How Good is the OL If Fully Healthy?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Fully healthy, it's just a question of how good Biadasz can be as a full-time starter. Williams was a good guard last year.
not so sure about that. Everyone is fully healthy in late march man. I wanna know if they can still play at the elite level they did. I have my doubts. As deep as this draft is at oline, it behoovs the team to explore drafting a guy that is capable of starting at RT/LT. I dont trust the 36 year old Ty to do the job for 17 games if we are without one of our tackles for a long stretch. I wanna be able to protect Dak and run the rock.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if Slater is there at 10 and Surtain or Horn are gone, I am running the draft card up fast for him. Hes a 12 year starter. We can plug him in at RT at first or LG. Gives us so much more flex.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Villeneuva is still availible..I think maybe we should consider him.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
if Slater is there at 10 and Surtain or Horn are gone, I am running the draft card up fast for him. Hes a 12 year starter. We can plug him in at RT at first or LG. Gives us so much more flex.
That was a waste JC will be there, I'll bet what every you want.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That was a waste JC will be there, I'll bet what every you want.
like I said..if JC is gone. I want him or Surtain. Jaycee will draw alot of PI. But he will get the ball too. Surtain is a tactician and wont have the chances to get the ball as much. Diggs will have a monster year and be our number 1 db if we draft either of them. Diggs showed elite ball tacking instincts during the back half of the year. He fought thru poor coaching, poor scheme, INJURY and did fine. He is our number 1 corner and he will prove it. I think we will have 2 elite starting corners in 2021 in Diggs and either Surtain/horn. This D will be much improved and we better be lol...just look at our schedule. Its rough.

Verdict

Reaction score
It seems like the consensus here is that it’s a very good, top 5 or at least top 10 unit. I figured that would be the case, which is one of the reasons that I started this discussion in the first place.

I believe, even when fully healthy, this group is not top 5 anymore and probably isn’t even top 10, even when healthy. I am going to suggest that as currently constructed that it’s ceiling is top 10 and the floor is probably around 20, WITHOUT INJURY issues arising.

This OL hasn’t manhandled anyone in quite some time. Top 10 OL will do that to a bad defense, and we haven’t seen that sort of performance in forever.

Martin is still very good, but his reputation is much more formidable than the actual player at this point. He is the strength of this line, but he IS slipping some. I love the player and the position flex and I’m a fan but he is not the best guard in football anymore.

I don’t know what to think of Biadacz at this point. If he becomes the next Fred Beard then maybe I will have to re-evaluate the situation but so far he is no Fred Beard.

Connor Williams is not very good. He’s just not. I’m not sure why the team insists on playing him as the starter. To say he is the weak link is very kind to CW.

Tyron was, at one time, dominant. He’s not anymore. He can win his one on one battles often enough, but he is a shell of his former self... healthy or not.

If Slater is there at #10, the team needs to give serious consideration to drafting Slater. If I were the Cowboys, and I selected Slater, I would be trying to flip CW, for a pick....4th or higher he would be a gonner.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If everyone is back and healthy, I think they’re top 10, with the potential to be top 5. But in my opinion, the group bought into their own hype the past few years and went from dominating to finesse. No truly great offensive line struggles in short yardage and goal line ‘money’ situations like this one has got several years now. I think they need more physicality, healthy or otherwise.

I agree. I wish they played with a chip on their shoulder or a mean streak in them. Within the rules of course. They may be kind of talented, but passive and too nice. Those short yardage plays they do have to be more physical and should not be denied kind of attitude.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It seems like the consensus here is that it’s a very good, top 5 or at least top 10 unit. I figured that would be the case, which is one of the reasons that I started this discussion in the first place.

I believe, even when fully healthy, this group is not top 5 anymore and probably isn’t even top 10, even when healthy. I am going to suggest that as currently constructed that it’s ceiling is top 10 and the floor is probably around 20, WITHOUT INJURY issues arising.

This OL hasn’t manhandled anyone in quite some time. Top 10 OL will do that to a bad defense, and we haven’t seen that sort of performance in forever.

Martin is still very good, but his reputation is much more formidable than the actual player at this point. He is the strength of this line, but he IS slipping some. I love the player and the position flex and I’m a fan but he is not the best guard in football anymore.

