How I'd gameplan for the Bears.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Offensively, there are some things that Dallas could do to take advantage of the Bears' defense.

First, I think we all understand that the way to attack the Cover-2 is TEs down the seam but the Bears also know this. They've gone away from the Cover-2 the first two weeks more than that had in the past but I don't know if that's due to a new defensive philosophy or the fact they've faced two teams whose TE is their primary receiving threat.

If they play primarily Cover-2, Witten early and often, if it's not, slants to the WRs and out and ups (both Vasher and Tillman have a tendency to jump routes).

Lots of screens and draws early. Get the defensive lineman moving. Dallas is one of the few teams with the size and strength on the offensive line to exploit the Bears biggest weakness, lack of size and depth on the DL especially at DT. Wear them down then beat them in the second half.

I'd also spread them out. Three wides and Witten in the slot on early downs. If they want to play their base defense, Witten or Hurd on Archuleta is a matchup that has to have Dallas salivating. Romo just has to recognize the coverage. If they chose to bring in their nickel, Dallas has the horses on the right side to eat up yardage in chunks by motioning Witten back in to lead block. What makes me the happiest this year is that I see Garrett dictating things to the opponent rather than the other way around.

I'd also run a lot of two TEs, running high lows over the middle with Witten and Fasano, forcing Urlacher to think.

I know this will be the most controversial item but I'd feature Jones much more that Barber this week. I'd take two or three or four yards up the middle for two reasons. One, it's going to wear down the DTs as I mentioned earlier and two, the Bears have too much speed at DE and LB to bounce things outside and Dallas cannot afford to have second or third and 10+. Chicago is too dangerous when they can pin their ears back on long yardage.

I'll post my defensive thoughts later.

Reaction score
I would definitely come out throwing the ball a lot against that cover two defense, using the TE often!

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1658638 said:
I would definitely come out throwing the ball a lot against that cover two defense, using the TE often!
how about using the TE'S? we have 2 other good ones in fasano and curtis

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I absolutely agree SS.

I mentioned in a different thread that as part of wearing them out I would save Julius until late in the game. pound them to death with Barber. beat them up. Then when they are tired and slowed, let them try to catch him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Those are some really good points.

i think if we use a 2 TE set with Witten and Fasano and Jones in the backfield we can get some mileage out of motioning Witten into the slot to get good matchups or spread the defense to give Jones room to run or throwing screens and running draws to Julius.

AtlCB

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1658628 said:
Offensively, there are some things that Dallas could do to take advantage of the Bears' defense.

First, I think we all understand that the way to attack the Cover-2 is TEs down the seam but the Bears also know this. They've gone away from the Cover-2 the first two weeks more than that had in the past but I don't know if that's due to a new defensive philosophy or the fact they've faced two teams whose TE is their primary receiving threat.

If they play primarily Cover-2, Witten early and often, if it's not, slants to the WRs and out and ups (both Vasher and Tillman have a tendency to jump routes).

Lots of screens and draws early. Get the defensive lineman moving. Dallas is one of the few teams with the size and strength on the offensive line to exploit the Bears biggest weakness, lack of size and depth on the DL especially at DT. Wear them down then beat them in the second half.

I'd also spread them out. Three wides and Witten in the slot on early downs. If they want to play their base defense, Witten or Hurd on Archuleta is a matchup that has to have Dallas salivating. Romo just has to recognize the coverage. If they chose to bring in their nickel, Dallas has the horses on the right side to eat up yardage in chunks by motioning Witten back in to lead block. What makes me the happiest this year is that I see Garrett dictating things to the opponent rather than the other way around.

I'd also run a lot of two TEs, running high lows over the middle with Witten and Fasano, forcing Urlacher to think.

I know this will be the most controversial item but I'd feature Jones much more that Barber this week. I'd take two or three or four yards up the middle for two reasons. One, it's going to wear down the DTs as I mentioned earlier and two, the Bears have too much speed at DE and LB to bounce things outside and Dallas cannot afford to have second or third and 10+. Chicago is too dangerous when they can pin their ears back on long yardage.

I'll post my defensive thoughts later.
Good post. I'd run JJ early and run Barber once the defense gets tired.

Defensively, the Cowboys have to put pressure on Grossman. He becomes erratic when pressured. I am nervous leaving either of the corners one on one. If Newman was healthy, the defensive game plan would be easier, since Newman would easily take away one of their receivers. Wade Phillips will have to move Roy Williams around and disguise his intentions. Williams should also spend about 75% of the first down plays near the line of scrimmage to help out in the run game. The Bears will try to exploit Jay Ratliff in the middle. A combination of James and Williams helping against the run should neutralize this threat. The key is to move him around and keep Grossman guessin. If Grossman doesn't know where Roy Williams is, he will be forced into sacks, bad passes, and interceptions. Phillips will also need to move Ware and Spencer around to make it more difficult for the Bears to double Ware.

