How long can the Cowboys' popularity momentum last?

Williamsboys

Reaction score
As long as Texas stays in the Union, we'll be fine, If I hear Tejas is going back to Mexico, we're skrewed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Long way to go before Jerry is going to give up trying to prove he is a "football man," if that what the OP means.

What he doesn't get is that even if Dallas wins in the next few years, it wont change anyone's opinion of him.
Right!!

We hated him while he was winning Super Bowls. He’s been the most hated sports figure in Dallas for 30 years.

It’s not just about winning . It’s how he runs football operations and intent to be face and everything Cowboys.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t speak for all locals but on the most part we really don’t care about the popularity . Most hate the America’s Team label. Being Texas’ Team is enough.

It’s delivered basically everything Landry said it would placing a target on our back and hate around the country.

I really believe our TV popularity around the country is driven more by hate than fandom.

Our popularity from fans who hopped on our wagon over the years because of our glory years has just emboldened Jerry pimping the ride.

GenoT

Reaction score
I don’t speak for all locals but on the most part we really don’t care about the popularity . Most hate the America’s Team label. Being Texas’ Team is enough.

It’s delivered basically everything Landry said it would placing a target on our back and hate around the country.

I really believe our TV popularity around the country is driven more by hate than fandom.

Our popularity from fans who hopped on our wagon over the years because of our glory years has just emboldened Jerry pimping the ride.
The Cowboys are kinda like Howard Cosell.

SI ran a poll one year, asking for votes on most liked and most disliked sportscaster.

Cosell won both categories; no one else was even close.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
They have a big and great stadium, but that stadium is 11 years old, and plenty of teams have nice new stadiums these days.

Damn it man that was sobering to read. I remember watching the first game and all the excitement that came with it when they opened the stadium. Doesn't feel that long ago. Time sucks! lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys are kinda like Howard Cosell.

SI ran a poll one year, asking for votes on most liked and most disliked sportscaster.

Cosell won both categories; no one else was even close.
Loved Howard going back to his years with Ali. His pompous arrogant style turned many off. But regardless if you liked or hated you wanted to hear his spin.

Many of my friends call me a Howard Cosell type of fan. It’s brought me much hate on these forums. And like Howard, I couldn’t care less.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But yea, Cowboys are most watched on TV cause they are most hated. There are some pockets around the country where have an unusual following .

Most of it is accountable to our 5 state regional coverage on TV and radio that Tex Schramm initiated early on and our Training Camps in Thousands Oaks. We also have many former Texas residents who over the years have retired in Arizona and Nevada which created a sizable base.

But anywhere with a region without a team or a region without a good team attracted fans to the Cowboys from the 60’s thru the 90’s.

Remember when the Cowboys joined the NFL in 1960 we were only team in the South. And only LA and SF West of us. That developed a huge base for Cowboy fans basically west of the Mississippi River and south of the Mason Dixon line.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of you mention Texas, but the Cowboys are extremely popular everywhere. Just look at the crowds at road games. Blue everywhere. Cowboys fans lead the league in hotel lobbies on the road as well. It's a phenomenon that I hope continues. I like seeing Cowboys games locally (in Michigan) almost every week. I want another Super Bowl win bad, but the lack thereof doesn't seem to affect the team's popularity one bit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What does it say about fans across the country who have abandoned their local or regional teams to hop on the Cowboys wagon?

There’s some exceptions of course if you’ve moved there or influence from family who are from Texas area but the rest are basically wagon type fans.

They are much like all of the horrid Yankee and Laker fans who have hopped on those wagons. True Diehard fans root and support their local teams regardless how much they suk.

Yes, winning makes it more fun but rooting for a loser builds character appreciating more when they finally have success.

Sports foundation is based on the local and regional support from TV viewership and attendance. If everyone abandoned their local teams sports couldn’t sustain.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Pretend for a moment that you're Jerry Jones, sitting and ruminating in your office as you gaze at the memorabilia on the walls.

Your Cowboys have the most followers on Facebook, the highest TV ratings, the most fans, the most revenue, the highest value, but they are really, just, coasting on.......something. They're coasting on the greatness of the past.

They won 5 Super Bowls.......but even the most recent was a quarter-century ago.

They've won playoff games........but only three in the past 23 years.

They have a big and great stadium, but that stadium is 11 years old, and plenty of teams have nice new stadiums these days.

They have a nice-looking uniform and helmet, but that's subjective anyway, and so do some other teams.

At a certain point, this momentum is bound to run out. How long can this continue before eventually the Cowboys see their TV ratings slipping, their value crashing, the revenue crashing, fans no longer following on Facebook, before the Cowboys become just another team, one out of 32, no more recognizable or care-about-able than any of the other 31? The youngest generation of NFL fans already cares relatively little for Dallas or about Dallas.

Using a glider as an analogy, you can glide really far by getting an immensely strong boost at the beginning, but sooner or later you're going to start to dip and crash as that momentum peters out. Are we nearing it?
:lmao2:

Somebody pissing In your Cheerios Bro.?

What an ugly little thread..

:laugh:

This team is always a sentimental fav.

That ain't going to change.

The picks like Dak, Zeke and Lamb will keep the star power flowing.

Jerrah will continue to be quotable.

McCarthy has a 5 year deal. I get the feeling he wants more SB rings.

We shall see.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True Diehard fans root and support their local teams regardless how much they suk.
Huh? Since when? I've lived in Chief and Bengal country my whole life. You think I'm every going to give either any support you couldn't be more wrong. I've been a Cowboy fan for over 50 years and I don't think you can be more of a diehard Cowboy than me.

