CFZ How I Feel Fehoko Will Be Used As A Hybrid TE

Verdict

Reaction score
This will be a pretty long post. I apologize in advance.

Since Simi Fehoko and McCarthy both talked about how the team asked Fehoko to add weight to be a hybrid TE, I’ve been contemplating just how the Cowboys might be planning on using him. The team called it a tight end hybrid or pseudo TE. I also think the team might also use Noah Brown in a similar fashion because he is really big for a WR and might be the best blocking WR in the league.

Below is a video that illustrates what I’m thinking. It is done by Brett Kollmann, who is one of my favorite guys on YouTube to watch. He is excellent and really knows football inside and out.

In the video, Kollmann goes over how the Rams use Cooper Kupp and how the Vikings (with their new head coach being McVay’s offensive coordinator) will likely use Justin Jefferson (who was asked to block a lot at LSU, and did it very well).

Now, I know the exact way that the Rams use their 3 receiver sets won’t necessarily be the same way the Cowboys will, but I think it will be very similar in the way both will run the ball out of that formation.

Dallas has really liked using the 3 WR set (11 personnel) in the past, but they have used it more in a conventional manner. Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup running their routes, just like offenses usually do.

However, when McVay does it, he has Cooper Kupp, who is also one of the best blocking WR’s in the league. So for McVay, it is almost like a 2 TE set (12 personnel) because along with his TE he has Kupp who blocks his butt off.

So what you have is a 3 receiver set, that actually functions similar to a 2 TE set in the run game. This creates big issues for the defense because they typically counter 11 personnel with a nickel (or even dime) sub package, which obviously isn’t as strong against the run as a base defense.

In the video, Kollmann gives a stat that almost 25% of all the plays run by the Rams offense was a run out of 11 personnel. Not 25% of all running plays… it is 25% of all plays. It was very successful for McVay because obviously, they can pass out of that set just as easily. They ran it a huge part of the time.

So if defenses played the run, Stafford could pass. If defenses countered with a passing sub package, the Rams could hurt you on the ground

Clearly one of the big differences for Dallas is that Kupp (and Jefferson) are better receivers than Brown or Fehoko. However, if the Rams did throw out of a 3 WR set, it didn’t have to be Kupp getting the ball. He just got it a lot because he’s the best WR in the league and was often open. If Dak throws to Lamb or Gallup (or whoever) instead of Fehoko/Brown, the principles are still the same. The defense is still at a disadvantage if they have run-stop personnel on the field on a pass play, and vice versa.

On run plays for Dallas, Fehoko or Brown would have a clear advantage blocking a DB. Brown blocks almost like a TE anyway, and Fehoko will be big enough to be a very good blocker as well.

We know that Dallas wants to run the ball a lot this season, and in asking Fehoko to bulk up to be a TE Hybrid, I think Dallas is planning on running a lot more out of 3 WR sets. I think Brown’s sudden improvement (along with his great blocking) also gives a nice option to use as the 3rd receiver if they want to run out of that formation.

And if they try to use a LB on Fehoko… he’ll be going deep a lot, I think. He has improved by leaps and bounds and with his size and speed, he definitely can cause some problems for defenses.

It could be very effective for Dallas… particularly before Gallup is back.

I know none of this is groundbreaking or anything, but it is how I expect Dallas to use Fehoko (and possibly Brown) as a pseudo TE. This video gives some very good examples of what I’m talking about. And Kollmann is just so good. If you have 15 minutes to spare, it is well worth it.

I will tell you that the video is sponsored, so from about 7:53 to 9:00 he talks about the sponsor. When you get to the part where he starts talking about it, just fast forward to the 9:00 mark to skip it if you wish.

Anyway, here is the video. I hope you enjoy.

Good read.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't see teams using a LB to defenses fehoko. Some form of nickle or dime if we use a wr at a traditional TE spot.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don't see teams using a LB to defenses fehoko. Some form of nickle or dime if we use a wr at a traditional TE spot.
Not at a traditional TE spot. In a 3 WR set, but use him to block.

That’s kind of the point. If the defense is in a nickel or dime, then they’ll run against it. Fehoko, like Cooper Kupp should be a good blocker at his size.

Did you watch the embedded video?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not at a traditional TE spot. In a 3 WR set, but use him to block.

That’s kind of the point. If the defense is in a nickel or dime, then they’ll run against it. Fehoko, like Cooper Kupp should be a good blocker at his size.

Did you watch the embedded video?

How good can hw block? Maybe if they used brown this is plausible

Big D

Reaction score
I would definitely use fehoko at tight end and I would take it a step further and use Ferguson at fullback.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
How good can hw block? Maybe if they used brown this is plausible
Yeah, that’s what I was saying in the OP. Brown might be the best blocking WR in the league. He absolutely could do it. And with him picking up his game this year, I expect to see it some. Particularly early in the season while Gallup is out. They’ll probably use some proper two TE sets (12 personnel) just using Lamb and one other WR… but I do think they’ll also use a lot of the 11 personnel where they’ll run out of it using Brown or Fehoko as a pseudo TE.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Typically the whole “hybrid” stuff is never a good idea. If you want a tight end go get one.
They don’t want a TE there though. They want a WR that can really block well, like what he talks about in the video.

Assuming what I’m saying here is correct.

They already had Brown who is a very good blocking WR, and they might use him in this instance. The fact that he seems to have improved so much this season bodes well for that. But I think they want a faster guy doing it as well, so they asked Simi to gain a little size.

We will see soon enough if they’re running a lot out of 11 personnel.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Problem is he needs to be equally good at actually playing WR or else it's not going to work.