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1658644 said:
how about using the TE'S? we have 2 other good ones in fasano and curtis

You know you're right I do like the young stable of TE's Dallas has right now... I believe Romo has to find them in order to win Sunday night.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1658656 said:
You know you're right I do like the young stable of TE's Dallas has right now... I believe Romo has to find them in order to win Sunday night.
i would like to see some playaction out of the bunch 3TE set

blindzebra

Reaction score
I'd go with Barber and Jones in the backfield with a 2 TE set...split Jones out at WR, motion a TE to the side Jones is, pitch to Barber that way, and bring Julius around with the reverse with Fasano, Bigg, Colombo and TO leading the way.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think a solid 1st quarter is pretty important on offense.

The Bears are going to come out pretty fired up you would think(night national home game) and I would like to see the offense smoothly effective more than anything. FGs would be fine to start or even nice non-scoring drives. It will take a quarter to get a good grasp on what is going to be open later but mostly I think they need to take the first surge of defensive emotion from the Bears.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
blindzebra;1658663 said:
I'd go with Barber and Jones in the backfield with a 2 TE set...split Jones out at WR, motion a TE to the side Jones is, pitch to Barber that way, and bring Julius around with the reverse with Fasano, Bigg, Colombo and TO leading the way.

An article from today mentioned that was Norv's exact game plan from 2 weeks ago. They tried something else in the 2nd half. Not enough deep threat to back off the safeties etc.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I just don’t see the running game working earlier in the game with either back. I would come out passing. Do some roll outs, playaction, bootlegs. I think the running game will work later in the game, these guys do wear out. Keep the game close in the first half and put them away in the second.

yennor24

Reaction score
To me, The key to this game is we get ahead early to force Grossman to make plays...Benson got 100yds last week because the were never threatened by K.C., but if we get ahead of them he will press and if we play good D we can take advantage of that..

mmohican29

Reaction score
I think we will have to weather an early storm here in this game... but I think if Romo doesn't panic (and he won't), our D will make enough plays to keep us in the game early. Rex is hot to start... (0-10)

By the second quarter we start settling down and making plays. (6-13)

The third quarter we adjust and we start freeing up T.O. and Witt, and Barber makes his presence felt again at the goalline (14-13)

A turnover by Rex early in the fourth separates us slightly. We squib it and hold the Bears to one first down on their ensuing possesion. (17-13)

Witten down the seam for a huge gain and a first down. Patrick Crayton touchdown on next play. (24-13).

A good return by Hester and a completion to Berrian gives the Bears an easy field goal attempt after Roy W bats away an endzone pass. (24-16)

Nick Folk field goal following a Sam Hurd catch and run to the Bears 22. Jones is stuffed on 3rd and 2. (27-16)

Hester is drilled by Davis and the ball comes free. Cowboys grind down to the 6, but Romo overthrows T.O. on a fade on 3rd down with 1:56 left.

FG (Folk, 22yd) 1:53. (30-16)

Final.

Dallas Cowboys 30, Chicago Bears 16

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
For the most part, let's just say we feel *much* better with Garrett than Tuna calling the plays.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1658673 said:
I just don’t see the running game working earlier in the game with either back. I would come out passing. Do some roll outs, playaction, bootlegs. I think the running game will work later in the game, these guys do wear out. Keep the game close in the first half and put them away in the second.

Thats pretty much how I look at it. I think they will come out looking to stop the run, so pass to set it up. Pound them late.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
mmohican29;1658722 said:
I think we will have to weather an early storm here in this game... but I think if Romo doesn't panic (and he won't), our D will make enough plays to keep us in the game early. Rex is hot to start... (0-10)

By the second quarter we start settling down and making plays. (6-13)

The third quarter we adjust and we start freeing up T.O. and Witt, and Barber makes his presence felt again at the goalline (14-13)

A turnover by Rex early in the fourth separates us slightly. We squib it and hold the Bears to one first down on their ensuing possesion. (17-13)

Witten down the seam for a huge gain and a first down. Patrick Crayton touchdown on next play. (24-13).

A good return by Hester and a completion to Berrian gives the Bears an easy field goal attempt after Roy W bats away an endzone pass. (24-16)

Nick Folk field goal following a Sam Hurd catch and run to the Bears 22. Jones is stuffed on 3rd and 2. (27-16)

Hester is drilled by Davis and the ball comes free. Cowboys grind down to the 6, but Romo overthrows T.O. on a fade on 3rd down with 1:56 left.

FG (Folk, 22yd) 1:53. (30-16)

Final.

Dallas Cowboys 30, Chicago Bears 16

Could you be a little more specific....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1658628 said:
Golden.