News: How does the Cowboys secondary stack up against the NFC East?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do not add much to the overall scheme. I think our secondary is 3rd or 4th in the East especially with Scandrick coming off a serious season ending injury. Like people have mentioned we have lots of Hope in Jones hitting his full stride in his second year.

And I can't disagree they are 3rd or 4th in the East. But I won't say they are crap.

They are a product as an unit, as in the entire defensive unit. Can't have a good secondary without a good pass rush, can't have a good pass rush without a good secondary. Then the LB's can't do their jobs without either.
This is a new year, Carr / Claiborne swapping sides, Scandrick is back, yes coming off injury.
Jones, finally a true FS, allowing a SS to be a true SS in the box more.
A better DL to stop the run better, therefore freeing up the LB's to do their jobs better, which allows the secondary to do their jobs better, as well. It may allow the DE's to be better. Especially when DLaw and Gregory return.

Now that is a lot of stuff that needs to happen that we haven't seen yet. But that is what TC is for. It is a new year, better players, can lead to better schemes and better play. So maybe they jump to 2nd in the East now, by seasons end.

But I don't expect much support on this type of thinking, not on this site anyway....:laugh:.....

Macnalty

Reaction score
If I was to rate the NFC east defenses as a whole before training camp
Washington
?
?
?
I am amazed at the job Rod does with the group he has dealt to him each year. Giants new coach, Eagles new coach and still it is difficult to separate IMO.

TheHerd

Reaction score
If I was to rate the NFC east defenses as a whole before training camp
Washington
?
?
?
I am amazed at the job Rod does with the group he has dealt to him each year. Giants new coach, Eagles new coach and still it is difficult to separate IMO.

Think of any of the "good" defenses in this league. Who from the Boys would start on that defense? Maybe Lee. If Jones and Crawford live up to their hype, maybe them. To me Oscar is a chaser who is often in position but rarely makes play, so I wouldn't include him. No one else for sure. That right there is a major lack of talent.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'll just stick with two pulled brisket sandwiches and a smoked turkey leg...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think of any of the "good" defenses in this league. Who from the Boys would start on that defense? Maybe Lee. If Jones and Crawford live up to their hype, maybe them. To me Oscar is a chaser who is often in position but rarely makes play, so I wouldn't include him. No one else for sure. That right there is a major lack of talent.

Think of ANY team and their defense and their players that could start on a GOOD defense...it works for most teams....

ondaedg

Reaction score
We were the league's worst in takeaways, QB pressures, and passes defended. Our defense last year was WAY overrated due to the fact that teams knew they could score 17 points against us and still win. No way we make the playoffs if we can't take the ball away or get to the QB.

rynochop

Reaction score
If Claiborne can stay healthy, which is a big if, I think we'll be in talks for the best of the East. Scandrick and Byron are huge.10.

I know it's fun to hate on Claiborne but he had a pretty decent season last year. He should be motivated to get a multi year deal done after this year and I'm sure the joneses will give him one with a healthy/solid season

Sydla

Reaction score
Has anybody checked the Giants defense last year? We were pretty bad when we were 8-8 but they were even more brutal than that last year.

BTW - they still have no guards and no running game. I think they might be competitive early, but I believe they are in deep trouble next year.

Even with no running game they were a Top 10 scoring offense. If their free agent signings on defense help, the Giants are going to be a pretty good team this year IMO.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We were the league's worst in takeaways, QB pressures, and passes defended. Our defense last year was WAY overrated due to the fact that teams knew they could score 17 points against us and still win. No way we make the playoffs if we can't take the ball away or get to the QB.

So teams took it easy on us and didn't run up the score?

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
burning-question-scrape-burnt-toast-390x285.jpg

this should answer the question pretty quickly

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
If Claiborne can stay healthy, which is a big if, I think we'll be in talks for the best of the East. Scandrick and Byron are huge.

The offense putting up 30 a game will make them look a lot better.

When it's all said and done, they're probably about average in talent. If the offense plays to their ability, I think they'll pretty easily finish top 10.

I have absolutely zero faith in Claiborne.