How good do we think the 2-0 Cowboys are?

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s being widely discussed with our two dominating offensive performances against two of our division rivals that we are one of the best teams in the league at this point.

How good are we? And can we really measure up with the opponents we’ve faced?

Are we as good or better than the 2-0 Rams? The 2-0 Packers, Seahawks or 49ers right now in NFC?

How about the 2-0 Patriots, Chiefs or Ravens?

I’d suggest we tone down the rhetoric until we beat someone with a winning record. We’re off to a good start. It’s been fun but I’d be careful becoming too full of ourselves just yet.

This is where I think we are:

We are a top 5 team, that has better depth and more talent than just about any team in the league. We have beaten bad opponents handily, as we should have, without any real opposition.

Our defense has more talent than it has shown so far. The parts are more than the sum total right now. That’s encouraging in that if the defense comes together this team will be even better than it is now.

This team is a super bowl contender if we stay healthy and get things lined out on defense.

I am concerned about 3 things detaining it and they are, in the following order:

1. Defensive coaching is sub par. It could derail the season at some point.

2. DL can’t get pressure on the QB. DT talent and depth is lacking.

3. We are a bit thin at safety. Heath is good enough. Woods is a bit over hyped so far. We are thin beyond that.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Which is really a suprise. I thought the D was going to be the bright spot this year with a really good LBing core and a young and hungry DB group. Giving up way to many big plays. Hopefully they will come together.
That is exactly what I thought too. I guess it just shows us that how a team plays in the pre season doesn't translate over to the regular season at all. In the pre season, they were playing aggressive and were ball hawkers. This regular season they are playing very safe. I love the more aggressive style of play myself. The LB's LVE and Jaylon are also not making much impact at all. I don't see a lot of emotion coming from them like last year either. LVE seemed absent yesterday. Jaylin limped around at times too. I hope he is not having problems with his foot drop issue again?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course the talent matters. It always matters. However, if someone can't see the difference KitMo makes, I'd say they just don't want to see it. Greg, this is different.
I’ve never claimed to be an X and O type fan. I see better execution. And I see more talent. The results are different thus far.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Yep
The message board posters who thump their chest and call out ‘the trolls’ because they MIGHT be right after being misrerably wrong for 20+ years are the ‘brave’ people
The rest are ‘cowards’

Awwwww someone's feelings are still hurt.

I so sorry for your hurt feelings

:muttley:

kskboys

Reaction score
I’ve never claimed to be an X and O type fan. I see better execution. And I see more talent. The results are different thus far.
The WR's are running routes that get them open. Big change. Dak is releasing the ball much sooner. Huge change. This is due almost strictly to scheme, though talent is definitely necessary to make it happen. Running plays are more competent. The whole field is being utilized. And plays are being called to take advantage of what the D is leaving weak. Huge, huge differences.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The WR's are running routes that get them open. Big change. Dak is releasing the ball much sooner. Huge change. This is due almost strictly to scheme, though talent is definitely necessary to make it happen. Running plays are more competent. The whole field is being utilized. And plays are being called to take advantage of what the D is leaving weak. Huge, huge differences.
It looks great so far.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great, and almost completely different. This is like a weather change from 90 to 50. Yes, the sun is still shining and the earth is still turning, but it's different.
I still see much of the same formations and plays. It is still the same offense? Right??They’re just being executed better and called at more opportune times.

We really haven’t been challenged yet with pressure on Dak or needing to convert in crunch time or in Redzone with game on the line against more Elite defenses.

Dak has thrown some beautiful passes and we’ve had some that weren’t but receivers were wide open. I’d agree the results are different thus far. It’s great. But the results were better last year after we acquired Cooper. Cobb a great pick up and Gallup coming into his own. They don’t know who to cover. That is different too.

kskboys

Reaction score
I still see much of the same formations and plays. It is still the same offense? Right??They’re just being executed better and called at more opportune times.

We really haven’t been challenged yet with pressure on Dak or needing to convert in crunch time or in Redzone with game on the line against more Elite defenses.

Dak has thrown some beautiful passes and we’ve had some that weren’t but receivers were wide open. I’d agree the results are different thus far. It’s great. But the results were better last year after we acquired Cooper. Cobb a great pick up and Gallup coming into his own. They don’t know who to cover. That is different too.
No, it's not. Not the same O.

Plays are the same all over the NFL. Dak didn't suddenly morph into being able to run Linny's system at a very high level.

No, this is far more than execution.

