CFZ How Does the Narrative Change if We Beat Vikes? Plus Potential Silver Lining of GB Loss

817Gill

Reaction score
First the potential silver lining of this GB loss:

-IF, and I know it’s a big if, we come out against Minny and truly learn from GB then it may be the best loss of the Mike McCarthy era.

-The team told us they learned from the time with Rush and moved towards a run-first offense. But as soon as we play a team that truly challenges us/is important they digressed right back into last year’s philosophy. In this loss that was painfully obvious. Hopefully it’s strong enough of a lesson to stop pivoting back to pass heavy O.

-Whether it’s Moore or Dak, we need to have finally learned our lesson about the risk taking and game scripts associated with 40+ pass attempts. If they show this understanding against Minnesota then it’s a huge step forward.

Now that we have an outline for potential silver lining from that loss. We turn to the main question of the thread.

If we go to Minnesota and beat them by playing the way we should play, how does that change the narrative?

I think it would eliminate the idea that the team this year can’t beat strong teams on the road. It would also chalk up last week’s loss as a tough OT road defeat versus a team playing for their season with a HOF QB leading the way. A lot less shameful than what’s been expressed this week by zoners.

What would change for you all if we beat Minny?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I think things will remain the same, we will have both positive and negative spin even in a victory. For the positive fan, we will have righted our wrongs to get back on track. For the negative fan, we got lucky, it was a fluke, don't read too much into it. I will enjoy a victory and see it as a springboard moving forward. A chance to continue the season in better position to achieve our goals.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’ve never been one to put too much emphasis on games throughout the season.

It appears our only chance of getting there this year is Wildcard. So just win 10 and get hot at the right time. I don’t really care who we beat.

stinkface

Reaction score
This team, like most Cowboys teams is an enigma. I remember years ago when the Saints were I believe undefeated and we beat them like a rented mule in the Superdome. Happy days, Superbowl for sure and bingo, we spit the bit. We always have pretty good talent, but I believe our head coaches have for the most part have not made us mentally tough.

We frankly are not a physical team on defense and it shows up every year usually at the end of the season. Either the front 7 or the secondary breaks down. Not sure why exactly that is, but it seems to happen each and every year. Always seems to happen when we play Greenbay, San Francisco or any team where Tom Brady is the QB.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Narrative in Dallas:
Make it to the postseason and get knocked out in the first round. If you make the playoffs at all.

Losing to GB or beating Minn doesn't change that.
These games hurt the chances of making the playoffs.

This QB, team, staff, and organization is a long long long ways away from changing narratives.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
To some fans, the narrative changes with each game. Heavens falling after a loss, instant Superbowl run after a win.

All in all this team can't go the extra mile in close games. Doesn't mean we never win, but I'd like to see that once in a while. Win the close ones against contenders. We beat both superbowl participants when they weren't so hot. But it still looked good.

So when you want to sum it up, this team just isn't among the top five, but among the top ten. That's why we win enough games to make the play offs and lose there. Simple.

817Gill

Reaction score
Nothing but playoff success changes the narrative.
Just curious, but if we go into a season and beat elite teams in the regular season/play up to the level we need to would that make you feel any different?

Realistically is there anything you could conceivably see in a regular season that would make you believe? Feel like it would be hard not to feel the juice if we played a whole regular season and didn’t fall to any of the same issues we always do.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Just curious, but if we go into a season and beat elite teams in the regular season/play up to the level we need to would that make you feel any different?

Realistically is there anything you could conceivably see in a regular season that would make you believe? Feel like it would be hard not to feel the juice if we played a whole regular season and didn’t fall to any of the same issues we always do.
We could go 17-0 in the regular season I would fully expect to lose the first playoff game.

There is nothing this team could do in the regular season that would make me believe.

I'll watch every game hoping this year will be different, but they'll never make me believe it's actually different until they show it in the playoffs.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
TBH, it didn't seem like we were playing against a team that was playing for their season. We just played badly. We should have beaten them easily, and possibly would have, if not for the turnovers leading to points for them instead of us, giving our OC and/or QB an excuse to eschew the running game.

phildadon86

Reaction score
First the potential silver lining of this GB loss:

-IF, and I know it’s a big if, we come out against Minny and truly learn from GB then it may be the best loss of the Mike McCarthy era.

-The team told us they learned from the time with Rush and moved towards a run-first offense. But as soon as we play a team that truly challenges us/is important they digressed right back into last year’s philosophy. In this loss that was painfully obvious. Hopefully it’s strong enough of a lesson to stop pivoting back to pass heavy O.

-Whether it’s Moore or Dak, we need to have finally learned our lesson about the risk taking and game scripts associated with 40+ pass attempts. If they show this understanding against Minnesota then it’s a huge step forward.

Now that we have an outline for potential silver lining from that loss. We turn to the main question of the thread.

If we go to Minnesota and beat them by playing the way we should play, how does that change the narrative?

I think it would eliminate the idea that the team this year can’t beat strong teams on the road. It would also chalk up last week’s loss as a tough OT road defeat versus a team playing for their season with a HOF QB leading the way. A lot less shameful than what’s been expressed this week by zoners.

What would change for you all if we beat Minny?
This team is missing some nasty. Has been for years. The last MLB we had that actually brought physicality to the position was Rolando McClain.

They need some MEAN PLAYERS. Parsons is 1. They need more than that. On both sides.

817Gill

Reaction score
We could go 17-0 in the regular season I would fully expect to lose the first playoff game.

There is nothing this team could do in the regular season that would make me believe.

I'll watch every game hoping this year will be different, but they'll never make me believe it's actually different until they show it in the playoffs.
Can’t blame ya

Dallasfann

Reaction score

I can promise you that if we win a SB this specific poster you asked will ***** about how we won and it was a fluke. PROMISE you that.

Zman5

Reaction score
No change at all. Dak can have a perfect game and get 5TDs and no INTS and the usual suspects will blame him for the defense giving up 10 points and Maher missing a 59yard FG.