How many 1st round ol players do you need?

Adiba1977

Reaction score
If draft one Thursday will be 3/5 are first round picks? Can’t spend more than that for ol. Only only pick this year ol. Need some athletes at lb/safety/rb/wr #2/3 etc.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think the rounds have to matter if you can find good offensive linemen elsewhere. But it does seem like if Dallas doesn't get them in the first round they do not have staying power. certainly the odds of finding a good player in the first round are better, and that goes for every position on the field.

38 Special

Reaction score
Considering that 3 out of the 5 starters on the depth chart are undrafted free agents, I think it’s safe to say that we are currently under-invested in what amounts to almost half the starting offense.

I’d be in favor of taking a LT at 24 if we are convinced that we are getting a day 1 starter there, or a trade down into the late 1st/early 2nd to target a G/C who can step in immediately.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
LT is only 2nd most important to QB, they need one or force people to move around and hope it sticks. I would say 3 1st rounders is adequate. I would prefer 5.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
jerry said he's going all special teams this year. Next year is the one that will count.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dallas needs to pick a C, LT and an LB in the 1st round and an RB in the 2nd and have all of them being homerun picks.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
stick to All American and/or first team All Conf players.

They’ve already been vetted.

Havic

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys 90s Super Bowl teams never had a single Olineman drafted in the 1st round.

Everyone demanding another 1st round pick be spent on another Olineman should think about that for a minute.

Nice stat. The game is way different from the 90s. Players are bigger, stronger, faster which is why you see big drop offs in quality olinemen out there. Not saying they can’t be found but it’s even more difficult now imo

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nice stat. The game is way different from the 90s. Players are bigger, stronger, faster which is why you see big drop offs in quality olinemen out there. Not saying they can’t be found but it’s even more difficult now imo
They are supposed to be built. If not, why have coaches? I could build these Olinemen into beasts, but they most likely would immediately cry to the player's union and nfl headquarters.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys 90s Super Bowl teams never had a single Olineman drafted in the 1st round.

Everyone demanding another 1st round pick be spent on another Olineman should think about that for a minute.
Ah, but who was choosing the groceries back then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry does not understand the talent required at the OL position. He has continuously drafted busts at OL after the first 2 rounds. And many of them were obviously going to bust. I'll never forget that scouting report on one of our OL's we drafted, said he couldn't stay on his feet. Yeah, there's a good trait for an OL to have!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
And that explains why we keep failing at drafting OL's, because we don't take the big strong guys. We take ballet dancers and expect them to learn Sumo wrestling.

Other teams find them, BTW, it's just our team that can't.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ah, but who was choosing the groceries back then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry does not understand the talent required at the OL position. He has continuously drafted busts at OL after the first 2 rounds. And many of them were obviously going to bust. I'll never forget that scouting report on one of our OL's we drafted, said he couldn't stay on his feet. Yeah, there's a good trait for an OL to have!!!!
The key is about who the Oline developer is.

Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei were undrafted free agents. Tuinei had never played on Offense until he goy to the Cowboys where he was converted from a D-Tackle to one of the best O-Tackles of the 90s. Same goes for Stepnoski. He had always played O-Tackle in college, yet once drafted by the Cowboys, he got immediately converted to Center and became one of the best Centers of the 90s. Same goes for several other 90s Olinemen.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Finally, a post of yours that I can place a like.
Offlineman should be drafted in rd 3-4 and coached up as they are NOT playmakers!

Sydla

Reaction score
If draft one Thursday will be 3/5 are first round picks? Can’t spend more than that for ol. Only only pick this year ol. Need some athletes at lb/safety/rb/wr #2/3 etc.
Well considering there are no RBs, Ss, LBs worthy of the 24 pick in this draft, I am OK with them taking a potential stud OL there.