How does this team get to being an average defense?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Shocking at it seems Dallas has been a top 16 defense in points allowed (almost all that matters) the 4 years prior to this one.
Getting to average shouldn't be that hard.
They were flat awful then improved after the switch back to the 1 gap 4-3.
So the DC change was likely a big step in the right direction.
Of course you need some talent but don't necessarily need top of position talent anywhere on this defense as you have DLaw.
You need a lot of contributors and to figure out a starting Safety and a CB who are least replacement level starters.
It's not that dire as it seems IMO.
Mike Nolan made a lot of stuff worse by trying to do too much.
A switch that takes two normal NFL seasons he wanted to pull off in one COVID stricken one.
My only assumption for why is Nolan/Mac thought the offense would carry them then the defense would slowly improve with more reps.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
So the coaches and the players are all here for the money lol.
sounds about right. I figured Quinn just wanted the money, I know MM just wants the money. Same for many of the players.
Add to that how inept they all are, and yep no SB's in the near future lol.

I dont see no SB here. Not in the near future and not in the longer term.
JJ seems to make good revenue with an average team. Why need to invest or do more ? Better invest in PR, Ads and Merchandising.

And i dont want to paint a black/white picture. I dont think everybody with us is only here to make money.
But even if it were "only" 50% of our staff and "only" 50% of the players you cant expect to have a succuessful team. And i do think we have plus 50% of players and coaches that are here only to make money or revive their careers.

And you cant even be angry with them. Again, this is what JJ has to sell. You cant be angry that he finds someone who actually wants to buy his offer.

And JJ (respective the Dallas Cowboys) only has money to offer. He cant offer sporty success because he has none. He cant offer a functional franchise because it aint. He cant offer competent leadership because he hasnt and isnt.
All JJ can offer or advert with is money: Big contracts, advice to build your own brand, no taxes in Texas etc...
And you will convince primarily people to come here who are interessted in that kind of stuff.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys drfense ranked 23rd in yards against per game. Averaged giving up 29 points a game (28th) and opponents rushing against them averaged 5 yards per attempt (29th). That's flat out awful.

What moves need to be made to just be average?

I like the idea of signing the best NT in free agency, or going after Justin Simmons. Drafting a CB or DE round 1, and pretty much drafting best Defensive Player available throughout the rest of the draft.

Depth Chart, showing guys we lost too.
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

Starters: Gregory, Lawrence, Wilson, Diggs, Brown (slot CB), LVE
Rotation: Gallimore, Hill, AWoods, McCoy?, Anae, Armstrong, Reggie Robinson?
Starter Needs: CB, 3T, 1T, FS, LB (Assuming base nickel)
Draft -10th pick of the rounds, no 5th round, comp picks in 3, 4, 5.
I trade back the 10, and we get 5 picks in the top 3 rounds.

Notes:
I know LVE stunk, but he's cheap and could make a comeback if we have decent coaching.
Brown's salary owed is basically that free agent CB salary we'd pay for a bridge starter.
Could just split 1T between Woods run and Gallimore pass, with a developmental 1T run.
AWoods was probably on the bubble of being cut last year, and likely will be again.
I don't see DE. Very likely Gregory gets extended early.