CFZ How Does the Narrative Change if We Beat Vikes? Plus Potential Silver Lining of GB Loss

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No change at all. Dak can have a perfect game and get 5TDs and no INTS and the usual suspects will blame him for the defense giving up 10 points and Maher missing a 59yard FG.
Well if Dak would have ran the ball on 3rd down instead of the incompletion we would have won. The lane was open to get to the 30 yard line and it makes the game winner a reasonable kick.

Sorry just practicing for Monday morning.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
If they had beaten the Packers and lose to Vikings it wouldn't bother me as much. The Packers game was more important in the sense of what it confirms. If they beat the reeling Packers it shows that team has "nothing" left in the tank and no mental hold on the Cowboys and are legitimately as bad as there record states and there will be no run to the postseason. Heads may roll, or Aaron is shipped at seasons end. Vikings are 8-1, if we lose to them is it really unexpected? Beating them does less for us than beating the Packers from a mental standpoint. We've beaten a Vikings team that has been more talented the past two seasons, so it wouldn't mean as much. But I'll take ANY WIN though.

Loso86

Reaction score
First the potential silver lining of this GB loss:

-IF, and I know it’s a big if, we come out against Minny and truly learn from GB then it may be the best loss of the Mike McCarthy era.

-The team told us they learned from the time with Rush and moved towards a run-first offense. But as soon as we play a team that truly challenges us/is important they digressed right back into last year’s philosophy. In this loss that was painfully obvious. Hopefully it’s strong enough of a lesson to stop pivoting back to pass heavy O.

-Whether it’s Moore or Dak, we need to have finally learned our lesson about the risk taking and game scripts associated with 40+ pass attempts. If they show this understanding against Minnesota then it’s a huge step forward.

Now that we have an outline for potential silver lining from that loss. We turn to the main question of the thread.

If we go to Minnesota and beat them by playing the way we should play, how does that change the narrative?

I think it would eliminate the idea that the team this year can’t beat strong teams on the road. It would also chalk up last week’s loss as a tough OT road defeat versus a team playing for their season with a HOF QB leading the way. A lot less shameful than what’s been expressed this week by zoners.

What would change for you all if we beat Minny?
All the whiners and complainers will change their tunes for a week until we lose again

CWR

Reaction score
I’ve never been one to put too much emphasis on games throughout the season.

It appears our only chance of getting there this year is Wildcard. So just win 10 and get hot at the right time. I don’t really care who we beat.

You are probably right, but Philly will be tested vs Giants, Titans, Packers, and us in the next 5 weeks. If they are paper tigers we will see soon.

FTWayne

Reaction score
it will be back to the super bowl and Bob will make a new thread about the rise of the Cowboys nation, then we lose the following week. This is the Cowboys team, get used to it.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
3rGxGDY.gif

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Beating a good team in the regular season gives you a little hope they could maybe beat another playoff team. But untill they actually beat someine in the post season its just hope

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s an odd season.

Usually around now I realize we aren’t good enough yet again and hope for miracles.

THIS year, I realize that everyone else stinks also and we have an actual shot if we get hot at the right time.

817Gill

Reaction score
If they had beaten the Packers and lose to Vikings it wouldn't bother me as much. The Packers game was more important in the sense of what it confirms. If they beat the reeling Packers it shows that team has "nothing" left in the tank and no mental hold on the Cowboys and are legitimately as bad as there record states and there will be no run to the postseason. Heads may roll, or Aaron is shipped at seasons end. Vikings are 8-1, if we lose to them is it really unexpected? Beating them does less for us than beating the Packers from a mental standpoint. We've beaten a Vikings team that has been more talented the past two seasons, so it wouldn't mean as much. But I'll take ANY WIN though.
Eh I kinda feel the opposite. Beating the packers would just be passed over as a win versus a bad team to most. Also, I don’t believe the Packers are a terrible team and they are led by a HOFer. In todays NFL especially it’s any given Sunday. Playing a team who’s back is against the wall at home is never easy. Yes we should have won but it doesn’t signify anything too serious for me.

Minny is a top 4 team in the conference and just beat a very good team in Buffalo. They are looking to prove they are a real SB contender. Beating a team like that on the road would go a lot farther in making me feel like we are up for the challenge. Losing an emotional game to a team playing their in-season Super Bowl seems like more of an aberration than an omen.

