How have we gotten to this again?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are only 3 years removed from having given Romo an obscene contract and then Dez and both contracts have just come off our books after years of killing our cap.

Both players could not live up to their contracts and won very little.

We were unable to resign players and lost players left and right and finally it all hit the fan at 6-10.

Now we are about to start the whole process again only with a QB who has had only 3 years in the NFL to prove himself as deserving in DAK.

Romo had 4 years before he became a starter then it was another 2 years before we gave him the big contract.

6 years of knowing what we had and still it blew up on us.

Here we are again looking at investing in another bargain player in Dak like Romo was and it took 10 years to move on from it.

I just really think this franchise has lost its mind if they jump off the deep end with DAK.

And I like him but he has some skill sets still absent.

Before taking another poison pill contract in the hopes of succeeding..

let DAK win something more than a preliminary playoff game.

He does not have to be re-signed yet.

He has another year on his deal.

So what if it costs more to sign him later.?

If that happens and he wins..

we pay him or not.

If not..we are not going to have a problem taking his money and signing a QB in FA that can help us or if we were really wise..

draft another DAK and start getting him ready going forward now.

We could use our #2 pick and draft somebody and let Rush and White go.

Either way we win.

This is what the Patriots would do.

They draft a Garofalo and when they knew Brady was going to be staying..

they traded him.

But they did not get into a crisis over a single player.

Just for once I would like to play with a winning hand.

I know some here will think this is crazy..but not to me.

If this all goes to Hades and Garrett gets fired after this year..

at least the new coach will not be saddled with a hopeless salary cap situation to start over with.

Slow it down Stephen, Jerry and company.

Take your time.

Comments?

I think we are about 6 years from having given Romo that big contract. I’m pretty sure he was well into his last contract Dak’s rookie year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think we are about 6 years from having given Romo that big contract. I’m pretty sure he was well into his last contract Dak’s rookie year.
I thought I saw we had $10 mil last year come off.

Somebody who keeps up with the cap can tell you.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You didn't just say that?? Daks play in the 2 playoff games! He didn't lose them games! LOL
I thought you implied something else.

Sorry.

Getting alot of conversations on this thread.

Yes.

I mentioned that.

My issue with Dak is he starts out slow and we fall behind constantly.

Down one to 2 scores often.

Which is why his 4th Qt win total is higher than usual.

When that happens in the playoffs..

results can be terminal.

He needs to correct this going forward.

Score early and control the game.

Not play in reaction.

I blame Linehan for alot of that.

We will see under Moore and Kitna.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Now we are about to start the whole process again only with a QB who has had only 3 years in the NFL to prove himself as deserving in DAK.

Romo had 4 years before he became a starter then it was another 2 years before we gave him the big contract.

3 years would have been enough for Dak to prove himself, one way or another, if we had had proper offensive coaching. But we didn't, and now we're left in a bad spot where we just haven't learned what we needed to learn about Dak before making a decision.

The big problem is that Dak isn't going to play for 2mil this year. At least not a full season. He's going to sit out much of the season unless a big chunk of money finds it's way into his bank account.

The Romo contract model is actually just what we need for dealing with Dak. Extend him one year at the franchise price, pushing half the money into this year. We lock in two years.

We evaluate Dak, Garrett, Moore, and much of the offense next offseason. We can bring in a new HC if he has a decent QB locked in for a year, but not committed to for the future.

Romo blew up on us because of his body. He actually got better skillwise. MVP level play in 2014. The bright part of Dak is that he'll get better too, but is perfectly healthy, younger, and a tank. Health risk is about as low as it can be for an NFL QB. Dak has a solid floor of what he'll give us.

Having said that, I'd rather structure the team along the lines of running QB draft picks who can walk into a great offense. We have a run first offense. And it's good. It's the best thing we do. A running QB *who we actually run* is the perfect complement to Zeke and the oline.

Take that 25-30mil, and spread it around to make a solid team. Make a team that can win a SB if it hits on a QB. Then keep swinging until you do hit on one. Note that this strategy makes us a great landing spot for a QB looking for a ring, or looking to prove himself in the league, and then hit it big.

