How many 1st round ol players do you need?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We will pay Dak 60 million per year. He is no longer mobile. We will draft O line in round 1 every year so that his regular season numbers look good. This will sell a lot of jerseys and it will justify the decisions of management. This is the way.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If draft one Thursday will be 3/5 are first round picks? Can’t spend more than that for ol. Only only pick this year ol. Need some athletes at lb/safety/rb/wr #2/3 etc.
Well a lot of contenders don’t need that many….they find them throughout the draft. But for whatever reason Cowboys and their fans think they can only get linemen in the first round.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We will pay Dak 60 million per year. He is no longer mobile. We will draft O line in round 1 every year so that his regular season numbers look good. This will sell a lot of jerseys and it will justify the decisions of management. This is the way.
What do you mean he is no longer mobile lol?

CWR

Reaction score
I would be just fine going OT, then C if the value is there.

You build from the trenches and we are actually good at identifying OL players.

It's a shame we aren't nearly as good on the other side of the ball.

Aven8

Reaction score
JG is gone. We don’t have to have 1st round Olineman up and down the line for it to work. Mike has proven that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Whatever it takes to have a top tier Oline is what I prefer. Right now I don't have a ton of faith in the Cowboys ability to develop mid round guys at that position group right now. The one chance I think the Cowboys truly have to be competitive this year is to have an excellent Oline with a strong run game. That can always be the ultimate equalizer in this sport and cover some of your other flaws.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys 90s Super Bowl teams never had a single Olineman drafted in the 1st round.

Everyone demanding another 1st round pick be spent on another Olineman should think about that for a minute.
Finally, a post of yours that I can place a like.
Offlineman should be drafted in rd 3-4 and coached up as they are NOT playmakers!
so with that in mind who are you targeting in 1st round or what position? You dont draft a RB round 1 and this year there isnt anyone worth it. I prefer trade down but you need a partner. You targeting WR? You know they arent taking QB. CB maybe. The draft lines up to their needs this year Im willing to bet we see OL. They are probably too proud to take DT in round 1 although it wouldnt upset me.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
so with that in mind who are you targeting in 1st round or what position? You dont draft a RB round 1 and this year there isnt anyone worth it. I prefer trade down but you need a partner. You targeting WR? You know they arent taking QB. CB maybe. The draft lines up to their needs this year Im willing to bet we see OL. They are probably too proud to take DT in round 1 although it wouldnt upset me.
There should be partners available for trading down with. Several playoff capable teams are an O-Tackle, Center, LB or WR away from improving on their teams (ie...the 49ers, Chiefs at the end of the 1st and even the Commanders in the early 2nd round would likely be willing to move up).

starfan1

Reaction score
There should be partners available for trading down with. Several playoff capable teams are an O-Tackle, Center, LB or WR away from improving on their teams (ie...the 49ers, Chiefs at the end of the 1st and even the Commanders in the early 2nd round would likely be willing to move up).
and then how far down you moving? I like a trade down but Im still taking OL

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You can find a good O-Tackle and Center between the 3rd - 5th rounds. Too many holes to fill with better players at RB, LB, DT and WR2.
I’ve always maintained that the 3 biggest draft mistakes you guys made over the last 15 years were 1st round picks wasted on Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and Travis Frederick.

Could you imagine how much better you would have been if you spent those picks on RBs LBs, and WR2s instead? Just throw darts at the board on day 3 for Olineman, because it worked in the 90’s.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’ve always maintained that the 3 biggest draft mistakes you guys made over the last 15 years were 1st round picks wasted on Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and Travis Frederick.

Could you imagine how much better you would have been if you spent those picks on RBs LBs, and WR2s instead? Just throw darts at the board on day 3 for Olineman, because it worked in the 90’s.
Yep. 100%! Jerry got away from that, and it has hurt the Cowboys come playoff time.

morasp

Reaction score
They've spent two first round picks in the last 10 drafts on OL which makes up 5/11 or 45% of the offensive players on the field at any time. In the last 11 drafts it was three but if not for a freak illness I thought Fredrick would still be playing. Go back and look up the FA OL the Chiefs signed the season after Patrick Mahommes got beat up.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys 90s Super Bowl teams never had a single Olineman drafted in the 1st round.

Everyone demanding another 1st round pick be spent on another Olineman should think about that for a minute.
Drafting priorities have changed from 90s, OL is flying off the shelves now a days.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Drafting priorities have changed from 90s, OL is flying off the shelves now a days.
Not true. Linemen were as much important and needed during the 90s as they are today. Difference is back then coaches actually built up Olines with later draft picks.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is the best,on point thread topic I've seen in years. Kudos. Other teams find good players all the time, why is it we feel we need first and second rounders in order to field a decent line?