How does the defense fix their lack of creating turnovers?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Other than Lewis and Quinn every one of these guys had a down year. Some really down. Marinelli and his staff did a horrendous job.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not only just for better production overall,..but i believe Awuzie and Jordan contracts are up after this season, ..and we need to have one or two top CBs already on board and ready to go before those departures set in.

i'd like a safety that can match up in coverage, has a knack for jumping passes in middle zones and make the key tackles; one problem that we are gonna have with both Ha ha and Xavier, both are average, so-so tacklers it's too many TE's ,backs and even QBs like Saints Taysom Hill that are able to bounce around and roll over these safeties

-4 key secondary players are scheduled to become fa's next year: Awuzie, Lewis, Woods & HaHa. Now is the time to start rebuilding the entire unit. I believe not signing Bryon was their plan all along as they didn't view him as an elite starter at the position. It had nothing to do with having enough cap space. Even though they missed out on the likes of Harris & Trufant, I fully expect the team to prioritize finding a starting CB, it's probably their #1 target overall. I would be shocked if we didn't see one drafted after day 2.

-I am very worried about our safeties and their tackling issues. Both struggle in that area, fully comfortable with their coverage abilities. Hopefully, with more size up front our linebackers can play clean and make most of the plays. It's time to invest in a premium safety. One who can become a long-term answer to the position. Problem is this front office, rather use their high resources elsewhere. I believe a high level safety would make the most impact on this defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Its mostly on Marinelli,we played passive defense.opposing teams knew what we were doing.being unpredictable and blitzing more can automatically increases TOs.

How do you explain Marinelli's defenses in Chicago? They were among the best in creating turnovers. It's more about having the right players then it is the scheme.

RS12

Reaction score
Better safeties.

Safeties who can cover more ground and have better instincts.

I'm not joking.

Fix that and watch the TO's increase.
This is true. Two of the best football players to ever step on the field both safties: Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed had instincts and ability to create turn overs second to none. Of course those guys are rare and I don't see anything like that in this draft class.

Verdict

Reaction score
1. Stop the run.
2. Get a lead.
3. Get pressure on the QB especially from in the middle in the QBs face.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its mostly on Marinelli,we played passive defense.opposing teams knew what we were doing.being unpredictable and blitzing more can automatically increases TOs.

:hammer:

Bingo!

Making opponents actually think about what you're doing goes a long way. No longer being the "Cowboys just do what they do" will make a huge difference.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Al Harris ought to help.

Also, many picks in the NFL are QB mistakes, which is caused by a by a pass rush.

Hoping the DL is much better than it was in that regard.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
One thing that hurts teams is DB coaches who teach face guarding and playing through the WR’s hands instead of playing the ball. It’s a way to avoid big plays but cuts down on INTs.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
When Crawford went down, we had below average DT's. M. Collins was a bust. The others were just scrubs. Now we have some real above avg DT's which may teach T. Hill to reach his potential. Plus Gregory was not there last year.

I am dying for Kinlaw. He can be a Fletcher Cox dominator. He will create INT's.

1981 Cowboys had great defensive line which helped two rookie free agent DB's pull in 18 INT's, Everson Walls at CB and Michael Downs at FS. Combined the starting 4 DB's hauled in 30 INT's. I am not exaggerating. 37 total INT's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DLINE LDE TOO TALL JONES, 6'9" with long rams and great leaping ability; he made Everson Walls into an All-Pro. QB's had to launch the ball much higher and Walls was a great ball-hawk. That and great tackling ability overshadowed Walls was slow afoot, 4.67 in the 40, and not a great one on cover man. Too Tall was 1st pick in 1974 draft.

LDT 6'7" John Dutton, former DE, former very high pick in 1st round 1974 draft.

RDT 6'4" all world Manster, Randy White, who came into the league with 4.6 speed. 2nd player in 1975 draft, took a Maryland team to top 10 finish was insanely best player in college football.

RDE 6'5" Harvey Martin, a sped demon pass rusher with 4.5 speed, NFL Defensive MVP 1977; when he was on fire, no one could stop him

Get some height on the DLINE. I hate these shorties.

Great DLINES make everyone else look great.