I used to see what Cooper complained about all the time: WR's just running at the DB's and turning around. Greg, you're simply not seeing that any more. Slants and crosses are back in the playbook.

90-50 dude. Yes, it's still football, and WR's are still running routes. But, it's not the same. Not even close.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Nothing worse than ‘taking someone to the woodshed ‘ and then having to explain to them what that means

:facepalm:

Oh no ........ What happened to you in the woodshed?

Was it Risenstar? Show me on this doll where he touched you.

No wonder you are such a crybaby .... You have all the reason in the world.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, it's not. Not the same O.

Plays are the same all over the NFL. Dak didn't suddenly morph into being able to run Linny's system at a very high level.

No, this is far more than execution.

I used to see what Cooper complained about all the time: WR's just running at the DB's and turning around. Greg, you're simply not seeing that any more. Slants and crosses are back in the playbook.

90-50 dude. Yes, it's still football, and WR's are still running routes. But, it's not the same. Not even close.
Moore had his own offense ? I don’t recall reading about that. I thought it was still Garrett’s offense just his spin on it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s being widely discussed with our two dominating offensive performances against two of our division rivals that we are one of the best teams in the league at this point.

Are we as good or better than the 2-0 Rams? The 2-0 Packers, Seahawks or 49ers right now in NFC?

I’d suggest we tone down the rhetoric until we beat someone with a winning record. We’re off to a good start. It’s been fun but I’d be careful becoming too full of ourselves just yet.
I think we can play against anyone. Just think the defense needs to play more consistently as a team. I don't like the pass rush push up the middle. And if that's the only thing. We're pretty damn good

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Not me!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first time since the 90's, I believe we have "it". I'm stompin' the accelerator!!!!!
Enjoy every step of the journey and soak up the good feelings along with the bad ones because there will be slip-ups along the way. Contrast is what makes the world go round. Sunny, warm days wouldn't be so sweet if it weren't for the cold, gloomy ones. Joy and happiness wouldn't exist without sadness and tears. For those who don't want to enjoy the entire journey of a season until the team "wins games against contenders", I say to them: just turn off your TV until SB Sunday, then turn it on and see if your team is playing. Don't bother yourself with any games that don't matter, but only with the final one of the year. That will shield you from a lot of sadness (and happiness).

romonumberone

Reaction score
We all knew going into the season that the team is loaded on talent. But with football their is strength of schedule, coaching, & injuries. The team has stayed healthy so far except for Gallup who will be back soon. And the schedule that was tough is not looking so tough anymore. The Giants, Commanders, & Dolphins might be the 3 worst teams in football.... we play them 7 times this year. The Packers have not been that impressive. The Bears do not look as good. The Saints will be without Brees. So far everything is breaking our way. I predicted 9-7 at the start. I am very happy if I am wrong & the team goes 12-4.

Cydios

Reaction score
I was thinking "who can beat the Patriots?" Dallas can compete, Chiefs and maybe Rams. So we're definitely top 5.

windjc

Reaction score

Top 5 in the league. Pats, Kansas City, Rams, Dallas, and (take your pick). Not in any particular order.

endersdragon

Reaction score
I would put them as 2nd best in the NFC right now to only the Rams. Might be worse than the Saints as well but I expect them to struggle a bit without Brees and if we can get the win against them that will probably be quite important come January. The only reason I put us behind the Rams is they have had some more legitimate games this year and last (including beating us) that I think they are the best in the NFC for now. As for comparing us to the AFC.... don't care.

cowboyec

Reaction score
We arguably are after 2 games. But will that hold up when we begin playing contenders?

Great start but I’d pump the brakes before booking tickets to Super Bowl.
yet you want us to sit starters vs miami.

who are and who aren't contenders will be decided later in the season....but to this point in the season...we are one of the best teams in the league.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why should it be toned down? The team is 2-0, the offense is better than last season and the defense no worse so why not get carried away?

Hell, when can posters be happy, if not now? If it goes off the rails later, we can always be sullen and pissed off, we're used to that.

I agree it is early and they've not really beaten anyone but the QB, QBC and OC are seeing the field the same and so far, the QB looks improved. I poopooed the idea that Prescott's struggles were OC related but I am seeing a much more confident and in charge QB and he might just be top 10 after all.

This is like being a kid at Christmas and under that tree is a big mysterious box with your name on it and it could be almost anything, a new bike or socks for life, Christmas day is quite a ways off so whatchyagonna think is in that box?