CFZ How impactful has Jason Peters been?

erod

Reaction score
I doubt that Peters could play a full game now, and certainly not multiple games.

He's invented a new position: Situational interior lineman.

morat1959

Reaction score
Jason Peters hasn't made a huge impact on the field as a blocker for the Dallas Cowboys this season. But you have to take into account his overall impact on the young players.

There are many reports of Jason Peters giving Tyler Smith advice and coaching on how to play the position of Left Tackle better - even during games. You have to wonder if Tyler Smith would have played as well as he has without the sideline coaching coming from Jason Peters. And this might not be limited to just coaching up Tyler Smith. He apparently relishes the opportunity to help his younger linemates become better players. Has he also helped McGovern? What about Steele?

I think everyone remembers the impact that Tony Romo had on a young rookie QB named Dak Prescott in 2016. And after Romo left, Dak's play dropped off. Sometimes, the value of a player/coach in the locker room can be overlooked. I think Peters may have a future either as a coach or, if he also has the gift of gab, he might become a good color commentator like Romo has become. Given that Peters family is from east Texas, keeping him around as an assistant offensive line coach after this season is something the Cowboys should seriously consider.
So Romo mentored Dak on how to lose playoff games? Both were and are gamers in the playoffs…makes perfect sense.

RS12

Reaction score
I have heard in more than one interview with Tyler Smith, him talk about "film sessions with Jason" and giving Peters credit for in game adjustments that he pointed out to him. Anecdotal evidence indicates Peters value off the field has been way more important than on ot.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Very true. Mark Sanchez (Mr Butt Fumble) also had a great impact on Dak. But that was back in the days of quarterbacking 101. I think with or without OBJ, these last weeks of the season are going to define Dak. I think Daks play down the stretch will have an unfair impact on Mike McCarthys' career as well.
So you don't like or believe in Dak, bro?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
At this point he's a good veteran backup to have on the roster. He's clearly not the player he was in his prime. The feet just aren't quick anymore.
I've said it since Day 1 that due to age, oversize, lack of mobility and wear-n-tear, Peters would not become starter material anymore. I got berated for my opinion. Time proved someone right.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I've said it since Day 1 that due to age, oversize, lack of mobility and wear-n-tear, Peters would not become starter material anymore. I got berated for my opinion. Time proved someone right.

"I told you so" never really adds anything to any conversation. If you are right, you don't need credit for it. Being right is enough on its own - or should be. And getting credit from yourself is all you really need. Outside credit doesn't matter so much.

Maybe I say that because I'm 57 years old, and have been right on a lot of things in my life. But it never helped me where it matters most - in relationships. Being right just isn't as important to me anymore. But building lasting relationships has become much more important.

Frankly, I've gotten to where I value being wrong, because it means that someone taught me something, and I've learned something new. There is a lot of personal freedom that comes when you cease caring about being right, and start caring more about the value others have. Not worrying about defending yourself on an ego level is really a much more peaceful way to live.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"I told you so" never really adds anything to any conversation. If you are right, you don't need credit for it. Being right is enough on its own - or should be. And getting credit from yourself is all you really need. Outside credit doesn't matter so much.

Maybe I say that because I'm 57 years old, and have been right on a lot of things in my life. But it never helped me where it matters most - in relationships. Being right just isn't as important to me anymore. But building lasting relationships has become much more important.

Frankly, I've gotten to where I value being wrong, because it means that someone taught me something, and I've learned something new. There is a lot of personal freedom that comes when you cease caring about being right, and start caring more about the value others have. Not worrying about defending yourself on an ego level is really a much more peaceful way to live.
You don't get it. There is a certain bunch who attack one's views when they don't fall in line with the masses. Just pointing out to them indirectly by addressing myself as to who was correct about said subject. If that bothers you, too bad. Heed your own advice and keep your personal advice to yourself. Just saying.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
You don't get it. There is a certain bunch who attack one's views when they don't fall in line with the masses. Just pointing out to them indirectly by addressing myself as to who was correct about said subject. If that bothers you, too bad. Heed your own advice and keep your personal advice to yourself. Just saying.

Fait enough.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jason Peters hasn't made a huge impact on the field as a blocker for the Dallas Cowboys this season. But you have to take into account his overall impact on the young players.

There are many reports of Jason Peters giving Tyler Smith advice and coaching on how to play the position of Left Tackle better - even during games. You have to wonder if Tyler Smith would have played as well as he has without the sideline coaching coming from Jason Peters. And this might not be limited to just coaching up Tyler Smith. He apparently relishes the opportunity to help his younger linemates become better players. Has he also helped McGovern? What about Steele?

