CFZ How I Feel Fehoko Will Be Used As A Hybrid TE

Rayman70

Reaction score
Fehoko has a chance to get on the field, I'm sure any role the team ask of him he will gladly take. Using him at times as a hybrid TE is not much different that how the Falcons use Kyle Pitts. Pitts sure as hell is not your conventional TE
He is a wr. We are crowded at Te already. We are thin at wr. Logic says he will stay there.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i agree with OP that this is the best way to utilize Fehekos speed and length but i want to see some evidence from Moore that they will even try this,have they done this in TC?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be a pretty long post. I apologize in advance.

Since Simi Fehoko and McCarthy both talked about how the team asked Fehoko to add weight to be a hybrid TE, I’ve been contemplating just how the Cowboys might be planning on using him. The team called it a tight end hybrid or pseudo TE. I also think the team might also use Noah Brown in a similar fashion because he is really big for a WR and might be the best blocking WR in the league.

Below is a video that illustrates what I’m thinking. It is done by Brett Kollmann, who is one of my favorite guys on YouTube to watch. He is excellent and really knows football inside and out.

In the video, Kollmann goes over how the Rams use Cooper Kupp and how the Vikings (with their new head coach being McVay’s offensive coordinator) will likely use Justin Jefferson (who was asked to block a lot at LSU, and did it very well).

Now, I know the exact way that the Rams use their 3 receiver sets won’t necessarily be the same way the Cowboys will, but I think it will be very similar in the way both will run the ball out of that formation.

Dallas has really liked using the 3 WR set (11 personnel) in the past, but they have used it more in a conventional manner. Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup running their routes, just like offenses usually do.

However, when McVay does it, he has Cooper Kupp, who is also one of the best blocking WR’s in the league. So for McVay, it is almost like a 2 TE set (12 personnel) because along with his TE he has Kupp who blocks his butt off.

So what you have is a 3 receiver set, that actually functions similar to a 2 TE set in the run game. This creates big issues for the defense because they typically counter 11 personnel with a nickel (or even dime) sub package, which obviously isn’t as strong against the run as a base defense.

In the video, Kollmann gives a stat that almost 25% of all the plays run by the Rams offense was a run out of 11 personnel. Not 25% of all running plays… it is 25% of all plays. It was very successful for McVay because obviously, they can pass out of that set just as easily. They ran it a huge part of the time.

So if defenses played the run, Stafford could pass. If defenses countered with a passing sub package, the Rams could hurt you on the ground

Clearly one of the big differences for Dallas is that Kupp (and Jefferson) are better receivers than Brown or Fehoko. However, if the Rams did throw out of a 3 WR set, it didn’t have to be Kupp getting the ball. He just got it a lot because he’s the best WR in the league and was often open. If Dak throws to Lamb or Gallup (or whoever) instead of Fehoko/Brown, the principles are still the same. The defense is still at a disadvantage if they have run-stop personnel on the field on a pass play, and vice versa.

On run plays for Dallas, Fehoko or Brown would have a clear advantage blocking a DB. Brown blocks almost like a TE anyway, and Fehoko will be big enough to be a very good blocker as well.

We know that Dallas wants to run the ball a lot this season, and in asking Fehoko to bulk up to be a TE Hybrid, I think Dallas is planning on running a lot more out of 3 WR sets. I think Brown’s sudden improvement (along with his great blocking) also gives a nice option to use as the 3rd receiver if they want to run out of that formation.

And if they try to use a LB on Fehoko… he’ll be going deep a lot, I think. He has improved by leaps and bounds and with his size and speed, he definitely can cause some problems for defenses.

It could be very effective for Dallas… particularly before Gallup is back.

I know none of this is groundbreaking or anything, but it is how I expect Dallas to use Fehoko (and possibly Brown) as a pseudo TE. This video gives some very good examples of what I’m talking about. And Kollmann is just so good. If you have 15 minutes to spare, it is well worth it.

