How I'd gameplan for the Bears.

MONT17

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1658628 said:
Offensively, there are some things that Dallas could do to take advantage of the Bears' defense.

First, I think we all understand that the way to attack the Cover-2 is TEs down the seam but the Bears also know this. They've gone away from the Cover-2 the first two weeks more than that had in the past but I don't know if that's due to a new defensive philosophy or the fact they've faced two teams whose TE is their primary receiving threat.

If they play primarily Cover-2, Witten early and often, if it's not, slants to the WRs and out and ups (both Vasher and Tillman have a tendency to jump routes).

Lots of screens and draws early. Get the defensive lineman moving. Dallas is one of the few teams with the size and strength on the offensive line to exploit the Bears biggest weakness, lack of size and depth on the DL especially at DT. Wear them down then beat them in the second half.

I'd also spread them out. Three wides and Witten in the slot on early downs. If they want to play their base defense, Witten or Hurd on Archuleta is a matchup that has to have Dallas salivating. Romo just has to recognize the coverage. If they chose to bring in their nickel, Dallas has the horses on the right side to eat up yardage in chunks by motioning Witten back in to lead block. What makes me the happiest this year is that I see Garrett dictating things to the opponent rather than the other way around.

I'd also run a lot of two TEs, running high lows over the middle with Witten and Fasano, forcing Urlacher to think.

I know this will be the most controversial item but I'd feature Jones much more that Barber this week. I'd take two or three or four yards up the middle for two reasons. One, it's going to wear down the DTs as I mentioned earlier and two, the Bears have too much speed at DE and LB to bounce things outside and Dallas cannot afford to have second or third and 10+. Chicago is too dangerous when they can pin their ears back on long yardage.

I'll post my defensive thoughts later.

its all about execution... The Bears have had Hillenmeyer in coverage while rushing Url, Witten has to beat him on a few corner routes early to force Url into coverage.... our RBs will have to take care of Briggs and Url on Blitz pickup...tall order!

Tommy Harris is back and better than ever... look for Harris to make Kosier his Biacth, too bad LA is in San Fran.

without Mike Brown I can see Garrett testing them deep... oh wait a minute our injury prone 33 year old deep threat is out (Thanks Jerry) with a bad knee!

JuJo will be useless v. the Bears D! Why, u ask? look at the last 2 games. JuJo has a bad habit of cutting before hitting the hole... this will not work v. a 4-3 that is as active as the Bears... Url and Briggs will be in the hole waiting for JuJo after he does his trade mark "Studder Cut"!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you have Witten lined up in the slot, and motion TO inside of Witten, I wonder how they cover TO going up the middle?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
When you get match-up like this Top O vs Top D,
it's so easy to over look the other side of the matchup even though it will have just as much to do with the outcome.

Since you guys came up with so many good ideas over there, I'll gameplan/ handicap Dallas Defense vs Bears Offense with T. Newman in the line-up.

This is my favorite type of offense to gameplan against, a bad one!

We need to show this offense little respect. We must attack it constantly. Grossman has practically no running ability, a mediocre arm, below average pocket presence and a tendency to turn it over. INTs and Fumbles.

Out of our base 3-4 on 1st and 2nd down.

Send 5-6 players on just about every down.
I'm thinking attack the passing game. Get our D-line up the field penetrating.
Send Ware and Spencer on just about every play. Heavy dose of Roy too.
I want to play the run on the way to the QB.

A lot of pre-snap movement and stunts. Not much need to maintain pass rush lanes with Grossman's lack of mobility. This will also make it harder for him to predict were the passing lanes will be.

Hits Hits Hits! I want Grossman Hit before he throws(aka a sack). I want him hit as he throws(poss int) and just after he throws (not allowing a good follow through).

btcutter

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1658628 said:
Offensively, there are some things that Dallas could do to take advantage of the Bears' defense.

First, I think we all understand that the way to attack the Cover-2 is TEs down the seam but the Bears also know this. They've gone away from the Cover-2 the first two weeks more than that had in the past but I don't know if that's due to a new defensive philosophy or the fact they've faced two teams whose TE is their primary receiving threat.

If they play primarily Cover-2, Witten early and often, if it's not, slants to the WRs and out and ups (both Vasher and Tillman have a tendency to jump routes).

Lots of screens and draws early. Get the defensive lineman moving. Dallas is one of the few teams with the size and strength on the offensive line to exploit the Bears biggest weakness, lack of size and depth on the DL especially at DT. Wear them down then beat them in the second half.