Rich Gannon was a nobody journeyman for over a decade until he started making Pro Bowls, All Pros, and MVP with Oakland. He wasn't an arm. But he protected the ball, he ran the ball, and cost next to nothing.

Sounds like anyone you know? I don't think it's that impossible to find these guys, and for peanuts compared to the money we're contemplating now. You *make* them by spending that money on the rest of the team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We are only 3 years removed from having given Romo an obscene contract and then Dez and both contracts have just come off our books after years of killing our cap.

We were unable to resign players and lost players left and right and finally it all hit the fan at 6-10.

Here we are again looking at investing in another bargain player in Dak like Romo was and it took 10 years to move on from it.

I just really think this franchise has lost its mind if they jump off the deep end with DAK.

we pay him or not.

If not..we are not going to have a problem taking his money and signing a QB in FA that can help us or if we were really wise..

Either way we win.

they traded him.

at least the new coach will not be saddled with a hopeless salary cap situation to start over with.

Take your time.

Comments?
your talking like it is up to just the qb whether they win in playoffs or not!
It is other players too, and more importantly HC and his staff, and even the jones boys, that all factor in whether they
go further in playoffs.
JG has been here since 2007, and his offenses always fizzle in playoffs, along with poor game mgmt and game plans.

That is the biggest anchor on this team , and with that weight on them , they will continue to sink once in playoffs.
It doesnt matter who the QB is.
Garrett has failed with Romo, Dak as rookie of the year, and Dak in his 3rd season after a big win streak.
The common link to these failures is Garrett.

I am not worried about signing dak, my worry is that Garrett gets extended if they do well this year.
So me I am hoping they make playoffs, but lose again in dive round, or maybe even WC round, and then
maybe jones boys will cut him loose.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
your talking like it is up to just the qb whether they win in playoffs or not!
It is other players too, and more importantly HC and his staff, and even the jones boys, that all factor in whether they
go further in playoffs.
JG has been here since 2007, and his offenses always fizzle in playoffs, along with poor game mgmt and game plans.

That is the biggest anchor on this team , and with that weight on them , they will continue to sink once in playoffs.
It doesnt matter who the QB is.
Garrett has failed with Romo, Dak as rookie of the year, and Dak in his 3rd season after a big win streak.
The common link to these failures is Garrett.

I am not worried about signing dak, my worry is that Garrett gets extended if they do well this year.
So me I am hoping they make playoffs, but lose again in dive round, or maybe even WC round, and then
maybe jones boys will cut him loose.
Garrett is being a cool cucumber right now..

Isn't he.?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
1. Know when your player's value is up. The number one talent that Belicheck and the Patriots display over and over again and throw into the faces of the entire league and the fans who continually handwring over their success...They have a good fundamental understanding of every one of their player's best before dates. They have an expiry label attached to all the player's names.

We so badly missed that one with Romo.

2. Dez Bryant. What an immature kid. We got tied up with him, and couldn't see the forest from the trees. Look at how Dez outed himself and his attitude when he was cut from the Cowboys. There you go Cowboys fans true maturity. When things don't go well with your employer you go all postal on Twitter, and start getting on your ex-teammates....Sean the Snake Lee anyone???

The Saints don't even know the bullet they dodged there. Could you imagine Drew Brees dealing with the temper tantrum waiting to happen that is Dez Bryant.

The Jones have to remember they are running a football team. Not a rehab centre for wayward kids.

Big culture and mgmt miss #2. I call this issue not having a true mission and values. When I look at the Cowboys brain trust I have to wonder what his the real mission, vision and values they have over at HO. Is it really focused on winning football or is it focused on being the flashiest team in the league.

They have the best stadium for 10 yrs, but this is the overall results...89-71 with four losses in the divisional round of the playoffs. The team who recently won the tournament their record has been 123-37 over the same period of time JerryWorld has been in place. (5) cracks at the SuperBowl. Only once knocked out in wildcard round and once in divisional. Everything else is conference or SuperBowl.

