How long can the Cowboys' popularity momentum last?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it's already happened.
Many, if not most, of the older fans have been turned off by what the organization has become, and they know these are not the Cowboys we grew up admiring.
For my part, I continued to watch because I had hoped they would return to their glory days and the franchise they once were, but most of that hope is gone.
Now I find myself watching only to confirm my convictions as to what they are lacking and doing wrong.
And the NFL is to blame, as well. The NFL has become a greedy beast, and betrayed the game itself in pursuit of political correctness and money.
They aren’t the Cowboys we grew up but we’ve known that for over 2 decades now. Where you been. They’re still our local and regional team. We’ll still tune in and cheer them on despite Jerry.

That’s all part of being a Diehard fan. Like the Saints were for 43 years with bags over their heads. Or the Brownies are in the Dogpound never sniffing a Super Bowl. That’s all part of being a fan. It’s just more fun when we’re winning.

For us ole diehards our plate has been pretty full most of our lives with 4 glorious decades of football. My sports cave doesn’t have much more room for new memorabilia. Most fans around the country for other franchises wish they could have had our lives.

It is what it is. Jerry suks , we still love the Cowboys and damn proud of our history even if it’s without as much emotion or attachment as it once was.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The consensus of many posters here is that Cowboys popularity will last forever (although some dissent).

Now, for those who do indeed think it's indestructible, what if the Cowboys put up ten consecutive 5-11 seasons? At what point would there be a mass desertion?
Great question. There probably is a time limit on it. Obviously a generation and 25 years without more success isn’t long enough.

It will probably take at least the last 2 generations dying out who grew up in championship eras. So, that’s probably at least 50 + years , probably longer, from our last championship without more success.

I’d say by like 2075 if the Cowboys haven’t returned to glory we will have lost a big chunk of our following.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What does it say about fans across the country who have abandoned their local or regional teams to hop on the Cowboys wagon?

There’s some exceptions of course if you’ve moved there or influence from family who are from Texas area but the rest are basically wagon type fans.

They are much like all of the horrid Yankee and Laker fans who have hopped on those wagons. True Diehard fans root and support their local teams regardless how much they suk.

Yes, winning makes it more fun but rooting for a loser builds character appreciating more when they finally have success.

Sports foundation is based on the local and regional support from TV viewership and attendance. If everyone abandoned their local teams sports couldn’t sustain.
You could call the Cowboys losers of late and those of us from other parts of the country are still loyal. So that applies to us as well. I've loved the Cowboys for 42 years now because Tony Hill, Tony Dorsett and the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders grabbed the attention of a 16 year old girl back in 1978. I've been "star" struck ever since. It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the local team or any other team. I see nothing wrong will rooting for a team outside your vicinity. And if what you say about local fanbases being the backbone of sports, then what's the harm in someone rooting for another team? The local team has its fan support based on your theory. As far as character, Cowboys fans have been rooting for the Cowboys for a loooong time. 25 years and counting - so this ain't no bandwagon. Want to see a fanbase with character? Just look at Cowboys Nation. We root for the Cowboys no matter how much they suk.

kazzd58

Reaction score
Pretend for a moment that you're Jerry Jones, sitting and ruminating in your office as you gaze at the memorabilia on the walls.

Your Cowboys have the most followers on Facebook, the highest TV ratings, the most fans, the most revenue, the highest value, but they are really, just, coasting on.......something. They're coasting on the greatness of the past.

They won 5 Super Bowls.......but even the most recent was a quarter-century ago.

They've won playoff games........but only three in the past 23 years.

They have a big and great stadium, but that stadium is 11 years old, and plenty of teams have nice new stadiums these days.

They have a nice-looking uniform and helmet, but that's subjective anyway, and so do some other teams.

At a certain point, this momentum is bound to run out. How long can this continue before eventually the Cowboys see their TV ratings slipping, their value crashing, the revenue crashing, fans no longer following on Facebook, before the Cowboys become just another team, one out of 32, no more recognizable or care-about-able than any of the other 31? The youngest generation of NFL fans already cares relatively little for Dallas or about Dallas.

Using a glider as an analogy, you can glide really far by getting an immensely strong boost at the beginning, but sooner or later you're going to start to dip and crash as that momentum peters out. Are we nearing it?
Never

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pretend for a moment that you're Jerry Jones, sitting and ruminating in your office as you gaze at the memorabilia on the walls.

Your Cowboys have the most followers on Facebook, the highest TV ratings, the most fans, the most revenue, the highest value, but they are really, just, coasting on.......something. They're coasting on the greatness of the past.

They won 5 Super Bowls.......but even the most recent was a quarter-century ago.

They've won playoff games........but only three in the past 23 years.

They have a big and great stadium, but that stadium is 11 years old, and plenty of teams have nice new stadiums these days.

They have a nice-looking uniform and helmet, but that's subjective anyway, and so do some other teams.

At a certain point, this momentum is bound to run out. How long can this continue before eventually the Cowboys see their TV ratings slipping, their value crashing, the revenue crashing, fans no longer following on Facebook, before the Cowboys become just another team, one out of 32, no more recognizable or care-about-able than any of the other 31? The youngest generation of NFL fans already cares relatively little for Dallas or about Dallas.

Using a glider as an analogy, you can glide really far by getting an immensely strong boost at the beginning, but sooner or later you're going to start to dip and crash as that momentum peters out. Are we nearing it?

No. We're not nearing the end.

Jerry is an entertainer. He's kept the Cowboys brand afloat for a couple decades. As long as he's doing the Jerry Show, he'll keep it afloat. After Jerry, who knows.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dallas has a bunch of things going for it:
- The old fans that remember the team being good.
- A geographic location that affords them a large fanbase
- Playing in the NFC East against 3 other large fanbases and media markets
- The late Thanksgiving day game

I think until some of that goes away, Dallas is always going to be one of the most popular teams.

JReed1000

Reaction score
We haven’t won A SuperBowl since 95 and you worried about the fan base and why the a Cowboys are still popular? Is this real?