly healthy Orlando Scandrick should only improve the secondary as well as the rest of the defense...

Sydla

Reaction score
Well the Giants and Eagles Secondaries were crap.
So were just above that crap.
:angry:

Actually the Eagles secondary is probably better than ours. Their safeties are good now that they signed McLeod to go with Jenkins. They also signed McKelvin at CB, a guy we had some interest in.

Unless Jones turns into a stud at FS and Claiborne finds something, I suspect we are duking it out with the Giants for worst secondary in the division.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
If the offense forces our opponents to play catch up and take chances, our guys will look much better. I would love to see us keep at least one rookie and pick up a released vet later on because I'm tired of Wilcox and Church and Carr and the same guys it seems like we've had for five years.

gmoney112

Reaction score
If Claiborne can stay healthy, which is a big if, I think we'll be in talks for the best of the East. Scandrick and Byron are huge.

The offense putting up 30 a game will make them look a lot better.

When it's all said and done, they're probably about average in talent. If the offense plays to their ability, I think they'll pretty easily finish top 10.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Lo
This secondary will be better with a pass rush. Oh, wait ...

Lol no fear we have nobody on one side and nobody on the other side for 4 games. Plus we have a Injured guy that should be good and an eagle cast off. With nobody else. We should be fine.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Has anybody checked the Giants defense last year? We were pretty bad when we were 8-8 but they were even more brutal than that last year.

BTW - they still have no guards and no running game. I think they might be competitive early, but I believe they are in deep trouble next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Didn't read the article, but the above blurb has nothing on Jones at FS?

I thought that fact was pretty conspicuous as well. Although Jones is relatively inexperienced, he has promising possibilities of becoming one of the brightest spots in our secondary this year. How long has it been since we had a FS who was capable of decent pass coverage? Far too long.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Are the skins safeties any good because I do think they have two pretty good corners in Breeland and Norman. In fact, I think that tandem maybe the best in the division.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
All in all we should be considered tied for last with Philly. The Commanders are clearly 1 and the Giants have DRC,Jenkins and a 1st-2nd round talent in Apple.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has anybody checked the Giants defense last year? We were pretty bad when we were 8-8 but they were even more brutal than that last year.

BTW - they still have no guards and no running game. I think they might be competitive early, but I believe they are in deep trouble next year.

But...but...they have the one handed catch machine....:muttley:....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought that fact was pretty conspicuous as well. Although Jones is relatively inexperienced, he has promising possibilities of becoming one of the brightest spots in our secondary this year. How long has it been since we had a FS who was capable of decent pass coverage? Far too long.

So long, I can't remember when.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
So long, I can't remember when.

LOL -- been thinking about it and it seems to me it may have been when we saw the last of Darren Woodson. Sigh . . . here's hoping Byron Jones inspires renewed trust in that position.

Macnalty

Reaction score
No they are not crap...they aren't great, but they aren't crap.

They do not add much to the overall scheme. I think our secondary is 3rd or 4th in the East especially with Scandrick coming off a serious season ending injury. Like people have mentioned we have lots of Hope in Jones hitting his full stride in his second year.