How is the secondary going to shake out?

quickccc

Reaction score
-Team used 2 premium picks at the CB position.
-We hear they are considering moving Awuzie to Safety
-Another Veteran CB fa was signed, in which they have many numbers
-Heard on several times that Nolan wants to run Quarter's Press Coverage

-It appears Nolan want big, long CB's who excel in press coverage. Both Diggs/Robinson are excellent fits
-Worley has a similar profile, probably signed to become a bridge starter for one of their prospects
-Could Awuzie play a similar role to Charles Woodson?

A 4th round pick is more a mid round developmental pick than it is a premium, It's those first 3 rounds are the ones that really count the most as
they are generally seen the more demanding in immediate contribution - per Jerry's pre/post-draft conferences

- Robinson is probably not expected that quick of a contributor as say Trevon Diggs, they may have him as a more gradual develop.
He's not as talked about as the other draftees. He's more of an unknown to most of media and Cowboys nation, and i'm limited to highlight clips and scouting
profiles so i'm leaving it totally up to the evaluation of Will McClay and his crew. My guesswork is Robinson's size/speed ratio, aggressive mentality and overall grade performance in his aggressive press coverage and 4 INTs in just this past season speaks of his INT skills.

- Daryl Worly seems like a JAG vet CB body as hes' been around and not noted as a ball hawk. But to me, hes' in the mix with Cannaday as far as CB depth and special teams.

it's the Diggs, Robinson, Brown, Jordan that i've keyed in as for as the front runners - the Awuzie to safety rumors has me puzzled in is this how
low regards he is with the new defensive staff now at CB?

and are they needing depth bodies at safety such that low regarded CB Awuzie will be ask to solidify the safety depth with only Wilson and Darian Thompson as backup safeties - sorry, but while Thompson is a good special teams guy, his coverage skills and instincts is very lacking.

- Imo, i actually think Awuzie is a better coverage CB and player than Anthony Brown, but apparently new staff sees differently, and is working accordingly
by re-signing Brown who may actually start at RCB, while rookie Diggs could likely be the new LCB.
Odd comparing an average CB turned safety such as Awuzie to Charles Woodson.. but CW (just like Aneas Williams and Rod Woodson) turned safety
when they got older and their CB Skills were in decline.
Awuzie has always been average, decent at best and hes' still young.

- I would more liken the situation as a reverse Byron Jones. Team moved Jones from average FS to a very solid coverage CB.
could Chido have similar success moving as an average CB to a more effective safety ?

- i tend to think Awuzie a better player when off line with a cushion and he can drive forward on the ball/player vs press and run.
But whenever a team is having reportedly strong considerations about moving you from CB, that's not a good indication of how they feel about him as a CB.
But for a guy that has never been a ball hawk for INTs, how is that gonna turn out at safety i wonder ?
o_O

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Outside of the Eagle game, Awuzie has always been a quality tackler for the position. Both Woods/Dix are considered below average tacklers, Awuzie is certainly better them both in that department.

Awuzie also had an helluva outstanding game vs rams - they repeatedly and purposed went after him and challenged him but he responded perfectly
Probably the best overall game he's ever had here.
;)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
A week ago I thought I knew. Now I’m not so sure. Regardless of how they addressed it in the draft I figured Brown, Chido and Lewis Were all the starters especially in contract years. Now I have no idea lol. Seems Diggs and even Robinson May have a shot at starting.

LOL ....look at this way. They've started the last 2-3 years but what we have to show for it.

quickccc

Reaction score
i can see us keeping 9 to 10 DBs - 5 CBs and 5 safeties:

Cornerbacks
- Diggs
- Brown
- Jordan
- Robinson
- Cannaday, or CJ Goodwin or Worley ?

Safeties:
-Clinton Dix
-X Woods
-Wilson
- Awuzie ?
- Thompson ?

if Awuzie is moved to safety but remains a backup, then he can immediately add depth a swing position as well with both safety and CB
Though i prefer a CB a CB,.. and a safety a safety, not bouncing between 2 different positions in a Flex role. .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cornerbacks
- Diggs
- Brown
- Jordan
- Robinson

Safeties:
-Clinton Dix
-X Woods
-Wilson
- Awuzie ?
- Thompson ?

if Awuzie is moved to safety but remains a backup, then he can immediately add depth a swing position as well with both safety and CB
Though i prefer a CB a CB,.. and a safety a safety, not bouncing between 2 different positions in a Flex role. .

I'm thinking they might go with Brown and Worley starting on the outside while they wait for Diggs to get up to speed. If they feel he's ready to go in week one, I'd guess that it's Diggs and Brown as the starters, with Lewis or Awuzie handling the inside coverage stuff in nickel.

As for safeties, I think that it will be Clinton-Dix and Wilson as the starters.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think our front 7 will make the secondary's job much easier this season. Even then I'm hoping to see our CB's shut down most offense's passing attack.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Cornerbacks
- Diggs
- Brown
- Jordan
- Robinson

Safeties:
-Clinton Dix
-X Woods
-Wilson
- Awuzie ?
- Thompson ?

