CFZ How impactful has Jason Peters been?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Jason Peters hasn't made a huge impact on the field as a blocker for the Dallas Cowboys this season. But you have to take into account his overall impact on the young players.

There are many reports of Jason Peters giving Tyler Smith advice and coaching on how to play the position of Left Tackle better - even during games. You have to wonder if Tyler Smith would have played as well as he has without the sideline coaching coming from Jason Peters. And this might not be limited to just coaching up Tyler Smith. He apparently relishes the opportunity to help his younger linemates become better players. Has he also helped McGovern? What about Steele?

I think everyone remembers the impact that Tony Romo had on a young rookie QB named Dak Prescott in 2016. And after Romo left, Dak's play dropped off. Sometimes, the value of a player/coach in the locker room can be overlooked. I think Peters may have a future either as a coach or, if he also has the gift of gab, he might become a good color commentator like Romo has become. Given that Peters family is from east Texas, keeping him around as an assistant offensive line coach after this season is something the Cowboys should seriously consider.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This is a good question. I have seen him and Smith road grade more than once. It’s impressive. Peters problem is that he is 40 and needs to get in better football shape. Not sure he is an every snap guy anymore. No doubt he is a great guy to have in the OL room and leading in the locker room.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jason Peters hasn't made a huge impact on the field as a blocker for the Dallas Cowboys this season. But you have to take into account his overall impact on the young players.

There are many reports of Jason Peters giving Tyler Smith advice and coaching on how to play the position of Left Tackle better - even during games. You have to wonder if Tyler Smith would have played as well as he has without the sideline coaching coming from Jason Peters. And this might not be limited to just coaching up Tyler Smith. He apparently relishes the opportunity to help his younger linemates become better players. Has he also helped McGovern? What about Steele?

I think everyone remembers the impact that Tony Romo had on a young rookie QB named Dak Prescott in 2016. And after Romo left, Dak's play dropped off. Sometimes, the value of a player/coach in the locker room can be overlooked. I think Peters may have a future either as a coach or, if he also has the gift of gab, he might become a good color commentator like Romo has become. Given that Peters family is from east Texas, keeping him around as an assistant offensive line coach after this season is something the Cowboys should seriously consider.
Agreed, Peters likely has been more influential on the sidelines than with his actual play. Also, this devolves into a Dak/Romo debate in 3...2...

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I think everyone remembers the impact that Tony Romo had on a young rookie QB named Dak Prescott in 2016. And after Romo left, Dak's play dropped off. Sometimes, the value of a player/coach in the locker room can be overlooked.
I thought it was butt fumble who was mentoring Dak and not Romo. Please tell me if I am wrong.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what the rhyme or reason is for splitting snaps with McGovern.

I know Peters needed to get into game shape, but we should be there by now, no?

The better player should be playing every snap. OG is not a spot subject to rotation usually.

fansince68

Reaction score

Very true. Mark Sanchez (Mr Butt Fumble) also had a great impact on Dak. But that was back in the days of quarterbacking 101. I think with or without OBJ, these last weeks of the season are going to define Dak. I think Daks play down the stretch will have an unfair impact on Mike McCarthys' career as well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m trying to figure out what the rhyme or reason is for splitting snaps with McGovern.

The better player should be playing every snap. OG is not a spot subject to rotation usually.
McGovern has been good.

I'm not certain that Peters can play LT at this point. For a few snaps yes, but for a full game the lack of conditioning likely shows up even more at LT than at LG.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Lol. It wasn’t Romo. It was Moore. When he broke his leg, Garrett had him doing coaching tasks.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

It’s a long season. Putting Peters in full time now could actually hurt us since he’s also our only qualified backup at OT. As the season wears on and we begin the playoffs, having him as the primary backup at guard and tackle when someone goes down may be extremely valuable. Meanwhile, McGovern is not yet falling on his face. A decision on him needs to be made this off-season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McGovern has been good.

I'm not certain that Peters can play LT at this point. For a few snaps yes, but for a full game the lack of conditioning likely shows up even more at LT than at LG.
So, theoretically, same with Tyron if/when he returns. One is ten years younger, but still.

Will they rotate Tyron and Tyler at first?

It just seems odd that OL would rotate. Either you can play or you can’t. You’re in shape or you’re not. Most of all, either you’re the better guy or you’re not.

I concede I could be missing something here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So, theoretically, same with Tyron if/when he returns. One is ten years younger, but still.

Will they rotate Tyron and Tyler at first?

It just seems odd that OL would rotate. Either you can play or you can’t. You’re in shape or you’re not. Most of all, either you’re the better guy or you’re not.

I concede I could be missing something here.
NO way !

Peters and TS need to be the swing guys for now. you do not upset the OL like that,.. 73 been playing well you don't start moving him in and out. these dudes are great insurance for an injury or say played in a big game is playing poorly , then you make the move,

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I think having that veteran presence in a position group cannot be overrated. Anyone remember when Jaylon Smith and LVE both made the pro bowl and looked like the two best young LBs in the league? I can't help but think that having Sean Lee around as a player-coach on the field with them made the difference.

Having Peters and Tyron around for our young left tackle is incredible. Not every day you get to learn from two hall of famers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
NO way !

Peters and TS need to be the swing guys for now. you do not upset the OL like that,.. 73 been playing well you don't start moving him in and out. these dudes are great insurance for an injury or say played in a big game is playing poorly , then you make the move,
Not disagreeing. I recognize the importance of “cohesion” on an OL….but where is that line drawn?

Leaving TWO future HOF on the bench? It’s a good problem to have, but definitely one worth discussing.

I mean, there no doubt that last year when Collins was added to the lineup and Williams removed, we were getting better on paper and in the minds of the coaches…..then they proceeded to play much worse on the whole.

Id personally go with Tyron at LT and Tyler at LG, but keep a close eye on its effectiveness.

Those two on the left side could be serious road graders. Same as the other HOFer and Steele on the right. If we have an OL that can dominate in the run game, I like our chances to make a deep run, even without a playoff home game.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Personally, what I'd like to see when Tyron Smith returns is him moving to the guard position and leaving Tyler Smith at the LT spot. I think those two could be a buzzsaw on that side of the O-Line.

conner01

Reaction score

At his age it may be more about preserving him than game shape. But at 40 you don’t get in shape as fast I suppose
I think the biggest impact so far has been as an extra coach, teacher and mentor

Jipper

Reaction score
Personally, what I'd like to see when Tyron Smith returns is him moving to the guard position and leaving Tyler Smith at the LT spot. I think those two could be a buzzsaw on that side of the O-Line.

yeah, i agree, that might be incredible. Might extend tryon's career a few more years too.

fivetwos

Reaction score
At his age it may be more about preserving him than game shape. But at 40 you don’t get in shape as fast I suppose
I think the biggest impact so far has been as an extra coach, teacher and mentor
I can see that, yep.

I personally like McGovern as a backup and in that fullback role. They seem to have gone away from that even when Peters is at guard.

I still think you’ve got to play Tyron at LT if and when he is ready to go. I also don’t see how you bench a guy like Tyler.

This could really come together well, but are we actually allowed to have nice things?