I'd also spread them out. Three wides and Witten in the slot on early downs. If they want to play their base defense, Witten or Hurd on Archuleta is a matchup that has to have Dallas salivating. Romo just has to recognize the coverage. If they chose to bring in their nickel, Dallas has the horses on the right side to eat up yardage in chunks by motioning Witten back in to lead block. What makes me the happiest this year is that I see Garrett dictating things to the opponent rather than the other way around.

I'd also run a lot of two TEs, running high lows over the middle with Witten and Fasano, forcing Urlacher to think.

I know this will be the most controversial item but I'd feature Jones much more that Barber this week. I'd take two or three or four yards up the middle for two reasons. One, it's going to wear down the DTs as I mentioned earlier and two, the Bears have too much speed at DE and LB to bounce things outside and Dallas cannot afford to have second or third and 10+. Chicago is too dangerous when they can pin their ears back on long yardage.

I'll post my defensive thoughts later.

Bears will be thinking along the same lines. This is the perfect time to have a trick play....ie half back pass!!!! Bears thinking screen and draws and play the LB's shallow and DBs cheating to jump screen plays....hit them with a half back pass.....

Even if it's unsuccessful, it'll get them thinking more and slow down pursuit.

silverblue

Reaction score
Future 585;1658742 said:
Thats pretty much how I look at it. I think they will come out looking to stop the run, so pass to set it up. Pound them late.

No way, we have to see how our OL is going to handle chcago D first with runs

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Didn't SD try to run 2-TEs and it didn't work, though?

Seems to me the problem with that is that their cover-2 style LBs are quick enough to cover TEs, as opposed to... Well, like ours. :(

And 2-TEs bunches everything up inside, making it easier to stop the run. I dunno, theoretically you overpower a smaller, quicker team, but that rarely seems to work. If they stopped LJ and LT, I think they can stop us from running.

If we had Glenn, I'd actually try to spread them out a little. I still might, because I think we're going to have to throw on them. IMO Romo is going to have to win this game. Giving him more options will only make it easier on him. I'm not sure who they'd cover a slot WR with (Manning?), but I'm putting T.O. in the slot and throwing to him.

And on D, I think this isn't the game to change what we've been doing. I'd actually play off the WRs and force Grossman to make throw after throw and methodically execute properly all the way down the field. As aggressive as he is, that'll drive him nuts -- he'll want a bigger play. And then he might start throwing deeper, forcing balls into coverage, and giving us some INTs.

silverblue

Reaction score
LT and Michael turner got enough yards on the ground to get a win against the bears and also they won the TOP by a wide margin. We have got to run. SD beat them and they ran about 50% of the time

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Easier said then done attacking the middle vs the Bears Cover 2 defense.

Their LBs can cover just about anything. Brian Urlacher is no Brady James covering the deep middle, that's for darn sure.

To be successful vs the Bears you HAVE to establish the run.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1659214 said:
Didn't SD try to run 2-TEs and it didn't work, though?

Seems to me the problem with that is that their cover-2 style LBs are quick enough to cover TEs, as opposed to... Well, like ours. :(

And 2-TEs bunches everything up inside, making it easier to stop the run. I dunno, theoretically you overpower a smaller, quicker team, but that rarely seems to work. If they stopped LJ and LT, I think they can stop us from running.

If we had Glenn, I'd actually try to spread them out a little. I still might, because I think we're going to have to throw on them. IMO Romo is going to have to win this game. Giving him more options will only make it easier on him. I'm not sure who they'd cover a slot WR with (Manning?), but I'm putting T.O. in the slot and throwing to him.

And on D, I think this isn't the game to change what we've been doing. I'd actually play off the WRs and force Grossman to make throw after throw and methodically execute properly all the way down the field. As aggressive as he is, that'll drive him nuts -- he'll want a bigger play. And then he might start throwing deeper, forcing balls into coverage, and giving us some INTs.

Rivers was making awful decisions and they dont have anyone on the outside worth noting. Im not staying in the classic 2 TE formation you can motion into a lot of dirrerent looks depending on what the defense is doing. Witten and Fasano are good at blocking at the line or motioning out wide. They also look better motioning back into a lead blocker than they did last year.

chargrove

Reaction score
I've never played a down of organized football in my life. Based on what I'm reading here, is the general consensus to spread out their D when we have the ball and play off in coverage when we're on D?