Roland

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. I wanted to win that Packers game badly and get that monkey off of our back. But I am not sold on the idea that a win over a Viking team that is 8-1 would mean less to the team than a win over Packers this past weekend. Everyone but the Packers thought the Packers years was over. But a win over the 8-1 Vikings, especially after this painful loss, may go along way in gaining that confidence back for our Cowboys! So to me, this win would do more for the team than beating the Packers.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
First the potential silver lining of this GB loss:

-IF, and I know it’s a big if, we come out against Minny and truly learn from GB then it may be the best loss of the Mike McCarthy era.

-The team told us they learned from the time with Rush and moved towards a run-first offense. But as soon as we play a team that truly challenges us/is important they digressed right back into last year’s philosophy. In this loss that was painfully obvious. Hopefully it’s strong enough of a lesson to stop pivoting back to pass heavy O.

-Whether it’s Moore or Dak, we need to have finally learned our lesson about the risk taking and game scripts associated with 40+ pass attempts. If they show this understanding against Minnesota then it’s a huge step forward.

Now that we have an outline for potential silver lining from that loss. We turn to the main question of the thread.

If we go to Minnesota and beat them by playing the way we should play, how does that change the narrative?

I think it would eliminate the idea that the team this year can’t beat strong teams on the road. It would also chalk up last week’s loss as a tough OT road defeat versus a team playing for their season with a HOF QB leading the way. A lot less shameful than what’s been expressed this week by zoners.

What would change for you all if we beat Minny?
We have to win out and that will be tough but the loss to the Packers might help us in the long run. If they beat Tennessee, they get a mini bye before traveling to Philadelphia. If they beat them we control are own destiny.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
This team is missing some nasty. Has been for years. The last MLB we had that actually brought physicality to the position was Rolando McClain.

They need some MEAN PLAYERS. Parsons is 1. They need more than that. On both sides.

let’s see Williams & clark. Williams looks to be one and based on college success Clark could be too

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It means we beat Minnesota, but then need to go on and beat the NYG next. And so on.

However if Dak has a good game, it means some of the negativity goes away until his next bad throw. :muttley:

It doesn’t matter win or lose, it matters if Dak, Zeke, or defense, or OL has a good or bad game. To some fans anyway.
We can win with Dak not playing well enough, and the criticism will continue.
We can win with Dak having a great game, and the criticism will continue.

Me, I want a win no matter what. If we get to the playoffs, then we can go from their on potential success beyond that.
That is what the season is for, and the fun part about it. Winning and making the playoffs first.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To some fans, the narrative changes with each game. Heavens falling after a loss, instant Superbowl run after a win.

All in all this team can't go the extra mile in close games. Doesn't mean we never win, but I'd like to see that once in a while. Win the close ones against contenders. We beat both superbowl participants when they weren't so hot. But it still looked good.

So when you want to sum it up, this team just isn't among the top five, but among the top ten. That's why we win enough games to make the play offs and lose there. Simple.
That kind of mirrors this teams results. They seem to go from cinderella to zeros...glimmer of hope to stake in the heart...back and forth we go with no consistency either way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think this game is big for this team, coming off a loss yeah I fully expect that a win would go a long way with this team. As for narratives no it changes nothing since that pertains more to fans than the team

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I stay off the forum during games because even if the team is playing well, people freak the heck out. It could be the 1st quarter and some fans lose their minds.
After a loss? 100x worse. Fire this guy and cut that guy, he sucks, the coaching is awful.

Now, I know we lost. I get it. I'd obviously rather they win. But, it's still Green Bay in Green Bay. There's still Aaron at QB. And Dallas has no issue finding ways to kill drives.

But take a breath, we're 6-3. The middle. Plenty of games left. It's better than losing in the playoffs. I think if fans go back and watch the game closely they can find things to build on and win more games. It's a choice to be miserable.

817Gill

Reaction score
We have to win out and that will be tough but the loss to the Packers might help us in the long run. If they beat Tennessee, they get a mini bye before traveling to Philadelphia. If they beat them we control are own destiny.
Yup, and Philly is not invincible. Learn our lessons from this loss and apply it, we should be fine.