I will tell you that the video is sponsored, so from about 7:53 to 9:00 he talks about the sponsor. When you get to the part where he starts talking about it, just fast forward to the 9:00 mark to skip it if you wish.

Anyway, here is the video. I hope you enjoy.

Yes, Kollmann is the best of the video analysis type bloggers.

Rams had 319 runs plays from 3 WR sets. The NFL average was 214.

We saw the WR blocking up close back in the 2018 season Cowboys-Rams playoff game.
  • Side Note:
    • Noah Brown literally looks like a different player this year.
    • He played at lower weight last season and reportedly lost more weight this off-season.
    • His quickness looks fantastic. Probably 3rd in WR quickness behind CeeDee and Turpin.
  • Fehoko
    • As with Noah Brown in the past, the idea is to run against Nickel defenses.
    • A 2nd TE results in defenses going to base instead of Nickel.
    • In the past Noah Brown often pancaked NFL Strong Safeties on run plays.
    • If defenses do run base with Brown or Fehoko as the 3rd WR, then that puts a LB in coverage on a WR.
    • Fehoko appears to know what he's doing now, which was not true last season.
    • He'll get playing time if he can consistently execute his blocking assignments and make contested catches.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Whatever it takes to get him on the field if he proves to be a weapon. I like Ferguson but I don’t see him as a big threat in the passing game.
Ferguson is sneaky getting in space. Hendershot is more the pass catcher..reminds me of Jay Novacek. Sean McKean is a pure blocker at TE. That will leave Sprinkle getting cut I think. He has had a rough camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He is a wr. We are crowded at Te already. We are thin at wr. Logic says he will stay there.

I did not say he was a TE but on given plays he could line up at the position and run certain plays. Pitts at time will line up wide as a wide receiver

Rayman70

Reaction score
I did not say he was a TE but on given plays he could line up at the position and run certain plays. Pitts at time will line up wide as a wide receiver
I like your thinking here btw. I would luv for him to be like Pitts. But I just think the sitch right now might limit him to stay at wr. Maybe down the road we can try what u said. It IS intriguing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Since Simi Fehoko and McCarthy both talked about how the team asked Fehoko to add weight to be a hybrid TE, I’ve been contemplating just how the Cowboys might be planning on using him. The team called it a tight end hybrid or pseudo TE. I also think the team might also use Noah Brown in a similar fashion because he is really big for a WR and might be the best blocking WR in the league.

Below is a video that illustrates what I’m thinking. It is done by Brett Kollmann, who is one of my favorite guys on YouTube to watch. He is excellent and really knows football inside and out.

In the video, Kollmann goes over how the Rams use Cooper Kupp and how the Vikings (with their new head coach being McVay’s offensive coordinator) will likely use Justin Jefferson (who was asked to block a lot at LSU, and did it very well).

Now, I know the exact way that the Rams use their 3 receiver sets won’t necessarily be the same way the Cowboys will, but I think it will be very similar in the way both will run the ball out of that formation.

Dallas has really liked using the 3 WR set (11 personnel) in the past, but they have used it more in a conventional manner. Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup running their routes, just like offenses usually do.

However, when McVay does it, he has Cooper Kupp, who is also one of the best blocking WR’s in the league. So for McVay, it is almost like a 2 TE set (12 personnel) because along with his TE he has Kupp who blocks his butt off.

So what you have is a 3 receiver set, that actually functions similar to a 2 TE set in the run game. This creates big issues for the defense because they typically counter 11 personnel with a nickel (or even dime) sub package, which obviously isn’t as strong against the run as a base defense.

In the video, Kollmann gives a stat that almost 25% of all the plays run by the Rams offense was a run out of 11 personnel. Not 25% of all running plays… it is 25% of all plays. It was very successful for McVay because obviously, they can pass out of that set just as easily. They ran it a huge part of the time.