-Believe Goodwin is a pure special teams guy
-Canaday might be in competition at nickel with Lewis
-I'm expecting Worley to start with Diggs or Brown
-Awuzie looks like more of a hybrid guy, will play some CB/S
-Thompson needs to go, just a serviceable backup player

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A 4th round pick is more a mid round developmental pick than it is a premium, It's those first 3 rounds are the ones that really count the most as
they are generally seen the more demanding in immediate contribution - per Jerry's pre/post-draft conferences

- Robinson is probably not expected that quick of a contributor as say Trevon Diggs, they may have him as a more gradual develop.
He's not as talked about as the other draftees. He's more of an unknown to most of media and Cowboys nation, and i'm limited to highlight clips and scouting
profiles so i'm leaving it totally up to the evaluation of Will McClay and his crew. My guesswork is Robinson's size/speed ratio, aggressive mentality and overall grade performance in his aggressive press coverage and 4 INTs in just this past season speaks of his INT skills.

- Daryl Worly seems like a JAG vet CB body as hes' been around and not noted as a ball hawk. But to me, hes' in the mix with Cannaday as far as CB depth and special teams.

it's the Diggs, Robinson, Brown, Jordan that i've keyed in as for as the front runners - the Awuzie to safety rumors has me puzzled in is this how
low regards he is with the new defensive staff now at CB?

and are they needing depth bodies at safety such that low regarded CB Awuzie will be ask to solidify the safety depth with only Wilson and Darian Thompson as backup safeties - sorry, but while Thompson is a good special teams guy, his coverage skills and instincts is very lacking.

- Imo, i actually think Awuzie is a better coverage CB and player than Anthony Brown, but apparently new staff sees differently, and is working accordingly
by re-signing Brown who may actually start at RCB, while rookie Diggs could likely be the new LCB.
Odd comparing an average CB turned safety such as Awuzie to Charles Woodson.. but CW (just like Aneas Williams and Rod Woodson) turned safety
when they got older and their CB Skills were in decline.
Awuzie has always been average, decent at best and hes' still young.

- I would more liken the situation as a reverse Byron Jones. Team moved Jones from average FS to a very solid coverage CB.
could Chido have similar success moving as an average CB to a more effective safety ?

- i tend to think Awuzie a better player when off line with a cushion and he can drive forward on the ball/player vs press and run.
But whenever a team is having reportedly strong considerations about moving you from CB, that's not a good indication of how they feel about him as a CB.
But for a guy that has never been a ball hawk for INTs, how is that gonna turn out at safety i wonder ?
o_O

-I believe they had a 3rd rd grade on Robinson. Yes, he is more of a developmental player, but wouldn't surprise me if he's a starter year 2
-Brown has the length they seek at the position, as does Worley.
-Didn't try to compare Awuzie with Woodson, just the role within the defense. Awuzie did play safety in college. Might be his better spot.
-Awuzie's biggest issue is locating the football when his back is turned to the QB. I actually brought up the idea of a switch a year ago.
-It is quite possible both Awuzie/Lewis aren't resigned after this season, same goes for Woods. This new staff never drafted them.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Believe Goodwin is a pure special teams guy
-Canaday might be in competition at nickel with Lewis
-I'm expecting Worley to start with Diggs or Brown
-Awuzie looks like more of a hybrid guy, will play some CB/S
-Thompson needs to go, just a serviceable backup player

- Goodwin is indeed strictly a special teams - but he is one of the better SP guys we have and team has to be committed to giving
new special teams coach Fassel the best chances at succeeding.
-if Lewis is everything his cheer root fans are clamming him out to be, he should win the 3rd CB/slot role over journey like Cannaday,etc.
- Worley starting over incumbents awuzie, brown or lewis would be surprising to me.
- Awuzie looks like a CB that has been too inconsistent and apparently not the preferred CB starter among new staff
- Thompson was also regarded as one of the teams better SP guys; and he's recently re-signed so he'll have to be beaten for last 4th-5th safety role
o_O

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Goodwin is indeed strictly a special teams - but he is one of the better SP guys we have and team has to be committed to giving
new special teams coach Fassel the best chances at succeeding.
-if Lewis is everything his cheer root fans are clamming him out to be, he should win the 3rd CB/slot role over journey like Cannaday,etc.
- Worley starting over incumbents awuzie, brown or lewis would be surprising to me.
- Awuzie looks like a CB that has been too inconsistent and apparently not the preferred CB starter among new staff
- Thompson was also regarded as one of the teams better SP guys; and he's recently re-signed so he'll have to be beaten for last 4th-5th safety role
o_O