Jipper

Reaction score
If the cubs can go 100 years and without losing their fan base and no championship I’m guessing we will be ok

leeblair

Reaction score
Pretend for a moment that you're Jerry Jones, sitting and ruminating in your office as you gaze at the memorabilia on the walls.

Your Cowboys have the most followers on Facebook, the highest TV ratings, the most fans, the most revenue, the highest value, but they are really, just, coasting on.......something. They're coasting on the greatness of the past.

They won 5 Super Bowls.......but even the most recent was a quarter-century ago.

They have a nice-looking uniform and helmet, but that's subjective anyway, and so do some other teams.

At a certain point, this momentum is bound to run out. How long can this continue before eventually the Cowboys see their TV ratings slipping, their value crashing, the revenue crashing, fans no longer following on Facebook, before the Cowboys become just another team, one out of 32, no more recognizable or care-about-able than any of the other 31? The youngest generation of NFL fans already cares relatively little for Dallas or about Dallas.

Using a glider as an analogy, you can glide really far by getting an immensely strong boost at the beginning, but sooner or later you're going to start to dip and crash as that momentum peters out. Are we nearing it?
I think it's already happened.
Many, if not most, of the older fans have been turned off by what the organization has become, and they know these are not the Cowboys we grew up admiring.
For my part, I continued to watch because I had hoped they would return to their glory days and the franchise they once were, but most of that hope is gone.
Now I find myself watching only to confirm my convictions as to what they are lacking and doing wrong.
And the NFL is to blame, as well. The NFL has become a greedy beast, and betrayed the game itself in pursuit of political correctness and money.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Red, in my opinion, the Cowboys popularity has already been waning, especially among local younger fans. Several times in the last few years, local Dallas-Ft. Worth TV ratings for Cowboys games has declined. The ratings are still good, but they are not as good as they used to be.

Most of the young men in my family, which includes 3 sons and 4 nephews, no longer watch Cowboys games or really care much about the Cowboys. They are all big sports fans, and they all grew watching and loving the Cowboys.

My sons all live in the Dallas area, and they are big Mavericks and Stars fans, and spend $ on going to their games and gear. But not on the Cowboys. They all base their feelings on the Cowboys on Jerry. They think he’s an absolute joke. The Cowboys are still very popular. But the irony is Jerry’s arrogance has killed a lot of the popularity that could have been there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Huh? Since when? I've lived in Chief and Bengal country my whole life. You think I'm every going to give either any support you couldn't be more wrong. I've been a Cowboy fan for over 50 years and I don't think you can be more of a diehard Cowboy than me.
You picked one segment out of my entire thought.

Sports would be unsustainable if everyone abandoned their local teams.

Diehard fans are those who stick by their local or Alma Mater regardless of their success.

There are some exceptions as I mentioned but most are wagon fans hopping on because of their popularity, success or individual players.

They may have developed into Diehards over the years but the inception was of Wagon means.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Red, in my opinion, the Cowboys popularity has already been waning, especially among local younger fans. Several times in the last few years, local Dallas-Ft. Worth TV ratings for Cowboys games has declined. The ratings are still good, but they are not as good as they used to be.

Most of the young men in my family, which includes 3 sons and 4 nephews, no longer watch Cowboys games or really care much about the Cowboys. They are all big sports fans, and they all grew watching and loving the Cowboys.

My sons all live in the Dallas area, and they are big Mavericks and Stars fans, and spend $ on going to their games and gear. But not on the Cowboys. They all base their feelings on the Cowboys on Jerry. They think he’s an absolute joke. The Cowboys are still very popular. But the irony is Jerry’s arrogance has killed a lot of the popularity that could have been there.
No doubt this is true with this generation. Jerry has also ran off some of our generation as well.

The problem I have is if winning or more success is all that’s needed to bring them back then they become casual fans only having interest when there’s success.

I hated how Jerry was running Cowboys football when we were winning championships. If not for Jimmy we wouldn’t have won crap.

Jerry has killed my enthusiasm and most I know but we still watch the games and root the team on. Diehards don’t need hope or optimism.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's already happened.
Many, if not most, of the older fans have been turned off by what the organization has become, and they know these are not the Cowboys we grew up admiring.
For my part, I continued to watch because I had hoped they would return to their glory days and the franchise they once were, but most of that hope is gone.
Now I find myself watching only to confirm my convictions as to what they are lacking and doing wrong.
And the NFL is to blame, as well. The NFL has become a greedy beast, and betrayed the game itself in pursuit of political correctness and money.

The fact the team outsells any other team and is the wealthiest in all sports proves that it has not happened. Before you say that doesn't lead to wins, that wasn't the point of the thread. It was about popularity.

Older fans may not like many things going on with the team, but most are still watching and rooting for wins.

As for why you watch now, this is just your admission of what was already known - that you make no effort to look at things with a fair eye where you can see both the good and bad, and your sole intent is to complain.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The consensus of many posters here is that Cowboys popularity will last forever (although some dissent).

Now, for those who do indeed think it's indestructible, what if the Cowboys put up ten consecutive 5-11 seasons? At what point would there be a mass desertion?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The consensus of many posters here is that Cowboys popularity will last forever (although some dissent).

Now, for those who do indeed think it's indestructible, what if the Cowboys put up ten consecutive 5-11 seasons? At what point would there be a mass desertion?
The thread isn't "How popular would the Cowboys be if....?"