So if defenses played the run, Stafford could pass. If defenses countered with a passing sub package, the Rams could hurt you on the ground

Clearly one of the big differences for Dallas is that Kupp (and Jefferson) are better receivers than Brown or Fehoko. However, if the Rams did throw out of a 3 WR set, it didn’t have to be Kupp getting the ball. He just got it a lot because he’s the best WR in the league and was often open. If Dak throws to Lamb or Gallup (or whoever) instead of Fehoko/Brown, the principles are still the same. The defense is still at a disadvantage if they have run-stop personnel on the field on a pass play, and vice versa.

On run plays for Dallas, Fehoko or Brown would have a clear advantage blocking a DB. Brown blocks almost like a TE anyway, and Fehoko will be big enough to be a very good blocker as well.

We know that Dallas wants to run the ball a lot this season, and in asking Fehoko to bulk up to be a TE Hybrid, I think Dallas is planning on running a lot more out of 3 WR sets. I think Brown’s sudden improvement (along with his great blocking) also gives a nice option to use as the 3rd receiver if they want to run out of that formation.

And if they try to use a LB on Fehoko… he’ll be going deep a lot, I think. He has improved by leaps and bounds and with his size and speed, he definitely can cause some problems for defenses.

I know none of this is groundbreaking or anything, but it is how I expect Dallas to use Fehoko (and possibly Brown) as a pseudo TE. This video gives some very good examples of what I’m talking about. And Kollmann is just so good. If you have 15 minutes to spare, it is well worth it.

I will tell you that the video is sponsored, so from about 7:53 to 9:00 he talks about the sponsor. When you get to the part where he starts talking about it, just fast forward to the 9:00 mark to skip it if you wish.

When AsthmaField talks, people listen.

conner01

Reaction score
I could see that some as well as with brown who is a decent blocker
But I think we will use a lot of 2 TE sets too
What ever the set the key is too be able to run or pass out of the set and mix it up more
I hope to see a lot more creativity and a lot more of pollard
Zeke will be the workhorse but we need to get the ball in pollards hands more in both run and pass situations

conner01

Reaction score
Posts like these aren't too long and it sucks that these aren't more of the norm.

Good stuff. My first thought was that he could be our new Noah Brown in that he could be used as a traditional WR some snaps and then could then be a pre-snap motion to an off line TE type position/vice versa. My hope is that Fehoko will have a higher ceiling than Brown(at same year intervals) and could present more of a mid to deep threat option than Brown.
I don’t like most long posts because they say the same thing you could say in a much shorter post
But some post, like this one is long by necessity and those I don’t mind. Whether I agree or disagree I appreciate the work

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
he wont see light of day at TE. It will be 100% wr. We are already wafer thin at wr, so moving him at times to TE makes 0 sense at all. Especially when the TE room is already talented (watch Hendershot) and crowded. I think odd man out at TE will be Sprinkle. Simi may end ^ starting week 1. Much will hinge on this weeks game in L.A. WE NEED BIG GAMES FROM THE RECEIVERS AND TIGHTENDS. Lastly, lets keep an eye on the running backs this week.,Malik Davis has a lil sumthin 2 him. His running style reminds me of Terrel Davis. Great instincts & feet and his lower half seem stout
If you read the OP and watched the embedded video, I am saying he will play 100% at WR. I’m not saying at all that he’s going to play TE. Thus the pseudo.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
**Public Service Announcement**

I am not saying that Fehoko or Brown will actually play Tight End. I am saying they’ll play WR. AIl is explained in the OP and in the embedded video.

Now back to your regular scheduled reading.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score

Yeah he maybe a over the middle type. Good hands.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

It's interesting to me that they had Simi work to add bulk and Noah Brown to lose some. Brown's blocking has been a big reason he's lasted this long.

I'm hoping both are ready to contribute because expecting rookies to fill the void feels like a big ask, especially early in the season.