How is it that zeke lost his explosiveness

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Zeke made it into the league's fastest ball carrier list for week 2. I think the last time he made the list was in 2018. He was clocked at 20.23 MPH on the last play of the first half yesterday. Compared to 2016 he was clocked at 21.8 MPH in week 16. Also for a comparison, Pollard made the list on his 28 yard run being clocked at 20.7 MPH. Pollard has been on the list before but hasn't come close to the speed Zeke had when he was a rookie.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers/2021/REG/2

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke actually had a nice game yesterday. I thought he looked sharper than in a while. It just got overshadowed by Pollard.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Zeke is still explosive but he’s lost too much weight. He can’t truck guys anymore. Zeke’s problem is his vision…it’s gone to pot. He makes bad reads and often over-corrects.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I hope Zeke will take a pay cut next year and remain on the team. He still does so much to impact the game, but we cannot keep that contract.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
even though he’s the lightest in years and he’s never been hurt? He’s clearly in fantastic shape and worked hard in the offseason.

He didn't. He had some quickness and bursts yesterday. Just because he doesn't blow up a defender every run does not mean the explosives is gone.
But fans will see what they wan to see or don't want to see.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m quite tired of the Zeke slander.

Zeke is still an elite RB — let him get hot. Guarantee if he stays healthy he will be cooking late in the season.

He’s coming off a disastrous season with no preseason reps. Let everything come to form.

True.
Unfortunately there are too many blind haters to admit to this.

kskboys

Reaction score
Zeke isn't the young, productive RB that he was as a rookie but he's still a powerful RB that gets better than average yardage in the middle. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Cowboys draft a RB at some point in the next draft, though. Their highest priority is likely to be at the RT spot, since La'el Collins has been experiencing a variety of injuries, of late. Of course, the defensive secondary needs at CB will demand attention, also.
You think Joseph's a flop? Don't you think he should get a bit more time before declaring that?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He certainly appears to miss some cut back lanes yesterday and it seems he wants to bounce it outside more then he used to and when he's not going north south he's got problems. We will need both him and Pollard, but Pollard right now seems to be much quicker in making cuts and exploding through whatever is there.

Better blocking, especially form the TE's will give him that cut back lane to stay inside.
Also blame Moore, called outside runs, always to the short side of the field.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You think Joseph's a flop? Don't you think he should get a bit more time before declaring that?

Why would you even say that?? I love Joseph more than words can say . . . slight exaggeration. I'll give him another two years, at least, to prove himself.

Uh, oh! A light bulb just lit up -- Jeez, I'm already confused enough as it is -- let's not emphasize it any more, please . . . it's that dastardly Anthony Brown who put that burr in my saddle! ;)

Actually, I forgot about Mr. Joseph entirely, when I digressed about the secondary. What was I thinking? Forgive my carelessness. Yes, Joseph deserves more time -- perhaps lots of it. :eek:

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop looking at Zeke through your Pollard glasses. He will never be as explosive, quick, or twitchy. Zeke has and always have had long speed. These comparison threads are so dumb.

Start Pollard and you will see a difference in his production. Every now and then you might see a good run but most of the time he will be getting smashed. Teams are not game planning for the second back.

Pollards few runs up the middle yesterday were not productive. His gains were created getting him to the outside. As where Zekes gains were up the middle. Once again getting the dirty yards. Even in 2 or 3 yards for a 1st down. Therefore setting up other plays.
He did not get blocking to the outside, but Moore kept calling those runs. Which you need to. But he did it too much to the short side of the field. He had no lanes to cut back into.

I like the Pollard glasses comment. :muttley:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hope Zeke will take a pay cut next year and remain on the team. He still does so much to impact the game, but we cannot keep that contract.

I don’t think anyone would pay him what we would even at a paycut.

If Pollard keeps this up he’s going to be more valuable to Dallas anyways.

Big plays win football games and Tony Pollard is Barry Bonds at RB. A homerun hitter.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Pollards few runs up the middle yesterday were not productive. His gains were created getting him to the outside. As where Zekes gains were up the middle. Once again getting the dirty yards. Even in 2 or 3 yards for a 1st down. Therefore setting up other plays.
He did not get blocking to the outside, but Moore kept calling those runs. Which you need to. But he did it too much to the short side of the field. He had no lanes to cut back into.

I like the Pollard glasses comment. :muttley:

My gosh, you’re literally make it up.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
even though he’s the lightest in years and he’s never been hurt? He’s clearly in fantastic shape and worked hard in the offseason.
Why does Zeke's trajectory look like just about every other RB who's ever played the game? Hmm, good question.

Zeke has a ton of tread on his tires, both in college and the NFL. RBs wear down. It's what they do.

That said, he looked very good yesterday.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because we put a huge workload on him his first few years. And he's not the type of back to avoid contact, so he took a lot of hard hits with those carries.
The reason Zeke has lost a step is his workload going back to his days at OSU. He has had 1,685 touches in his 5 yr NFL career. And he had over 600 touches in his 3 yrs at Ohio State. That’s a ton of mileage on his tires. He’s still only 26, but his tire treads are worn down a lot.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He didn’t. It looked like he was getting quicker as game went on and almost broke a couple.

Reactions: BAT

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t think anyone would pay him what we would even at a paycut.

If Pollard keeps this up he’s going to be more valuable to Dallas anyways.

Big plays win football games and Tony Pollard is Barry Bonds at RB. A homerun hitter.

What all of you fail to realize is, Pollard also will want to be paid.