How have we gotten to this again?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you forget we offered Murray a contract and could have matched what he got from the eagles. We decided not to overpay the 1 year wonder while the eagles instantly regretted paying him. We had the money if we had wanted to keep him.

We offered Murray a well under market value contract. We made a choice. That’s how the NFL works. Every team has to make choices about who they pay and don’t, and teams sometimes have to sacrifice players.

Think about your scenario - you are saying that the Cowboys could still pay Carr and Romo at the same time. Two players. And that is your compassion to the situation today where’s they have 4 current players under big contracts, and have 4 more to sign that will require big contracts. Not really apples to apples.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We offered Murray a well under market value contract. We made a choice. That’s how the NFL works. Every team has to make choices about who they pay and don’t, and teams sometimes have to sacrifice players.

Think about your scenario - you are saying that the Cowboys could still pay Carr and Romo at the same time. Two players. And that is your compassion to the situation today where’s they have 4 current players under big contracts, and have 4 more to sign that will require big contracts. Not really apples to apples.

You were saying we had to break them up paying Romo then Dez. My point is we didn't have to. Murray got what 6 a year, we offered 4ish. We didn't have to let him go we chose to, and rightfully so. Tis true we can't sign them all to Max deals. But we will also be losing wit, Lee, Crawford contracts soon too. That's another 20+ million in savings. Plenty if room to get some deals done. The real debate is which guys should be signed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You were saying we had to break them up paying Romo then Dez. My point is we didn't have to. Murray got what 6 a year, we offered 4ish. We didn't have to let him go we chose to, and rightfully so. Tis true we can't sign them all to Max deals. But we will also be losing wit, Lee, Crawford contracts soon too. That's another 20+ million in savings. Plenty if room to get some deals done. The real debate is which guys should be signed.

Regarding Murray, you are acting as if only the years matter and not the price. I believe our offer to Murray carried something like $18 million guaranteed, and he got $42 million guaranteed, so you can’t pretend our contract offer was in the same ballpark.

What you are missing is that it’s not that they couldn’t have paid to keep Murray go, or that they flat out couldn’t sign another high priced free agent from another team, it’s that they know if they do it has a bigger impact than on one season and can affect ability to sign others in the future. A team can’t look at it only in terms of how it affects the current year.

What you are right about is that the issue is which players they should sign, and as I said, I suspect Byron Jones will be the one that doesn’t get extended.

kskboys

Reaction score
Regarding Murray, you are acting as if only the years matter and not the price. I believe our offer to Murray carried something like $18 million guaranteed, and he got $42 million guaranteed, so you can’t pretend our contract offer was in the same ballpark.

What you are missing is that it’s not that they couldn’t have paid to keep Murray go, or that they flat out couldn’t sign another high priced free agent from another team, it’s that they know if they do it has a bigger impact than on one season and can affect ability to sign others in the future. A team can’t look at it only in terms of how it affects the current year.

What you are right about is that the issue is which players they should sign, and as I said, I suspect Byron Jones will be the one that doesn’t get extended.
Although I did agree w/ not paying Murray, our offer to him was chicken poop.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You didn't just say that?? Daks play in the 2 playoff games! He didn't lose them games! LOL
He played very well vs GB, but vs the Rams, with a crappy game plan, there were still plays to be made by Dak and he didn’t do it. I’m a little concerned Dak has hit his ceiling. I was hoping he would play better vs the Rams. Hopefully, a new offensive coordinator, who has smart creative game plans, will help Dak’s game move to the next level.

GenoT

Reaction score
D Murray had one above-average season before his career year, one above-average season after, and didn’t play in 2018. We were correct to low-ball him after 2014.

Meanwhile, and dispite his 6-game suspension in 2017, Zeke is proving to be a workhorse/franchise RB.

Unlike Murray, Zeke’s a potential Dorsett/Emmitt.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Problem is we've let Dak create all the leverage. If it were me I'd either trade a 2 or 3 for Rosen or try and trade our 2 for a 1 next year to gear up to get in the top 10 next year. As long as we lack a backup plan it's carte Blanche to bend them over and he knows it.
I would like to see a trade for Rosen. At least the team would have a chance of having a real pocket passer that can make all the throws.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I would like to see a trade for Rosen. At least the team would have a chance of having a real pocket passer that can make all the throws.

The point to me is you just can't let a guy hold all the cards. At least not a guy like Dak who is replaceable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He played very well vs GB, but vs the Rams, with a crappy game plan, there were still plays to be made by Dak and he didn’t do it. I’m a little concerned Dak has hit his ceiling. I was hoping he would play better vs the Rams. Hopefully, a new offensive coordinator, who has smart creative game plans, will help Dak’s game move to the next level.

Hard to judge Dak as hitting his ceiling until he has decent play calling. Moore at least should be better.

Anyone but Linehan.