KINLAW with DLAW and TCRAW, the real McCoy, with D. POE, to defeat every foe! anevery f

DanA

Reaction score
How do you explain Marinelli's defenses in Chicago? They were among the best in creating turnovers. It's more about having the right players then it is the scheme.

You can't seriously raise a defensive system from over a decade ago as evidence relevant to the now. The NFL has moved on, Rod himself has evolved from then

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outside of maybe a year or two, the Cowboy Defense has ranked near the bottom of creating turnovers. This has been a huge problem for many years
Better coaching. Be more aggressive. Play the ball. Improve pass rush. Ball hawk Safety.

It's not hard to figure out. All things that can be fixed before the season opener.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Outside of maybe a year or two, the Cowboy Defense has ranked near the bottom of creating turnovers. This has been a huge problem for many years, especially when Marinelli left a defense in Chicago that was one of the league best in creating defensive turnovers.

I do believe a defensive scheme plays a role, as well as a consistent pass rush, but most importantly you need instinctive, defensive playmakers. Outside of perhaps a young Sean Lee, D Lawrence and one year of Lve, this defense just doesn't have any playmakers to speak of. This is the underlying issue, lack of defensive talent across the board.

The offense has shiny, expensive players throughout the unit, but the defense is put together off the scrap heap. It is a product of poor drafting and not using free agency/trade market correctly to fix their mistakes form the draft room.

Until they start drafting, using fa and trade market better, this is going to be an ongoing problem for year's to come.
Yeah.

And the problem is that, not much changes.

For example Aldon Smith and Gregory are full of questions.

On the other hand Crawford gets paid like a Pro Bowler.

Its thinking like this that is the heart of the matter.

Turnovers to me comes from group tackling and a consistant pass rush. In the secondary it takes not allowing separation.

Far to much under Richard, pass coverage seemed like bend don't break. The safety play has no aggressive leaders. They were mostly a line of defense to slow not stop.

Someway, via coaching and play selection and money spent well is this going to happen.

When they hired McCarthy they were staying with offense primarily.

Defense, turnovers and momentum swings are just not going to be used in the same sentence.

:angry:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Better coaching. Be more aggressive. Play the ball. Improve pass rush. Ball hawk Safety.

It's not hard to figure out. All things that can be fixed before the season opener.
I believe comes down to more of an aggressive scheme, better rush and instinctive ball hawks.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Better safeties.

Safeties who can cover more ground and have better instincts.

I'm not joking.

Fix that and watch the TO's increase.
That's exactly correct.
How your corners ever going to get picks when they constantly have to worry about their safety being out of position ..lol , sounds simple but its true.
You improve the safety positions on this team and we will instantly see an increase in turnovers.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Pressure up front, better tackling lanes for the LBers and the secondary being utilized for their skill set.

Cincycowboy

Reaction score
Outside of maybe a year or two, the Cowboy Defense has ranked near the bottom of creating turnovers. This has been a huge problem for many years, especially when Marinelli left a defense in Chicago that was one of the league best in creating defensive turnovers.

I do believe a defensive scheme plays a role, as well as a consistent pass rush, but most importantly you need instinctive, defensive playmakers. Outside of perhaps a young Sean Lee, D Lawrence and one year of Lve, this defense just doesn't have any playmakers to speak of. This is the underlying issue, lack of defensive talent across the board.

The offense has shiny, expensive players throughout the unit, but the defense is put together off the scrap heap. It is a product of poor drafting and not using free agency/trade market correctly to fix their mistakes form the draft room.

Until they start drafting, using fa and trade market better, this is going to be an ongoing problem for year's to come.
Two words....pass rush. in 1992, we had the #1 defense and who started in the secondary? Larry Brown (rookie), Ike Holt, thomas Everret, and james washington. No pro bowl talent at all. What we did get is Charles Haley. People getting enamored with safeties and CBs are missing the point I think. You get a big pass rush, especially up the gut, it will make your secondary appear better than they are. Our issue is we get no pressure and without that, no secondary can cover. I like what we are doing in FA by getting run stuffing passrushers. That is why aldon smith is coming. If Kinlaw or chaisson are available, dallas will pick them.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Its coaching and smart talented players who watch game film of their opponent and learn weaknesses and tendencies.

sunalsorises

Reaction score

Not to beat a dead horse but this might actually fall on Garrett.