I don’t know what to think of Biadacz at this point. If he becomes the next Fred Beard then maybe I will have to re-evaluate the situation but so far he is no Fred Beard.

Connor Williams is not very good. He’s just not. I’m not sure why the team insists on playing him as the starter. To say he is the weak link is very kind to CW.

Tyron was, at one time, dominant. He’s not anymore. He can win his one on one battles often enough, but he is a shell of his former self... healthy or not.

If Slater is there at #10, the team needs to give serious consideration to drafting Slater. If I were the Cowboys, and I selected Slater, I would be trying to flip CW, for a pick....4th or higher he would be a gonner.
I might look hard at drafting a guy like Landon Dickerson at center from Bama. He is a mauler. Has longevity. Folks might be assuming way too much about our oline being fine. Im not sold on Tyler B either. I think I would make him a guard right now. Rather go get a bigger thug type to start there in Dickerson. Not sure Tyler is quite strong enough to take the pounding to start yet. Guess we will see.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
like I said..if JC is gone. I want him or Surtain. Jaycee will draw alot of PI. But he will get the ball too. Surtain is a tactician and wont have the chances to get the ball as much. Diggs will have a monster year and be our number 1 db if we draft either of them. Diggs showed elite ball tacking instincts during the back half of the year. He fought thru poor coaching, poor scheme, INJURY and did fine. He is our number 1 corner and he will prove it. I think we will have 2 elite starting corners in 2021 in Diggs and either Surtain/horn. This D will be much improved and we better be lol...just look at our schedule. Its rough.
Don't talk so loud. Haters don't like it. It ruins their day.!:) The back end is getting better if only moderately. Draft some front guys and they will get a lot better.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree. I wish they played with a chip on their shoulder or a mean streak in them. Within the rules of course. They may be kind of talented, but passive and too nice. Those short yardage plays they do have to be more physical and should not be denied kind of attitude.
yup. AGREE. Our players tend to play like they are soft or satisfied..no fear of losing their roster spot..no fire or hunger. That is why I wanna explore drafting a bruiser oline guy. Competition breeds success. We need to get back to cowboy football..having a nasty oline and a nasty dline to impose our will. People might hate that but it works. Look at Tampa during the last half of the year in 2020. Its football 101. Control the trenches, you win alot of ball games and free up your skill guys to do what they do, make plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep. I feel like they bought into their own hype and went a bit 'Hollywood' for lack of a better term. As if they could just show up and the other guys would be so intimidated that they could do whatever they wanted. Or when they strolled out to practices together like everyone should stand back in awe. That 'mystique' has been shattered and has to be earned back. For me, that would mean a return to basics, and hard practices and sled work, over and over again. And whoever was too injured to keep up should be thinned out of the group rather than repeatedly missing practices and kept under glass until gameday. It doesn't help that they have so many huge contracts paid to the group, contracts that were worked and re-worked to the point where you have to keep them. Security breeds complacency, and offensive linemen should be uncomfortable, mean, and nasty.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It's top 15. It is not top 3 like it was 2014-2016, but it isn't terrible either. Healthy Tyron is still one of the best tackles in the business, Looney and Biadasz are capable, Zach Martin is the best in the league and except for a certain kind of end LaEll Collins can do it all.

LG is still a weakness that has not been addressed, and run blocking isn't nearly as good as it once was (I don't think we have EVER filled the gap that Bill Callahan left behind), but it gets the job done.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Meh, if they play well, somewhere 5-10 range. Certainly good enough to give Zeke some holes if we can stay healthy.

Creeper

Reaction score
It all depends on how well Biadasz plays. We know what Connor Williams is. He is good on the move and weak against the guy right in front of him. Big strong DTs are going to push him around. If Biadasz cannot anchor the middle then no matter how healthy Tyron Smith is, the OL is going to struggle protecting Dak and run blocking. Then again, maybe Dallas selects someone like Ben Cleveland or Quinn Meinerz to possibly take Connor Williams's place at LG.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not clear who will be at LG and Center. I'm sure Biadasz will get a chance to take the center position. OG could be a toss up between McGovern and Williams.

That all said, if all are 100% it should be a strong O-Line. Smith isn't the player he once was, but if healthy he is still very good. And whoever ends up starting at center, they should at least be decent quality, and boosted by being sandwiched between Smith and Martin.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They are above average when healthy. But staying healthy has been an issue.