I think everyone remembers the impact that Tony Romo had on a young rookie QB named Dak Prescott in 2016. And after Romo left, Dak's play dropped off. Sometimes, the value of a player/coach in the locker room can be overlooked. I think Peters may have a future either as a coach or, if he also has the gift of gab, he might become a good color commentator like Romo has become. Given that Peters family is from east Texas, keeping him around as an assistant offensive line coach after this season is something the Cowboys should seriously consider.

For some reason, I disagree. He has made key plays and key blocks when his number was called. He's subtle. But I've seen him catching shade on social media, and from what I can tell, it's undeserved based on what he's put on tape thus far.

But that's just me. What do I know?

I have heard in more than one interview with Tyler Smith, him talk about "film sessions with Jason" and giving Peters credit for in game adjustments that he pointed out to him. Anecdotal evidence indicates Peters value off the field has been way more important than on ot.

I think just given Smith's nature, he's less interested in being a coach-type, whereas Peters seems to thrive in that role.

I actually hope he sticks around Dallas, at least as an assistant coach/OL coach.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This fan base is so Polliana Goldy Gal.
Yes, wayward lads, I am besides myself with disappointment (and I wish he'd go away) that you louts would want to fill our sidelines with the marginal who are nonetheless "mentors.":rolleyes:

Me? I prefer players who excel and leave the inspiration and mentoring to coaches and agents.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I actually hope he sticks around Dallas, at least as an assistant coach/OL coach.

Here we go again. The starry-eyed tossing out their good old boy coaching fantasies.
Aikman, Romo, Witten, Leach, even Kellen are coaching material. LOL LOL

Our fan base can be so naive.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Peters biggest impact has come from being Tyler Smith mentor. Smith sure is a lucky rookie having 2 Hall Of Fame caliber Left Tackles to look to for advice.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jason Peters hasn't made a huge impact on the field as a blocker for the Dallas Cowboys this season.

Peters has had a big impact with his play, IMO. A significant upgrade over McGovern/Farniok at LG, and he's probably helped Biadasz upgrade himself with more confidence about LG.
Now Biadasz is playing between two HOFers. That's gotta clear a lot of worry off his plate, and let him just execute his own responsibilities.
And Peters probably improves through the rest of the season. He's still in his camp.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not disagreeing. I recognize the importance of “cohesion” on an OL….but where is that line drawn?

Leaving TWO future HOF on the bench? It’s a good problem to have, but definitely one worth discussing.

I mean, there no doubt that last year when Collins was added to the lineup and Williams removed, we were getting better on paper and in the minds of the coaches…..then they proceeded to play much worse on the whole.

Id personally go with Tyron at LT and Tyler at LG, but keep a close eye on its effectiveness.

Those two on the left side could be serious road graders. Same as the other HOFer and Steele on the right. If we have an OL that can dominate in the run game, I like our chances to make a deep run, even without a playoff home game.
line is their age and more important as depth at this point.. I dont see an issue with it at all. Petrs hasnt even shown he can play 2 full qtrs , hes already a backup technically and ts77 will be coming off major injury the same season, depth is best for him and the DCs

i dont see an issue at al. its every players destiny to come to a point where they need to be backups or retire. not sure how being a future HOFer come into play,,they cant play Forever.

fivetwos

Reaction score
line is their age and more important as depth at this point.. I dont see an issue with it at all. Petrs hasnt even shown he can play 2 full qtrs , hes already a backup technically and ts77 will be coming off major injury the same season, depth is best for him and the DCs

i dont see an issue at al. its every players destiny to come to a point where they need to be backups or retire. not sure how being a future HOFer come into play,,they cant play Forever.
HOF talent comes into play when they can still get it done at age 40.

Peters was playing well, especially in the run game.

By the same means, I expect Tyron to play at a high level once he is able to get on the field, so it’s a tough call to leave him on the sidelines for a rookie in any case.

If that “best five” thing isn’t lip service, I don’t see how McGovern starts and a healthy Tyron is on the bench.

Hardline

Reaction score
He's been on the field on every Tony Pollard huge running play since signing here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
HOF talent comes into play when they can still get it done at age 40.

Peters was playing well, especially in the run game.

By the same means, I expect Tyron to play at a high level once he is able to get on the field, so it’s a tough call to leave him on the sidelines for a rookie in any case.

If that “best five” thing isn’t lip service, I don’t see how McGovern starts and a healthy Tyron is on the bench.
NOT AS A FT Starter, please be realistic, just stop.. my plan is better, and DC already do it with Peters and should with 77 when he gets back. great insurance off the bench , injuries can and will happen. im not moving 73 in December just because 77 is back, he needs to be worked in slowly like peters.

ill let the coaches handle it.