How Garrett got into Princeton (and Columbia)

waldoputty

Reaction score
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett#College_career):
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.

waving monkey

Reaction score
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.
I don't care.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He wasn't hired here because he went to Princeton. And most people who go to Ivy league schools have some sort of connections. He could've also been a really good student, but that information was left out. So again, why does any of this matter?

waving monkey

Reaction score
He wasn't hired here because he went to Princeton. And most people who go to Ivy league schools have some sort of connections. He could've also been a really good student, but that information was left out. So again, why does any of this matter?
:cool:

John813

Reaction score

Yup. He got hired due to his dad being connected with Jerry and some saw him as a possible young and upcoming OC/future HC. Didn't pan out as hyped, but isn't a terrible HC.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score

Actually he's extra smart because he was admitted to Princeton twice and Columbia once.

waldoputty

Reaction score

i know many ivy leaguers.
some get in due to family background.
many get in by being smart.

what is surprising and telling is the ability to jump from school to another school and back again. that is not ur typical ivy leaguer getting in because of family connections.

irishline

Reaction score
it matters only in the sense that princeton is part of his credentials.

His father was an assistant coach with the Cleveland Browns when he was originally accepted into Princeton. So I fail to see how he had any hand in him getting into Princeton in the first place. And given that Princeton doesn't have academic scholarships, it lends to the fact that he had to be somewhat smart enough to get past their criteria or rich enough to have bought it - i do not see a building on their campus named after them so I tend to go with the first option.

I also fail to see a single fact in your post to back up your claim that his credentials are anything but what they are.

I would love for us to replace Garrett. Not a fan, but if you are going to attack the personal life and background of someone (that has nothing to do with his performance on this team), please try to have an actual fact or two and not just wild speculation.

i know many ivy leaguers.
some get in due to family background.
many get in by being smart.

Yeah the position coach for the Cleveland Browns title definitely rockets his family background up there I tell ya. :huh:

waldoputty

Reaction score
His father was an assistant coach with the Cleveland Browns when he was originally accepted into Princeton. So I fail to see how he had any hand in him getting into Princeton in the first place. And given that Princeton doesn't have academic scholarships, it lends to the fact that he had to be somewhat smart enough to get past their criteria or rich enough to have bought it - i do not see a building on their campus named after them so I tend to go with the first option.

I also fail to see a single fact in your post to back up your claim that his credentials are anything but what they are.

I would love for us to replace Garrett. Not a fan, but if you are going to attack the personal life and background of someone (that has nothing to do with his performance on this team), please try to have an actual fact or two and not just wild speculation.

what is surprising is the ability to jump to another ivy league school and go back to the original one.
that is extremely unusual even for ivy leaguers that get in because of personal connections.
even top students in ivy league schools do not have that luxury

waldoputty

Reaction score

being a really good student does not entitle someone to jump back and forth between schools like that.
it only matters if one is thinking garrett is smart because he went to princeton.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL...…..wow, makes all the sense in the world. He has always been a fraud poser. NOT a real head coach. Now it makes all the sense in the world. He does have a great skill, however. Being likeable and faking it. He is the biggest fraud in the NFL. He truly should be a politician. Been saying it for years.

foofighters

Reaction score

I don't like JG but I don't care one bit about this. This is all on Jerry for bringing in him as a coach (before hiring Wade) anyway...

oh, and wiki isn't really a credible source to use anway.