How long are QB's considered Young?

HungryLion

Reaction score
The switch from young (aka, inexperienced) to veteran happens during the third season of starting. Beginning with the fourth season a QB is a full fledged veteran. Regardless of age.

This is true. I believe historically a lot of starting QB’s make a jump in production in their 4th year also.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
Luka Doncic is dominating at the age of 20.

Years aren't as critical as experience.
The NBA is a lot different than playing QB in the NFL. I think QBs see a lot more different situations than NBA players. There are less players on the floor and far fewer permutations on an NBA court.

Last edited:

JBond

Reaction score
I'm asking the question, because I really hadn't considered it out loud before. During last week's game, and virtually every week, they refer to Dak as a young quarterback. There is no question in my mind the maturation process for a QB is different that most other positions. Look at RB. After 4 or 5 years many of the RBs are already on the downhill side of their career. At what point is a QB considered experienced?

So, if a QB is young QB in year four, when does that narrative change? Is it based solely on experience? Number of games played? Age? Will Dak and the rest of the 2016 class still be young QBs next year?
No firm answer. Dak was a 4th round guy that was incredibly raw. Had some leadership traits needed to be a QB. I believe Dallas considered him a decent backup. He was pressed into the starting role due to circumstances.

This year he has taken the next step to being a legit top 5 QB. Some take more time than others. He will never be Mahomes, but he might be good enough if he continues to evolve.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm asking the question, because I really hadn't considered it out loud before. During last week's game, and virtually every week, they refer to Dak as a young quarterback. There is no question in my mind the maturation process for a QB is different that most other positions. Look at RB. After 4 or 5 years many of the RBs are already on the downhill side of their career. At what point is a QB considered experienced?

So, if a QB is young QB in year four, when does that narrative change? Is it based solely on experience? Number of games played? Age? Will Dak and the rest of the 2016 class still be young QBs next year?

You will get a lot of really dumb answers to this question.

From a media perspective, they're generally going to use that term until the QB signs his first big contract.

erod

Reaction score
The NBA is a lot different than playing QB in the NFL. I think QBs see a lot more different situations than NBA players. There are less players on the floor and far fewer permutations on an NBA court.
But 50 starts is a ton, especially for a guy that didn't declare early for the draft.