The Patriots can brag about the equivalent of two full perfect seasons of W's against the Cowboys record over the same period of time. That's shameful for what is suppose to be the premium franchise of the league.

Don't get me wrong I am a Cowboys fan through and through, but there has to be a different way. We have to rise to the resources we have and use them wisely to win not just league games, but to advance to the SuperBowl. There is no point to being in the league unless you intend to win the SuperBowl. If we don't care for that, then we might as well re-brand ourselves the Bengals or the Browns.

I don't have a problem with signing Dak. The biggest problem I have is not knowing when Dak is no longer useful to the franchise and making sure we ditch him before it costs us.

The risk mgmt around Romo and Dez cost this franchise. We just got lucky that one of the seasons Romo went down Dak came in and blew things up with Zeke.

Who else on this current roster do we have to evaluate risk mgmt around? A LT with a habitually bad back who has missed three games every season for the past three years?

Anyone else for another double scoop of Rob Pettitti and Chaz Green???

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You sound like a know it all. What front office do you work for? Josh Rosen did have a shaky rookie year, but he didn’t get much help at all. All QB’s need talent around them to be successful, especially rookies. See Dak’s rookie year. I think Rosen has a good chance to be a very good NFL QB.

Most fans don’t understand qb development or the relationship between the qb and the players around them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Staubach as we know was in the Navy.

He would have been the first player drafted if he was not in the service.

Thank goodness he was for us.

The rest of your list is valid..

good research.

But my points for this team remain unchanged.

Our best QBs were drafted high and lasted the longest.

DAK is an anomaly.

His biggest asset is not his arm or his legs.

It's being drafted by. a team that was building a team for Romo to make one final run at a SB.

Luck is DAKs biggest plus.

If he was with Arizona..or Chicago..

he would be on the bench.

So while I root for DAK..

I look at it as opportunity + timing for him.

Zeke is the big wheel in our machine.

DAK needs to just minimize his errors and we be competitive.

Now is he worth $25+ mil..?

Hmmmmm...

I think it’s safe to say your the opposite of a qb guru.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Carr was in 2013. He’s not relevant to how the team is handling business today. Even Crawford was 4 years ago (and admittedly a head scratcher). Besides, they never said they “couldn’t” sign a player, they said wouldn’t sign players they felt would put them in a bind with the salary cap.

He's relavent when Romo was under contract. And that's what the options brought up. My point being we were still able to sign big players with Romo.

ghst187

Reaction score
Did you forget about the painful years we went through between Aikman's retirement and Romo starting? Franchise QBs do not grow on trees. We aren't just going to replace Dak with no problems. We were lucky to have Dak fall to us at the end of Romo's career. I'm not suggesting we break the bank to keep Dak around but I do think we need to try to negotiate.

The only team in modern history to win a SB with a sub par QB is the Ravens with their legendary > ‘85 Bears Defense....unless you count the two rings Sheli stole.
If you don’t have a QB in this era, you don’t have a chance. It’s a QB league.
This is why their salaries are out of control, that and an incompetent commissioner.
You can hate Dak all you want, he has some flaws sure, but he’s better than over half the current starters in the league so the only way it makes sense to ditch him is if you know you have someone better but I just don’t see any college prospects better nor do I see Brady, Brees, or Rodgers becoming available for us to sign. Wilson’s already off the market too.

kskboys

Reaction score
The only team in modern history to win a SB with a sub par QB is the Ravens with their legendary > ‘85 Bears Defense....unless you count the two rings Sheli stole.
If you don’t have a QB in this era, you don’t have a chance. It’s a QB league.
This is why their salaries are out of control, that and an incompetent commissioner.
You can hate Dak all you want, he has some flaws sure, but he’s better than over half the current starters in the league so the only way it makes sense to ditch him is if you know you have someone better but I just don’t see any college prospects better nor do I see Brady, Brees, or Rodgers becoming available for us to sign. Wilson’s already off the market too.
Payton Manning was very subpar for the Broncs. Just sayin'!!!

pansophy

Reaction score

we pay him or not.

Either way we win.

they traded him.

Take your time.

Comments?
Hard to predict when someone's body just isn't going to take it anymore. Romo's abilities didn't go away, he just couldn't stay on the field.

I saw glimpses at the end of last season that Dak was turning the corner as a passer, and was throwing teams out of clogging the middle of the field. If they see that on tape and believe that Dak is ready for a breakout year then we'll be happy they signed him now and not at the end of a huge year -- that's my hope of why they are in a rush to sign him anyway.

kskboys

Reaction score
You mean that first ballot HoF’er who’s second in history for like every major passing record...?
You mean the guy who was benched for Osweiler and was terrible w/ 9 TD's and17 INT's and a 67.9 QBR? The guy who threw for 222, 176, and 141 yds in the playoff games that year, relying heavily on the D to win it?

Hey, you said subpar!!!!! Payton was no doubt subpar at that point!!!

However, I do agree w/ your point. You must have a QB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Payton Manning was very subpar for the Broncs. Just sayin'!!!

Manning and Newton QB ratings were 57 and 55.
Both Brady and Goff were 71 and 58. (+1 Wade)

Big Ben won a SB with a 22.6 QB rating. Antwaan Randle El threw the Steeler's only TD pass that game.

Strangely, Flacco actually had one of the best recent games for a QB.
Another guy with a decent game - Kaepernick. SF could have won that game.

I'd rather have Dak throwing than Kaepernick. And he can run the ball too.

Great passers might get you to the SB. But great QB play isn't always what wins a lot of them. I hadn't noticed this before, but it's another log on the fire for going cheap with a running QB.

Sure, I'd rather have Brady or Rodgers, but crying for an elite QB isn't a process to get one. You *can* draft and churn running QBs. All it takes is the will to do it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Cowboys brain trust I have to wonder what his the real mission, vision and values they have over at HO. Is it really focused on winning football or is it focused on being the flashiest team in the league.
Is it really focused on winning football or is it focused on being the flashiest team in the league......Thats easy the flashiest !!:flagwave:
And the richest, you left that out, after that they want to win 5 SB's in a row too but are having a problem in that area.:muttley:

Cowboys brain trust.......Arkansas hillbilly trust, not sure about the brain part.

the real mission, vision and values........ nothing laid out, no mission or plan.
the jones boys are so smart they ad lib everything, and just do whatever they feel like is good at the time.
They like bargains, that explains gregory , lael, and some others
Dez , they felt like they are again so smart, they could control him and get value out of him and they did ok with that,
just should have never signed the 2nd contract with him.

Now they have gone cheap and want to build solely thru the draft, and that just isnt feasible especially for the jones boys.
They have a vague plan, but they will change it whenever they want .
One goal is to "win garrett a super bowl" :muttley: it is supposed to be the other way around, but hey it is the jones boys!:thumbup:
as for expiration dates, lol they dont have those, witten is a classic example of that.

But dont fret lol the jones boys are on the job !!!! ......or on the yacht, or the party bus, lol not sure, but you can bet
they are cyphering out what to do and who to draft! ( they cipher about like jethro did back in the day on bev hillbilly show)
Even Jethro could cypher all the playoff wins they have had last 15 -20 years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's relavent when Romo was under contract. And that's what the options brought up. My point being we were still able to sign big players with Romo.

Did you forget they had to break up the 2014 team that did so well because they felt they couldn’t sign both Dez and Murray? And those were just 2 players. Now we have 3 offensive linemen and a DE under big contracts and have Zeke,Cooper, Dak and Jones still left to sign. My guess is Jones ends up being lost.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did you forget they had to break up the 2014 team that did so well because they felt they couldn’t sign both Dez and Murray? And those were just 2 players. Now we have 3 offensive linemen and a DE under big contracts and have Zeke,Cooper, Dak and Jones still left to sign. My guess is Jones ends up being lost.

Did you forget we offered Murray a contract and could have matched what he got from the eagles. We decided not to overpay the 1 year wonder while the eagles instantly regretted paying him. We had the money if we had wanted to keep him.