How Garrett got into Princeton (and Columbia)

waldoputty

Reaction score
I feel like this is one huge reach.
Smart, for one can mean a lot of things. Garrett, could be extremely "book smart". But being smart doesn't translate to being a good coach.
How much pull could his dad have in making Garrett transfer back to Princeton?
He was a former fired HC coach at Columbia, not some senator/mega billionaire booster.

Is there a source that shows that transferring back to a school is not allowed?

of course there is no rule for transferring back and forth for any school i can think of.
it just does not happen.
if i was a princeton alum, i would be pissed because it cheapens the degree.

BigD49

Reaction score
that may be quite true.
but that does not make them a good coach.
No doubt...but I also don't see how this makes him a bad coach. It's not like we were all sitting back saying "Dang JG is such a terrible coach, but he went to an Ivy league school so we must be wrong." He wasn't getting much credit regardless :laugh:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett#College_career):
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/garrett-family-nepotism-and-pyramid-scheme.393958/

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In case anyone is wondering I became a Cowboys fan an a wild turkey Drinker because of my dad:laugh:

I became a Cowboys fan, because my brothers would not shut the heck up about Bart Starr and the Packers after the ice bowl.
My dad drank beer, so I guess I got that from him, but not at that time. He didn't drink until I was around 13. With 4 boys, maybe we drove him to drinking. LOL.

waldoputty

Reaction score
No doubt...but I also don't see how this makes him a bad coach. It's not like we were all sitting back saying "Dang JG is such a terrible coach, but he went to an Ivy league school so we must be wrong." He wasn't getting much credit regardless :laugh:

the fact that garrett went to princeton has been used here in arguments before, and much more than once.

John813

Reaction score
of course there is no rule for transferring back and forth for any school i can think of.
it just does not happen.
if i was a princeton alum, i would be pissed because it cheapens the degree.

How does a guy who got originally accepted to Princeton, then left for a year to come back, cheapen the degree?

Not like we are talking about some Community college transfer who is going for a liberal arts degree or Princeton allows athletic players to play/graduate with low GPA standards.

So there's no rule/standard for transferring back to a school, but you know it just doesn't happen. Right.
You don't work at Ivy schools nor went to one, but just know that doesn't happen.
Ok.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I am sure this happens all over at every college.
Do you think that every football player, every basketball player. Heck I know people that are Engineers. And I often wondered if they were smart enough to get that Engineering degree.

I know people with master degrees, but yet they don't know how to manage their money.

athletes get in because they r athletes at probably every college.
that is understandable.

what is surprising is the ability to hop to different schools, and top ivy league colleges at that.

what it tells me is that garrett learned the political game at a very young age.
he did not earn it by merit but by who he knows etc.
unfortunately who you know does not help much on the football field unless ur last name is mara.

irishline

Reaction score
i dont really care where he went to school.
there are those who said he is smart because he went to princeton.
this thread addresses that.

Has Jason ever said he was smart because he went Princeton? If not then I do not see the problem.

There is nothing to address, especially with the speculations you laid out. Do you have his highschool documents with his GPA? Do you have his application to Princeton? Do you have access to the notes the acceptance committee wrote to defend their decision? No. So you know nothing about how he got into Princeton. And honestly if he got into Princeton, he could have easily gotten into any Ivy league school.

So really you know nothing that proves anything you said. Don't act like you do and don't insinuate something you cannot back up.

Argue about his job performance as a Cowboys coach, leave the rest out of it.

waldoputty

Reaction score
How does a guy who got originally accepted to Princeton, then left for a year to come back, cheapen the degree?

Not like we are talking about some Community college transfer who is going for a liberal arts degree or Princeton allows athletic players to play/graduate with low GPA standards.

So there's no rule/standard for transferring back to a school, but you know it just doesn't happen. Right.
You don't work at Ivy schools nor went to one, but just know that doesn't happen.
Ok.

i actually volunteered in the admissions committee for an ivy league school for 1 year.
this **** does not happen.

Tommy

Reaction score
what this info tells me is that standard acceptance criteria did not apply to garrett.
thus the fact he is from princeton does not mean he is smart.
then one should view his smarts by what he does in dallas, which is not good.
This info is telling you the same thing as everything else you read.

Whatever you want to believe.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Has Jason ever said he was smart because he went Princeton? If not then I do not see the problem.

There is nothing to address, especially with the speculations you laid out. Do you have his highschool documents with his GPA? Do you have his application to Princeton? No. So you know nothing about how he got into Princeton.

So really you know nothing that proves anything you said. Don't act like you do and don't insinuate something you cannot back up.

Argue about his job performance as a Cowboys coach, leave the rest out of it.

no garrett has not said that as far as i know.
it is what people say here when we argue.
and i am providing info that counters that argument.