It'd be the whole Martellus Bennett situation again where the team never used him as a receiving threat and so any time he came on the field you could basically assume a run. The 12 formation became a 6 OL formation, for all intents and purposes. Bennett wasn't even a bad receiver, the team just never used him in the passing game.

Equal parts blocking and receiving is what is required.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Since Simi Fehoko and McCarthy both talked about how the team asked Fehoko to add weight to be a hybrid TE, I’ve been contemplating just how the Cowboys might be planning on using him. The team called it a tight end hybrid or pseudo TE. I also think the team might also use Noah Brown in a similar fashion because he is really big for a WR and might be the best blocking WR in the league.

Below is a video that illustrates what I’m thinking. It is done by Brett Kollmann, who is one of my favorite guys on YouTube to watch. He is excellent and really knows football inside and out.

In the video, Kollmann goes over how the Rams use Cooper Kupp and how the Vikings (with their new head coach being McVay’s offensive coordinator) will likely use Justin Jefferson (who was asked to block a lot at LSU, and did it very well).

Now, I know the exact way that the Rams use their 3 receiver sets won’t necessarily be the same way the Cowboys will, but I think it will be very similar in the way both will run the ball out of that formation.

Dallas has really liked using the 3 WR set (11 personnel) in the past, but they have used it more in a conventional manner. Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup running their routes, just like offenses usually do.

However, when McVay does it, he has Cooper Kupp, who is also one of the best blocking WR’s in the league. So for McVay, it is almost like a 2 TE set (12 personnel) because along with his TE he has Kupp who blocks his butt off.

So what you have is a 3 receiver set, that actually functions similar to a 2 TE set in the run game. This creates big issues for the defense because they typically counter 11 personnel with a nickel (or even dime) sub package, which obviously isn’t as strong against the run as a base defense.

In the video, Kollmann gives a stat that almost 25% of all the plays run by the Rams offense was a run out of 11 personnel. Not 25% of all running plays… it is 25% of all plays. It was very successful for McVay because obviously, they can pass out of that set just as easily. They ran it a huge part of the time.

So if defenses played the run, Stafford could pass. If defenses countered with a passing sub package, the Rams could hurt you on the ground

Clearly one of the big differences for Dallas is that Kupp (and Jefferson) are better receivers than Brown or Fehoko. However, if the Rams did throw out of a 3 WR set, it didn’t have to be Kupp getting the ball. He just got it a lot because he’s the best WR in the league and was often open. If Dak throws to Lamb or Gallup (or whoever) instead of Fehoko/Brown, the principles are still the same. The defense is still at a disadvantage if they have run-stop personnel on the field on a pass play, and vice versa.

On run plays for Dallas, Fehoko or Brown would have a clear advantage blocking a DB. Brown blocks almost like a TE anyway, and Fehoko will be big enough to be a very good blocker as well.

We know that Dallas wants to run the ball a lot this season, and in asking Fehoko to bulk up to be a TE Hybrid, I think Dallas is planning on running a lot more out of 3 WR sets. I think Brown’s sudden improvement (along with his great blocking) also gives a nice option to use as the 3rd receiver if they want to run out of that formation.

And if they try to use a LB on Fehoko… he’ll be going deep a lot, I think. He has improved by leaps and bounds and with his size and speed, he definitely can cause some problems for defenses.

I know none of this is groundbreaking or anything, but it is how I expect Dallas to use Fehoko (and possibly Brown) as a pseudo TE. This video gives some very good examples of what I’m talking about. And Kollmann is just so good. If you have 15 minutes to spare, it is well worth it.

I will tell you that the video is sponsored, so from about 7:53 to 9:00 he talks about the sponsor. When you get to the part where he starts talking about it, just fast forward to the 9:00 mark to skip it if you wish.

On both sides of the ball, we like the tweeners.

Fehoko would be well advised to learn how to block.

Who was that 280 TE who thought he was the next Lynn Swann, but only bothered to think about learning to block the year before we cut him? Just a guy who wasted his chance. Oh yeah, Rico baby! A blocking TE with soft hands can have a 10 year career in the NFL.

It doesn't take much to be a functional downroster WR. But if you're functional *and can block*, you're now *useful*.
Fehokos has the added benefit of speed, which we sorely need on the field.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Problem is he needs to be equally good at actually playing WR or else it's not going to work.

Equal parts blocking and receiving is what is required.

100% correct. He has to be a good receiver. He seems much improved, so we can hope he is to the point where he could be effective in that role. If he is, it’ll be great for the offense and could make a big difference.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I do like the concept to retain more potential receivers via running back and this at tight end!

fivetwos

Reaction score

Great stuff, and you've been appropriately rewarded in the like column.

However sir, in the age of instant gratification, you're supposed say all that in three sentences or less.

It's all about snippy, short comments, usually ripping pro athletes for not being great....AKA....twitter.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Great stuff, and you've been appropriately rewarded in the like column.

However sir, in the age of instant gratification, you're supposed say all that in three sentences or less.

It's all about snippy, short comments, usually ripping pro athletes for not being great....AKA....twitter.
Facts

Rayman70

Reaction score
he wont see light of day at TE. It will be 100% wr. We are already wafer thin at wr, so moving him at times to TE makes 0 sense at all. Especially when the TE room is already talented (watch Hendershot) and crowded. I think odd man out at TE will be Sprinkle. Simi may end ^ starting week 1. Much will hinge on this weeks game in L.A. WE NEED BIG GAMES FROM THE RECEIVERS AND TIGHTENDS. Lastly, lets keep an eye on the running backs this week.,Malik Davis has a lil sumthin 2 him. His running style reminds me of Terrel Davis. Great instincts & feet and his lower half seem stout