-I believe they will carry one of Goodwin/Canady as both are strong special teams players
-If Lewis fails to win the nickel CB job, his future status is sealed, won't be resigned
-I disagree about Worley. I believe he was brought in as a bridge starter until one of their prospects is ready to become a full-time starter. He fits their profile at the position, where Awuzie lacks the necessary length they want at the position. Competition will be up for the other starting spot.
-When Thompson played within the defense, there was a big drop-off in production. Perhaps they keep just 4 safeties.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think most likely Diggs and Awuzie end up on the outside with Anthony Brown in the slot. Lewis will be the films corne . Haha and X Woods will be the starting safeties.

quickccc

Reaction score
-I believe they will carry one of Goodwin/Canady as both are strong special teams players
-If Lewis fails to win the nickel CB job, his future status is sealed, won't be resigned
-I disagree about Worley. I believe he was brought in as a bridge starter until one of their prospects is ready to become a full-time starter. He fits their profile at the position, where Awuzie lacks the necessary length they want at the position. Competition will be up for the other starting spot.
-When Thompson played within the defense, there was a big drop-off in production. Perhaps they keep just 4 safeties.

i'm not understanding what is this " length ' you keep talking about ?
there isn't much difference between Worley and Chido ...and awuzie is just a tad bit taller and bigger than Anthony Brown.

Chido Awuzie
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chidobe-awuzie?id=2557840

Anthony Brown
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/anthony-brown?id=2555531

Daryl Worley
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/daryl-worley?id=2555394

- Whoever takes in these starting CB roles will be based off skill set, coverage performance and ability to get INTs, imo ... not size or " length " .

- and watch the Anthony Brown movement because it could turn up shiny in rewards.. or a nightmare mistake if he is asked to start on the outside.
as Brown has displayed the same lack of turn and play that Awuzie has developed since their college days.

when Brown has made his share of INT turnovers, it was when he was in forward motion. My question would be does the new defensive staff
see more INT chances with Brown than they do with Chido ? Its no set in stone yet as i've heard the term " considering" as maybe they need to
see Chido in play as a safety in camp and preseason games, although time missed at CB in the summer under a new DB coach and DC, techniques
schemes and assignments could cost Chido valuable experience.
o_O

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our secondary talent may take a while to reach their high point but in due time, they should rival the best that the NFL has to offer.:thumbup:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
With all the talk about Awuzie moving to S, it makes me wonder how lowly the coaches think of Xavier Woods. He was being touted as our top safety, and a lot of people seemed to think he had a good year last year. Now, it's looking like our starting safeties might be two veteran stopgaps with one year left on their contracts - Dix and Awuzie.

quickccc

Reaction score

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...e-while-reggie-robinson-develops-trevon-diggs

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i'm not understanding what is this " length ' you keep talking about ?
there isn't much difference between Worley and Chido ...and awuzie is just a tad bit taller and bigger than Anthony Brown.

Chido Awuzie
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chidobe-awuzie?id=2557840

Anthony Brown
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/anthony-brown?id=2555531

Daryl Worley
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/daryl-worley?id=2555394

- Whoever takes in these starting CB roles will be based off skill set, coverage performance and ability to get INTs, imo ... not size or " length " .

- and watch the Anthony Brown movement because it could turn up shiny in rewards.. or a nightmare mistake if he is asked to start on the outside.
as Brown has displayed the same lack of turn, and play that Awuzie has developed since their college days.

when Brown has made his share of INT turnovers, it was when he was in forward motion. My question would be does the new defensive staff
see more INT chances with Brown than they do with Chido ? Its no set in stone yet as i've heard the term " considering" as maybe they need to
see Chido in play as a safety in camp and preseason games, although time missed at CB in the summer under a new DB coach and DC, techniques
schemes and assignments could cost Chido valuable experience.
o_O

Awuzie 30 5/8
Worley 33 3/8
Diggs 32 6/8

They are implementing a press, coverage scheme and are targeting specific traits for the position. Size, length and ball skills. You look at Worley his physical traits mirror Trevon Diggs. Yes, the best players will play, but the coaches preference is to have these long CB's as they are better fits in a press coverage scheme.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
-Team used 2 premium picks at the CB position.
-We hear they are considering moving Awuzie to Safety
-Another Veteran CB fa was signed, in which they have many numbers
-Heard on several times that Nolan wants to run Quarter's Press Coverage

-It appears Nolan want big, long CB's who excel in press coverage. Both Diggs/Robinson are excellent fits
-Worley has a similar profile, probably signed to become a bridge starter for one of their prospects
-Could Awuzie play a similar role to Charles Woodson?

Chido is now our best CB. And he had his best season in 2019.

Say what you will, but the stats don’t lie. 58 catches, 3 TDS.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AwuzCh00.htm

the problem, KR is gone. So hope that Linguist and Harris are half the coaches KR was in Dallas.

visionary

Reaction score
Same here.

I'm sticking with my double digit wins prediction as the draft has only helped me to feel more confident in that.

And I'm also even more confident that the positive change, ability, and performance of this team will be stark, noticeable, undeniable, and beyond question, even by those last few remaining Garrett fans huddled over there in the corner.

except one
:grin: